Interesting predicament with tuning peg hole

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:46 pm

I recently purchased a new (2020) Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special. I really like it a lot and it plays and sounds awesome. The only thing I didn’t cared for were the tuning pegs, so I purchased a set of locking tuners from the G&L store. When I went to replace the tuners, the B and high E holes had a LOT of play. I tried putting various tuners in there from amongst the pack, as the other holes had perfect fit. Then, I replaced them with the original tuners, thinking that something was perhaps defective, but I soon saw that there was (again) a lot of play inside of the holes (where the brushing sits). I didn’t notice this when I changed strings when I purchased the guitar, so that was weird. As a quick fix, I have wrapped some tape in certain areas to stop the movement/play in the holes. I have emailed the guys at G&L, and they are great at responding, but I wanted to check the forum to see if anyone else has thoughts on this issue - am I doing something wrong? Is using tape around bushings the best option for tightening things up? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Interesting predicament with tuning peg hole

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:35 am

guitfiddleblue wrote:I recently purchased a new (2020) Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special. I really like it a lot and it plays and sounds awesome. The only thing I didn’t cared for were the tuning pegs, so I purchased a set of locking tuners from the G&L store. When I went to replace the tuners, the B and high E holes had a LOT of play. I tried putting various tuners in there from amongst the pack, as the other holes had perfect fit. Then, I replaced them with the original tuners, thinking that something was perhaps defective, but I soon saw that there was (again) a lot of play inside of the holes (where the brushing sits). I didn’t notice this when I changed strings when I purchased the guitar, so that was weird. As a quick fix, I have wrapped some tape in certain areas to stop the movement/play in the holes. I have emailed the guys at G&L, and they are great at responding, but I wanted to check the forum to see if anyone else has thoughts on this issue - am I doing something wrong? Is using tape around bushings the best option for tightening things up? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here is what I would do to fix the enlarged holes:

1. Fill the holes with wood filler perhaps with a darker filler (just so I can see their location) and let them dry.
2. Determine the correct hole size and depth using one of the existing good holes and my set of drill bits.
3. Determine the correct location of each hole and mark the headstock locations by inserting each new tuner
into the shaft hole in the proper position and lightly tap the tuner body with a nylon or rubber mallet,
hopefully leaving an impression of the top of the locator pin in the wood.
4. Drill the holes.
5. Install the new tuners.

Hope this helps.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks for the input - that seems a bit extensive to have to go through for a brand new guitar, but it may be what needs to happen. I hope to hear back soon from G&L to see their thoughts as well. Thank you again.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:20 pm

guitfiddleblue wrote:Thanks for the input - that seems a bit extensive to have to go through for a brand new guitar, but it may be what needs to happen. I hope to hear back soon from G&L to see their thoughts as well. Thank you again.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't do that for a brand new guitar. I've also never noticed that issue on any of mine. So when you tightened the bushing all of the way there was still movement?

David

Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Hi David - I agree with you (shouldn’t have to do that with a new guitar, which makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong) - even when tightening the bushing down there was still movement in the B & high E holes. I tried the other tuners - which worked in the first four holes - and they too were loose in those holes. I also tried the original tuners again and they did the same thing, which made NO sense because they did not do that before (which again makes me wonder if I am doing something incorrect) - I am not a complete newbie to guitar, but I know that we all can overlook things from time to time, which I am hoping that’s all that this is.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:18 pm

Okay - quick update (and fix to the problem) - I went through ALL the brushings and paired them with the two tuners I was using with the B and high E holes - INCLUDING the brushings from the original tuners that came with the guitar. The original brushings worked right away with the new tuners. Weird huh? But hey - it's working now.

G&L guitars are great and this little weird predicament doesn't tarnish my view of such an outstanding company! The guitars are top notch. I own two Fullerton Deluxes and 1 Tribute. All 3 are great. Thanks to you all for chiming in while I worked this out.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 am

guitfiddleblue wrote:Okay - quick update (and fix to the problem) - I went through ALL the brushings and paired them with the two tuners I was using with the B and high E holes - INCLUDING the brushings from the original tuners that came with the guitar. The original brushings worked right away with the new tuners. Weird huh? But hey - it's working now.

G&L guitars are great and this little weird predicament doesn't tarnish my view of such an outstanding company! The guitars are top notch. I own two Fullerton Deluxes and 1 Tribute. All 3 are great. Thanks to you all for chiming in while I worked this out.

I misunderstood what part of the tuner was loose. I thought it was the locator pin hole that was enlarged. :oops:

It sounds like you were able to fix this yourself. :thumbup:

Can you show us a photo of your Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special with the G&L Locking tuners installed?

Also, please do add your G&L guitars to our G&L Registry.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:15 am

Thanks - I registered the 2 Fullerton Deluxe’s (ASAT Special and ASAT Classic) - I took a pic of the new tuners on the ASAT Special.

I took a picture of the new tuners on the ASAT Special but don’t see how to post it in here. There’s not much to show really, but I will see if I can figure out how to do that here. Thanks again everyone!

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:29 am

guitfiddleblue wrote:Thanks - I registered the 2 Fullerton Deluxe’s (ASAT Special and ASAT Classic) - I took a pic of the new tuners on the ASAT Special.

I took a picture of the new tuners on the ASAT Special but don’t see how to post it in here. There’s not much to show really, but I will see if I can figure out how to do that here. Thanks again everyone!

To post photos, see: Welcome! Read This First and look for the link to the Tutorial: Posting photos.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 am

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... alNumber=3

I think I did this right??? Anyway, I created a registered account in the gallery with 2 pics. Thanks again!

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:56 am

guitfiddleblue wrote:http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=48549&g2_serialNumber=3

I think I did this right??? Anyway, I created a registered account in the gallery with 2 pics. Thanks again!

To post the photo inline, you need to use the BBcode "img".
Here's the code:
Code:
[img]http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=48549&g2_serialNumber=3[/img]

Hope this helps.