New G&L Legacy and a Concern

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:49 pm

Last week I picked up my first G&L Legacy and it's a real beauty. It has a 1-piece Swamp Ash body in 2-tone Sunburst with a Bird's Eye Maple neck & Ebony fretboard.

The concern I have is the wiring from the Bridge pickup. The white lead from the P'up is taped at the end with a smaller gauge red wire that terminates at the switch as it should. It looks like an attempt at lengthening the lead, which wasn't at all unnecessary, but it doesn't appear to change anything. The black lead is wired similarly - it's taped to a smaller gauge green wire along with a bare wire, and they're both grounded on the volume pot. Again, the black lead has lots of length as does the white lead so I can't see the reasoning behind this nor can I see it as original wiring.

Any thoughts?

Re: New G&L Legacy and a Concern

Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:29 am

My guess is that the bridge pickup was swapped at some point. The wires were cut rather than removed from the switch and the pot. Is the current bridge pickup the stock G&L pickup, or another make?

Re: New G&L Legacy and a Concern

Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:50 pm

The bridge pickup looks exactly like the others.

I think the scenario you suggested is quite possible but could there be any reason for running two wires (one bare) from the negative lead to ground?