Interesting Legacy HB / S-500 cross spotted on ebay

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Just spotted this interesting G&L on ebay... The listing claims it's a 2009 model HB Legacy. The serial number is low (CLF10467), the single coil pickups appear to be MFD's, and the all-black headstock doesn't have any model name decal. Does anyone know anything about this model? (Is it something new coming out, or a custom order?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-G-L-LEGACY-HB- ... 3052wt_932

Re: Interesting Legacy HB / S-500 cross spotted on ebay

Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 pm

The G&L website lists a US built production Legacy HB. The difference between the model on eBay and the one listed on the website is that instead of the Alnico V, this Legacy HB has MFD's like the S-500 in middle and neck. But I must say that the headstock looks more like the Tribute Legacy HB shown elsewhere on the G&l website but that model would not come in a deluxe tolex hard shell case nor have locking tuners. Whoever ordered this guitar had a couple of personal preferences. As far as the S/N goes, all but two registered models starting with CLF104XX are ASAT HB and Legacy HB models which were built around 2004 and have mahogany( :!: ) bodies. I would not know why a neck with that number would be laying around for so long but maybe somebody else can chime in on that.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:21 am

I like it. I would like to know more about it as well. .

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:10 am

offplanetfilms wrote:Just spotted this interesting G&L on ebay... The listing claims it's a 2009 model HB Legacy. The serial number is low (CLF10467), the single coil pickups appear to be MFD's, and the all-black headstock doesn't have any model name decal. Does anyone know anything about this model? (Is it something new coming out, or a custom order?)

I'll have to check with my G&L contacts on this one. My first thought was that this might be an employee built custom piece, but
re-reading the ad, it might be a dealer custom order or factory prototype offered to a dealer. I'll see if I can find out more about it.
BTW, you can option order a black headstock and in most cases, it will be without the model name decal.

Stay tuned.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:21 am

That is a very cool Legacy, IMHO. It looks like a bumble-bee, or for Mopar enthusiasts, a Coronet Super Bee. The black-backed neck on the yellow body makes for a great color scheme.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:20 am

That sure would cure my itch for an S-500. I'd sell my Legacy if I bought this one however, I also want an ASAT as well. I wish money grew on trees.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:40 pm

I don't think it's a Legacy anything. But it's kind of cool with the MFDs and a bridge hummer. I suppose it was just a matter of time... - ed

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I don't think it's a Legacy anything. But it's kind of cool with the MFDs and a bridge hummer. I suppose it was just a matter of time... - ed

I agree, it's more like an S-500 HB. But, I'd rather have an MFD humbucker in the bridge instead of the SD alnico humbucker.

Hopefully, I can get the history of this one from the factory.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:28 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I don't think it's a Legacy anything. But it's kind of cool with the MFDs and a bridge hummer. I suppose it was just a matter of time... - ed

I have to agree with your assessment. There's little "Legacy" in that guitar aside from the knobs. I'm not sure that the little metal string tree is Legacy, S-500, both, or neither. It's the same type of string tree that's used on MIM Fender Strats. At least that's what mine had on it.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:35 am

I've noticed some of the latest Legacy's on ebay have similar a metal string tree, but the low serial number on this particular neck puzzled me (for a supposed "new" guitar).

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Craig wrote:
offplanetfilms wrote:Just spotted this interesting G&L on ebay... The listing claims it's a 2009 model HB Legacy. The serial number is low (CLF10467), the single coil pickups appear to be MFD's, and the all-black headstock doesn't have any model name decal. Does anyone know anything about this model? (Is it something new coming out, or a custom order?)

I'll have to check with my G&L contacts on this one. My first thought was that this might be an employee built custom piece, but
re-reading the ad, it might be a dealer custom order or factory prototype offered to a dealer. I'll see if I can find out more about it.
BTW, you can option order a black headstock and in most cases, it will be without the model name decal.

Stay tuned.

This turns out to be a prototype which was offered to a dealer, who then sold or traded it to the seller. This guitar was put together with old parts from the factory, they were trying out the possibility of an S-500 HB, but did not have a spare MFD humbucker, so went with a spare SD humbucker. The body finish is the new Yellow Fever and the neck is all gloss black.

I see that the auction has ended with no bids. Also, check out the other prototype pieces they have up for auction.
Along with this one, I'll be adding some of the others to the Gallery in the near future.