Legacy US floating bridge set up / Hard tail

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:33 am

Just setting up my US Legacy HB. I don't use trem so if possible would like to hard tail it. I've tightened up the trem block springs under but I see the bridge is angled back. Im not sure if it was like this before I tightened the springs or not but just wondering if because this is the HB model, is the bridge normally raised a bit higher to compensate for the possibly higher Seymour Duncan or it should the bridge be flat and raised about 3/32 off the back of the guitar like a standard PU G&L

Would you normally make adjustments to the fulcrum / allen screw heads on the actual pivot points to lower action etc?

Re: Legacy US floating bridge set up / Hard tail

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 am

See: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.
If you want to block the trem, see: Dual Fulcrum Lock Down.

Also check the G&L Knowledgebase for additional information and suggestions on setups.

Hope this helps.

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Thanks for that. What about if I screw the two front trem post screws right down so the front of the trem sitting on the body of the guitar? Is that going to effect sustain?

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:58 pm

Kenny,

You can see you bridge plate is angled down towards the back indicating the strings are not pulling hard enough (a thicker set of strings will do that trick), but assuming you like your strings, the first thing you need to do is shortening the springs in the back cavity by loosening the screws holding the claw, not tightening as you indicate you did.

After flattening the bridge plate, follow the directions in the link Craig provided.

- Jos

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:21 am

Yes done all that. Bridge nice and flat now all balanced. Adjusted the Truss rod to near flat. I have taken those two front fulcrum posts down as far as they go, to where the front of the bridge is sitting or almost sitting on the timber body. Do they screw down that far where the bridge is sitting on the body or does the front of the bridge still sit higher than the body a bit? If the bridge is sitting on the body is it likely to deaden sustain? Would it be better raising it a bit where it is only sitting on the fuclrum pivot points.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:30 pm

Kenny202 wrote: Would it be better raising it a bit where it is only sitting on the fuclrum pivot points.

Yes :thumbup:
(be sure to lessen the string tension before turning the pivot screws to protect the bridge plate blades)

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:24 am

That is exactly what the bridge on my V12 looks like if I tune down a half step. On a similar note, said bridge tilts down ever so slightly at standard pitch, loosening springs you say ? I will have to try that.