Truss rod question - question about the truss rod nut

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 am

Hi - I recently purchased a new CLF Doheny V12 and wanted to understand a bit more about what's considered normal for the truss rod on modern G&L necks as I may have a problem.

As I received it, the neck is dead straight - looks like no relief at all. It plays pretty well but there's more string buzz than I'd like when strumming chords so after adjusting the bridge as per manual, everything looks & feels good but I feel like it needs at least a little relief in the neck. I tried adjusting the truss rod, turning counter clockwise but it won't move at all, like when it feels dangerous to apply any more force. If I turn it clockwise, it moves and I can see the neck backbow a tiny bit, and I can then move it back counter clockwise basically back to where it started where it's stuck.

So I assume this is as loose as the trussrod gets, and I have no way to add some relief - I then have a closer look at the trussrod nut and it looks like it's off center, as if it's pushed up against the cavity entrance and can't move any further out (as it would when 'unscrewed'). I now wonder if this is a fixable issue, that would allow me to further loosen the trussrod, or this is by design? With everything as it should be, in theory - should I be able to keep unscrewing the trussrod nut until it basically comes off and out of the cavity, or is it supposed to jam up against the entrance wall?

Appreciate any insights here before I do anything further :)

Tried to capture what it looks like here -

Re: Truss rod question - question about the truss rod nut

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am

Here are some links to check out:

The G&L non-compression truss rod
Double Action Truss Rod Instruction Sheet (2016)
Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges

If you feel that the truss-rod adjustment is not working properly, contact the selling G&L dealer, and if they are local you might take it to them so that
their guitar tech can look at it. If your dealer is not local, contact G&L's Tech Support.

Hope this helps.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks - I contacted G&L tech support; they confirmed the photo looks normal at least, so thats not the problem.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 pm

I don't know what "correct" feel would be, so I am not giving any advice on what you should turn or not turn (yes, cop out). However if it is new I think it would have a dual action truss rod that might feel different when adjusted. Not that I have any idea what the correct feel would be (continuing cop out). I would ask G&L how it should operate.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:23 pm

beanjy wrote:Thanks - I contacted G&L tech support; they confirmed the photo looks normal at least, so thats not the problem.

I have one that is more off-center than that, but it still works. What you're suggesting could only be a problem if the end of the hole is slightly smaller and part of the rod is pushing against that part rather than being able to extend at all. I've definitely never encountered a rod that behaved as you described. Sometimes it's the other way around where it feels stuck when you try to tighten it but it's possible to loosen it. Loosening is usually easier than tightening, in my experience at least.

Keep us updated.

David

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 pm

Update - G&L tech support verdict from my description is that the truss rod may be stuck and not able to operate in the counter clockwise part of the dual action, so no way to force some neck relief.. so the suggestion was to send the guitar to them for a neck replacement, which seems like a good option as I really like the guitar and I had to wait for the color to be available.

Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm

I hope they mark the old neck as a second and put it up on the online store (and I get there before someone else does). :D
That might be excellent for one of my projects and I'd just throw heavy gauge strings on it if it was close to having good enough relief.