S500 Comanche Legacy comparison

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 am

Had a couple of Tribute S500's. Loved the clear high output of the pick ups, I assume even though a Tribute they are US pick ups?

In the market for another G&L, maybe US if available (I live in remote Thailand) and more than likely will buy sight unseen. Quite prepared to do this and resell if not what I want. Knowing what the S500 sounds like, was wondering how the legacy and Comanche sound in comparison. The Legacy looks like it is very similar to a Fender Strat.

How do the PU's compare say .....similar to standard US...or Texas specials or???
Are they as bright and high output as the S500 MFD's?
What about Comanches? those offset monster PU look huge!

Do all the Tribute single coil guitars have US made pick ups or are there variations
Any advice appreciated

Re: S500 Comanche Legacy comparison

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:30 am

You may have already found the below video comparing each of the guitars. To my ears, the Legacy sounds about on par with a Strat, and the pickups are wound similar to ‘vintage’ models with a slight output boost. The Comanche provides hum canceling with a thicker tone, and to my ears the S500 seems to have the highest output, smokiest sound.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Craig on Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin changed link to inline video

Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:00 am

Kenny202 wrote:...cut...
Do all the Tribute single coil guitars have US made pick ups or are there variations
Any advice appreciated

See this post in the List of pickups used in G&L guitars post:
Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups

-The Tribute Series instruments (including Limited Editions/Exclusive Models) that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
-The single coil Alnico pickups (CLF-100) used in the Tribute Series Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and are made at the Fullerton factory.
-Other single coil Alnico pickups, humbuckers and P-90's used in the Tribute Series instruments are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

Note: Most of the Tribute Series MF/GC Exclusive Models have pickups which are made to G&L specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia, see: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 am

Thanks guys / Craig. As it happened came across a US Legacy HB with the Seymour TB4 HB in the bridge, 2013 in Margerita sparkle. As new in the box with all paperwork, lead, strap etc like it would have came from the shop. Bought it sight unseen as I live in remote Thailand but sure it will be a winner. Not 100% sure I am going to bond with the green sparkle but here in Thailand the US ones don't come up much second hand but when they do around 1/3rd of the new price, which is about 20% higher than a new US Fender. So the new price of a US G&L in Thailand is about 20% higher than a new Fender and the resale price is about 20% less lol. Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow :-)

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:04 am

Here's the green monster. Very relieved actually the green is more like a subdued olive. I think these pics must have been taken with a flash. Beautiful guitar and like new, but I have to say there is nothing more on this US guitar that I wouldn't find in a Tribute. Having said that the this US is impeccable finish, fit, playabillity, but I wouldn't say more so than Tributes I have owned.

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 am

Holy Guacomole' !!

Congrats. :mrgreen:

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:16 am

Guacamole indeed hahaha. It really isn't that bright at all. Like a pale olive (Thank the Lord lol)

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:19 pm

Have to say, I really like that color. Very nice find.