NGD G&L "Special Build"

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:39 pm

As the great John Cleese would say, "Now for something completely different."

There are some that have said it would never happen, my wife and kids asked "Why did you get one that doesn't look like an ASAT?", one suggested to take my temperature and another asked, "What have you done with my dad!?"

Being the lover of Z coils and always having one of these on my wish list, my wish was granted via flea bay! :elguitar054:

Ye' old Comanche Studio VI Special Build listed in the registry but soon to be updated with new owner and additional information. She weighs in at a well balanced, svelte 8.4lbs, a lake placid metallic blue which is lighter than the pictures illustrate, what looks like a graph-tec nut, and she may not have been played before based on how clean she is, especially the neck, and she's still wearing her back plate plastic. Body shows date of January 23 ANS'D. French for "year" so I don't know if this is from 2007 but sticking with 2007. Since this is not the regular Comanche Studio VI Special Build issue honeyburst or tobacco sunburst, but the lake placid metallic blue with "Gene" written on the neck, I assume this was built by the late Gene Englehart (production manager). Also not sure what the other initials mean. It looks like "Fred" and the numbers 590 written in the neck pocket. Craig or anyone in the know please confirm. Plugged her in and she sounds great. The switches can produce an amazing array of sounds. Will take a while to dial in the ones I like most. A youtube clip is below for some examples, not me. :thumbup:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Re: NGD G&L "Special Build"

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:01 am

ConratZZZ !!

So many switches :crazy:
Being able to single coil the low strings and humbuck the highs is one of he cooler combo's I've found.

Glad you have folks lookin out for ya..hehehe

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks Elwood! :thumbup:

The weekend will be spent flipping switches.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:26 am

Great acquisition sam! Beautiful!

- Jos

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:06 am

Amazing find, Sam! I have never heard of this configuration of pickup switching. It'll take a bit of time to play around with all the pickup-splitting combinations. File a report when you're done experimenting.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks guys!

Jos, If you have any other background on this one please let me know. I understand there are a few other rarebirds floating out there. :evilgrin:

Kit, Will do. This will take some time to get through the configurations. There are some subtle differences, and I want to really hear “how this plays out”.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:58 am

congrats, Sam! i'll bet it produces some interesting tones with the selective coil use.
you'll have to get oriented to the "upper horn" ;)

Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 am

Congrats, Sam! I hope you enjoy exploring the VI tones. It's still my favorite G&L.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Thanks John and Tom,

John, May just have to cut the horn off! ;)

Tom, Can see what you mean. Played some today and am finding some unique tones. Played beside a ASAT Z3 semi-hollow no f-hole, and they are two different beasts. Did put 9’s on the Comanche and have 10’s on the ASAT which could tweak it some.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi Sam,

I contacted Memo to have him look up the serial number and he asked for photos (I sent him a copy of your post with photos). He is going to show them to Johnny McLaren to see if he has any info on this guitar. It is not listed in the factory log, so hopefully Johnny can fill in the details on it.

Stay tuned.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanks Craig! :cheers:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:24 am

Very cool. Congratulations. I like the black p'up covers against the white guard.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:38 am

Thanks mutts,

Now that I look at it, I also like the black covers better than if it had come with white ones.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Dam!! Nice score Sam!
I have been having some health issues for some months now and have not been on the forum or cruising the guitar sales sites. So I missed this one and who knows how many other gems. This guitar looks like it might have some interesting tales to tell and I can't wait to hear more about it.
Congrats again...glad you took the slight turn off the ASAT's. Not that there is anything I don't like about them.

Tom

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks Tom,

Most importantly, “hope yer feeling better” (feel free to break into Carlos Santana now if you wish :roll: )

Yes sir I stepped out of the ASAT box but this and these switching options have been on my wish list. Still working up a tone report but I can tell you, this is a Swiss Army knife of guitars. Leo was way ahead of the times with this guitar. A bit overwhelming at times because of all options. Can get most ASAT bits, legacy etc, but tunes just right I’ve found some jazz, sparkly and even acoustic tones hidden in here. Still have an ASAT HB and now an Espada on my wish list but this is getting a lot of attention. :alright:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Sounds like fun. I too have ben looking for a VI ever since I became aware of them. However, as you might know, I am obsessed with finding guitars in very good condition and I would like the '91 version of this guitar. I would pick up one of the latter builds if I found a great deal but would still want the earlier one. So I have just not found the right deal yet. They come up for sale now and again but are usually above my threshold or not the right condition. For the most part these days I am a collector rather than a player as the nerve damage has not been kind to my coordination. It's unbearably frustrating sometimes. I might just hang up the electrics and get a good acoustic to satisfy my playing jones. It would be nice to find a G&L acoustic in great shape if they actually sound good and are not too much of an aircraft carrier to play.

Speaking of ASAT HB's...when I do decide to begin the process of offloading my heard, I will try to remember you when it comes to selling one of my HB's. No promise as my mind is fuzzy and unfortunately prices will be firm but you may just be able to get one some day. I have not seen any for sale since I bought my two but they are nice and one of my favorite sounding guitars. That hot-wound pickup really makes these things growl. Don't know why these never made Rarebird status. One of mine has a body date of DEC 28 2004 which I just realized is odd since they usually take two weeks off around Christmas. Maybe someone would trade me for a '91 VI.
Have fun with the VI...

Tom
Here's a little tease. (sorry, not sorry)

Image. Image

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Tom,

I knew a pic or two was coming! :lol: Would have been disappointed if you didn’t.

A VI will turn up, just like the ASAT HB’s just have to be there at the right time and pull the trigger quickly. Yee-haa