Pickup change Legacy

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:15 am

Hi, I'm owner of a G&L Legacy, US model, production year 2003. A great instrument, but:
Unlike my 3 other G&L's which sound really great, I don't really like the sound. The sound is not really "stratish", especially the positions when two pickups work together.
And: the bridge PU sounds quite thin.

I would prefer if it sounds more like SRV.

Apart from that I want to keep this guitar, because I like the optics, feel an playability of it.

1) So I'm thinking about changing the pickups and need some inspiration which pickups will probably work well.
Any ideas?

2) Is the size of the origninal PUs the same as standard Stratocaster Pickups?

Thanks

Re: Pickup change Legacy

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Wouldn't we all like to sound more like SRV, unfortunately I have what I call TDD "Talent Deficit Disorder". I have found that this can not be rectified with a pickup change :). Remember that the PTB controls on the Legacy differ from what is used on a Strat so perhaps choosing different tone settings will help you get what you are looking for. The pickup post in this forum's Knowledge base describes the pickups used in all G&L guitars to date. Prior to the CLF-100 pickups in your Legacy, G&L used Seymour Duncan pickups. I replaced the pickups in my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with Lindy Fralin Texas Specials and was very happy with the result. I have used Jason Lollar P-90 and Imperial humbuckers and really like them both, but I have not used their Strat pickups. Similarly I replaced the pickups in a Squier Telecaster that played great and sounded terrible with pickups from Don Mare and it transformed the guitar. He makes some really nice vintage pickups if you are willing to wait for them to be produced, but again I have not used his Strat pickups. If you do change the pickups you might also want to consider whether you want to retain the PTB system or go with a traditional Stratocaster tone and volume control setup.