Is this a replacement, tribute, or counterfeit Legacy body?

Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:42 pm

I bought what was advertised as a Legacy USA and the CL15124 serial number seemed legit (and the neck also has the old deep v shape). However I took it apart to swap the aftermarket pickups that were in it with some new pickups out of a tribute. It appears the body was made in 2012 but the numbers don’t seem to be a G&L serial number format. Is anyone familiar with these ID tags/markings in the cavity near the neck? “LEGACY CANDY APPLE RED MP” “#1C-BWB-LTGN-BLK COVERS & KNOBS” “05/04/12” “SO 304912” “LINE #5” Then down below it has a barcode and “304912+5” and “** BODY **”

Re: Is this a replacement, tribute, or counterfeit Legacy bo

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:09 pm

bigjim711 wrote:I bought what was advertised as a Legacy USA and the CL15124 serial number seemed legit (and the neck also has the old deep v shape). However I took it apart to swap the aftermarket pickups that were in it with some new pickups out of a tribute. It appears the body was made in 2012 but the numbers don’t seem to be a G&L serial number format. Is anyone familiar with these ID tags/markings in the cavity near the neck? “LEGACY CANDY APPLE RED MP” “#1C-BWB-LTGN-BLK COVERS & KNOBS” “05/04/12” “SO 304912” “LINE #5” Then down below it has a barcode and “304912+5” and “** BODY **”

No, it is not a replacement, tribute or counterfeit Legacy body.
It is US made at the Fullerton, CA factory. The "05/04/12 #SO 304912 LINE #5" indicates a Sales Order from a dealer with several instruments included on the Sales Order which was received on 05/04/12. The Line #5 is the order line for this Candy Apple Red Legacy with a #1C neck profile with the Light Tint Glossy finish (LTGN) and a Maple fretboard (MP). The pickguard is 3-ply Black (BWB) with black PU covers and Knobs (BLK COVERS & KNOBS).

However, the body was built in 2012 and the neck is listed in the neck pocket as a Maple (MP) #1C which is the G&L Modern "U" shape,
not as you describe it, as an old deep V shape. Reference post: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?.
Also the Serial Number CL15124 on the neck would indicate that the neck was built in late 1997-99.
It is possible that the original neck was replaced by a previous owner and if so, the actual Serial Number would have been CLFXXXXXX
and the serial number applied onto a metal plate in place of the waterslide decal on the back of the headstock.
Reference post: Serial number significance.

Please post some photos (front and back) so we can see it.

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Thanks Craig!

I had posted it in the registry already so do you think I should remove the entry or should I just note that the body is dated 2012, etc? It has a G&L logo marked shim in the neck pocket. Do you think this could possibly have had the re-neck/re-body work done at the factory? Do you think they would have any records if they did any work like that? Clearly they went with W/B/W pick guard, pickup covers, knobs and back cover also rather than the black. I feel a little better knowing the body is at least U.S. made. Either way I do like the guitar. I should have known the body wasn't original to that neck though because other than a little chipping in the neck pocket area the body is in great shape.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:57 pm

bigjim711 wrote:Thanks Craig!

I had posted it in the registry already so do you think I should remove the entry or should I just note that the body is dated 2012, etc? It has a G&L logo marked shim in the neck pocket. Do you think this could possibly have had the re-neck/re-body work done at the factory? Do you think they would have any records if they did any work like that? Clearly they went with W/B/W pick guard, pickup covers, knobs and back cover also rather than the black. I feel a little better knowing the body is at least U.S. made. Either way I do like the guitar. I should have known the body wasn't original to that neck though because other than a little chipping in the neck pocket area the body is in great shape.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Please do update the registry entry.

I will contact G&L and see if they can match the SO and line number 5 with the serial number it shipped with and the final specs.
It is possible that the order was changed to wbw pickguard and trem springs cover and white PU covers and Knobs.

Stay tuned.

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:19 pm

Craig wrote:
bigjim711 wrote:Thanks Craig!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Please do update the registry entry.

I will contact G&L and see if they can match the SO and line number 5 with the serial number it shipped with and the final specs.
It is possible that the order was changed to wbw pickguard and trem springs cover and white PU covers and Knobs.

Stay tuned.

I heard back from Memo, G&L Service Manager:

Hi Craig,
I replied to customer, this is mish-mash of parts thrown together. Its not even in our logs so it could be an employee parts build.