Installing Seymour Duncan Pickups on a US Legacy

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 am

Hello all,
I am installing Seymour Duncan pickups on my US Legacy. Should I follow the Duncan wiring instructions or install the pickups in the same fashioon as the stock pickups?

Thank you

Re: Installing Seymour Duncan Pickups on a US Legacy

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 am

cafaro1 wrote:Hello all,
I am installing Seymour Duncan pickups on my US Legacy. Should I follow the Duncan wiring instructions or install the pickups in the same fashioon as the stock pickups?

Thank you

Hmm, surprised no one has given their thoughts on this yet :o

I would suggest you install them in the same fashion as the stock pickups, so that you retain the PTB system.
Give that a try and if you don't like the results, then wire them up using SD instructions.

In case you were not aware, we have wiring diagrams for the Legacy in our Gallery. They are located here and on the main G&L website here.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Just a weird thought, but didn't Duncan provide pickups for the Legacy at some point? I seem to remember that. I have a 1995 Legacy that has what I thought were Duncan pickups from the factory.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Submersible wrote:Just a weird thought, but didn't Duncan provide pickups for the Legacy at some point? I seem to remember that. I have a 1995 Legacy that has what I thought were Duncan pickups from the factory.

Yes, the 1992-1994 Legacy had Seymour Duncan SSL Vintage (flats) pickups. See the list of G&L guitar pickups chart in the G&L Knowledgebase.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:02 pm

When I put DiMarzios in mine, I used the DiMarzio chart just to figure out which colored wires were what, but then I wired them according to the G&L chart (like the stock pickups were wired), to preserve the PTB tone controls, as Craig suggests.