It Can't Be This Difficult!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:04 am

So I've been trying to identify and purchase the correct mounting screws for a bridge pickup on a G&L ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow for quite some time now. I need 2 sets, 6 pieces, and when I first decided to get them I thought a quick online search is all it would take and I'll know exactly what they are and where to get them. :shock: Wrong. Not only couldn't I find the answer, no one I contacted has been able to help.

Certainly, someone here knows exactly what kind of screws they are, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: It Can't Be This Difficult!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:24 am

If you have a hardware supply store near you, such as Fastenall, take a screw and see if they can match it. A quality cabinet supply store such as Richelieu, may be able to help also.

Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:02 pm

See this post: Neck Humbucker Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Solid Body).

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:39 pm

SUaPYG wrote:If you have a hardware supply store near you, such as Fastenall, take a screw and see if they can match it. A quality cabinet supply store such as Richelieu, may be able to help also.

If I had a screw I would have done that, but unfortunately, I don't. That's why I need to have the correct screw identified - so I can go to a hardware supply and buy some.

Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Craig wrote:See this post: Neck Humbucker Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Solid Body).

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but the screws I need are for the bridge pickup on an ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow - it's a single-coil, not a humbucker.

Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:55 pm

R7-12 wrote:
Craig wrote:See this post: Neck Humbucker Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Solid Body).

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but the screws I need are for the bridge pickup on an ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow - it's a single-coil, not a humbucker.

They are the same screws.

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:15 pm

Thank you Craig!

This will finally allow me to reassemble my guitar with a new G&L ASAT single-coil bridge pickup - it's been a long wait.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Craig wrote:
R7-12 wrote:

Hope this helps.

I don't think this is accurate.

The screws for humbuckers appear to be 3-48 UNC but the screws for mounting the bridge single coil to the bridge are larger and no one seems to know what they are. My inquiries so far lead me to believe they are 6-32.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 am

R7-12 wrote:
Craig wrote:
R7-12 wrote:

Hope this helps.

I don't think this is accurate.

The screws for humbuckers appear to be 3-48 UNC but the screws for mounting the bridge single coil to the bridge are larger and no one seems to know what they are. My inquiries so far lead me to believe they are 6-32.

Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, my bad. :oops:
I have sent email to Memo asking to confirm that the screws you are looking for are the 6-32 x 3/4" UNC.
I did some internet searching and found some on eBay:
SAE 6-32 x 3/4" (20mm) Strat/Tele Bridge Pickup Mounting Screws- Qty 12 - Nickel.

Hope this helps.

When I hear back from Memo I will follow up with another post.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Craig wrote:Yeah, my bad. :oops:
I have sent email to Memo asking to confirm that the screws you are looking for are the 6-32 x 3/4" UNC.
I did some internet searching and found some on eBay:
SAE 6-32 x 3/4" (20mm) Strat/Tele Bridge Pickup Mounting Screws- Qty 12 - Nickel.

Hope this helps.

When I hear back from Memo I will follow up with another post.

Thanks Craig - much appreciated.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:22 pm

BTW Craig, I have some Strat mounting screws that must be 6-32 x 3/4 and I've tried them with one of the G&L ASAT Classic Bridge pickups I have but they won't screw through the bottom plate. I also just finished trying them with a second G&L ASAT Classic Bridge pickup that I have and they threaded through the bottom plate without any issues. Are you aware of this kind of problem happening before?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:16 pm

R7-12 wrote:BTW Craig, I have some Strat mounting screws that must be 6-32 x 3/4 and I've tried them with one of the G&L ASAT Classic Bridge pickups I have but they won't screw through the bottom plate. I also just finished trying them with a second G&L ASAT Classic Bridge pickup that I have and they threaded through the bottom plate without any issues. Are you aware of this kind of problem happening before?

I am not aware of any changes to the ASAT Classic bridge pickup bottom plate since they first came out in 1990.
Can you tell us about the first bridge pickup which the screw does not fit into the bottom plate holes. Can you post photos of both pickups,
include top and bottom of each pickup.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 am

I tried posting pics of the bridge but I must have been doing something wrong. I read the photo posting tutorial and followed the instructions but it didn't work. Perhaps I'll try again later, or if you feel like going into my album Craig and viewing the pics from there, please feel free.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:27 am

R7-12 wrote:I tried posting pics of the bridge but I must have been doing something wrong. I read the photo posting tutorial and followed the instructions but it didn't work. Perhaps I'll try again later, or if you feel like going into my album Craig and viewing the pics from there, please feel free.

Your photos are too large and needed to be resized. I resized them for you using the Edit Photos option in the Gallery.
I also notice that you are calling this pickup an ASAT Alnico bridge pickup. It looks like an MFD ASAT Classic bridge pickup.
Did you have the pickup modified, replacing the Ceramic magnet with an Alnico magnet? What is the actual color of the base plate.
It looks black in your photo. Is this the one that the SAE 6-32 x 3/4" mounting screws don't fit into the base plate screw holes?

Here is one of your photos:

Here is the G&L On-Line store photo of a PICKUP - ASAT CLASSIC MFD BRIDGE:

Here is the G&L On-Line store photo of a PICKUP - ASAT CLASSIC ALNICO BRIDGE:

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:22 pm

Craig wrote:I also notice that you are calling this pickup an ASAT Alnico bridge pickup. It looks like an MFD ASAT Classic bridge pickup.
Did you have the pickup modified, replacing the Ceramic magnet with an Alnico magnet? What is the actual color of the base plate.
It looks black in your photo. Is this the one that the SAE 6-32 x 3/4" mounting screws don't fit into the base plate screw holes?

Yes, my mistake, it is an MFD ASAT Classic bridge pickup. It was very late when I posted.

The pickup was not modified and nothing on it was replaced. The base plate is steel and this is the pickup that the SAE 6-32 x 3/4" mounting screws don't fit.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:22 am

Is it possible the threads on the pup have been damaged? Perhaps all that is needed is to chase the threads with the proper tap.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:41 am

SUaPYG wrote:Is it possible the threads on the pup have been damaged? Perhaps all that is needed is to chase the threads with the proper tap.

It was apparently a new pickup and it appeared that way when I got it. It was purchased on eBay. It looks identical to another bridge pickup I have that is an authentic G&L. But, you might still be correct, and tapping it is probably the best way to fix the issue.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 am

R7-12 wrote:
SUaPYG wrote:Is it possible the threads on the pup have been damaged? Perhaps all that is needed is to chase the threads with the proper tap.

It was apparently a new pickup and it appeared that way when I got it. It was purchased on eBay. It looks identical to another bridge pickup I have that is an authentic G&L. But, you might still be correct, and tapping it is probably the best way to fix the issue.

Did you buy this pickup from ebay seller "e8en"? The reason I ask is because of this note in that seller's auction ad:

Seller Notes: “The item is an old stock so may be it has flaws that does not affect the operation of the item such as scratches, dents, rust, dirty, etc.”

Also, the pickups are shipped from Indonesia. while I am not implying that these pickups are illegally made, but it does seem odd that these NOS pickups are being
shipped from Indonesia.

You mention that it ls looks identical to another bridge pickup you have that is an "authentic G&L". Where did you get this other pickup from?
I posted a photo from G&L's online store of the MFD ASAT Classic bridge pickup and it does not have a black steel bottom mounting plate.

I have emailed a couple of contacts at G&L to find out if the early versions of this pickup had black steel bottom mounting plates. Note that the first ASAT Classic
model came out in 1990 and in 1993 the number of turns of wire was increased which will increase the impedence DC-R readings.
From our post in the G&L Knowledgebase:
List of pickups used in G&L guitars
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38

Shows this info on the pickups:
G&L Magnetic Field Design™ Tele style single coils 3.9K - 4.5K (Neck, Middle); 4.8K (Bridge, pre-1993); 5.6K (Bridge, post-1993)

What do each of the MFD bridge pickups you have measure (in Ohms)?

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:04 pm

Both G&L ASAT MFD Bridge pickups that I own have the same back mounting plate. They are steel (silver, not black). If memory serves me, e8en is the eBay seller I purchased the pickup from with holes that don’t fit the regular mounting screws.

The other pickup I got directly from G&L, it was shipped to me from G&L, by G&L, earlier this year, it is an authentic G&L pickup. Like the other one, it has a steel (silver) back mounting plate.

I measured both pickups. The one I got directly from G&L reads: 6.37k Ohms. The other one reads: 6.19k Ohms.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:44 pm

R7-12 wrote:Both G&L ASAT MFD Bridge pickups that I own have the same back mounting plate. They are steel (silver, not black). If memory serves me, e8en is the eBay seller I purchased the pickup from with holes that don’t fit the regular mounting screws.

The other pickup I got directly from G&L, it was shipped to me from G&L, by G&L, earlier this year, it is an authentic G&L pickup. Like the other one, it has a steel (silver) back mounting plate.

I measured both pickups. The one I got directly from G&L reads: 6.37k Ohms. The other one reads: 6.19k Ohms.

I searched my Gallery archives and found these two photos of ASAT Classic bridge pickups being built:

11/18/2016

10/12/2019

So the factory changed the bridge back mounting plate to steel, sometime between 2016 and 2019. :o

I hope to hear soon from one of G&L contacts to get more details about this change and any other changes made to the AC bridge pickup.

Stay tuned.

Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:31 am

Hi, did this question ever get resolved? I have a 2018 Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic and I too noticed that the normal Allparts GS-0007-005 Strat/Tele pickup mounting screws don't fit. https://www.allpartsitalia.com/GS-0007- ... _9339.html

My Asat Classic baseplate is also steel rather than copper. I didn't pay too much attention as to the exact problem with the screws when I had the bridge off, but I pretty sure they aren't quite as long as the G&L ones. It would be great to get the precise measurements of the mounting screws that are used with the ASAT classic MFD bridge pickup.

Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:14 pm

ashguitargeek wrote:Hi, did this question ever get resolved? I have a 2018 Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic and I too noticed that the normal Allparts GS-0007-005 Strat/Tele pickup mounting screws don't fit. https://www.allpartsitalia.com/GS-0007- ... _9339.html

My Asat Classic baseplate is also steel rather than copper. I didn't pay too much attention as to the exact problem with the screws when I had the bridge off, but I pretty sure they aren't quite as long as the G&L ones. It would be great to get the precise measurements of the mounting screws that are used with the ASAT classic MFD bridge pickup.

I emailed Memo (Service Manager at G&L):

Hi Craig,
The size of the screw is still the same, 6-32x3/4"
i just measured to be sure. Not sure what issues customers are running into, i have not received any questions or issues about this. Keep me posted or have them contact me.

Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:48 am

Thanks, whenever I have the bridge off the guitar again I will try to take some photos of the original screws beside those allparts ones to illustrate the difference.

Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:06 pm

Reading this whole thread, maybe the thread type/count is at issue here? It can be the same size and length as the original screw, but if the threads are different it will not fit.

Maybe the threads from the Indonesia pup is metric, and the USA ones are SAE?

HTH