Help me decide between ASAT models

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:16 am

Hey everyone. I'm trying to decide between an ASAT Classic, an ASAT Special, the ASAT Bluesboy, and an ASAT Classic Custom.

I play jazz, funk, and jam-rock type stuff (so nothing heavy or with a lot of distortion - usually just some light overdrive).

I actually recently picked up a Fullerton Bluesboy, and it's an awesome guitar, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the neck humbucker (so am thinking about returning it and getting one of the other ASAT models). I feel like I might prefer a Jumbo MFD or regular MFD pickup in the neck.

Considering one of the ASAT Classic Customs currently available through Sweetwater. Seems like that might be the best of both worlds of the Special & Classic, with a Jumbo neck pickup and regular MFD bridge pickup.

Thoughts?

Re: Help me decide between ASAT models

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 am

DCG wrote:Hey everyone. I'm trying to decide between an ASAT Classic, an ASAT Special, the ASAT Bluesboy, and an ASAT Classic Custom.

I play jazz, funk, and jam-rock type stuff (so nothing heavy or with a lot of distortion - usually just some light overdrive).

I actually recently picked up a Fullerton Bluesboy, and it's an awesome guitar, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the neck humbucker (so am thinking about returning it and getting one of the other ASAT models). I feel like I might prefer a Jumbo MFD or regular MFD pickup in the neck.

Considering one of the ASAT Classic Customs currently available through Sweetwater. Seems like that might be the best of both worlds of the Special & Classic, with a Jumbo neck pickup and regular MFD bridge pickup.

Thoughts?

Here are my suggestions: Try an ASAT Special before making a choice. The bridge in the ASAT Special is the Leo Fender designed Saddle-Lock bridge and IMO is the best hardtail bridge. Another ASAT Classic model to try is the ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90.

Hope this helps.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:18 am

I’m pretty happy with my ASAT HH. Splitting the coils it rivals my Tele for the country sound, but run the humbuckers and there’s little reason to want a Les Paul.. It’s voice if comparing to a woman would be Karen Carpenter like. It is just slightly husky sounding, but smooooooth and pure... It’s really good...

Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:30 pm

DCG, good luck in your search for a new ASAT. I have a Bluesboy and a Classic Deluxe. Both sound great IMHO. I favor my Classic Deluxe. In alder, my Classic Deluxe is considerably lighter than my ash bodied Bluesboy. Also, it looks more traditional with its’ smaller MFD neck pickup, and although this MFD neck pickup may be less beefy than the neck humbucker on the Bluesboy, the guitar still has the great traditional sound that has been enjoyed for tele lovers for decades. I don’t feel the Classic Deluxe is missing anything sound wise when compared to my Bluesboy when I play it. Admittedly, I play on the bridge pickup mostly.

Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:38 pm

I second Craig's suggestion for an Asat Special. The jumbo MFD's are really quite unique and there is nothing quite like them out there that I am aware of. You need to give one a spin for sure.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:40 am

And I'll add a 3rd suggestion to audition and ASAT Special. It is definitely a very unique sounding and versatile guitar. The full size MFDs have incredible dynamic range so it's versatile enough for virtually any genre. Here's a pretty good video that'll take you through it's versatility.

https://youtu.be/LrEJUY3I7C8

Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Just briefly, I recently got a used ASAT Special ('96) and did some prep and set-up work on it. I also play a wide variety of styles (a lot of funk/R&B and Steely Dan, actually) and this guitar covers a lot of ground. Can even do a decent bebop jazz voice with both the volume the tone rolled down a bit. I did notice, though, that if you pick right above the neck pickup (I sometimes do) and that if your pick contacts the p'up cover, it clicks loudly. I might try cutting a piece of soft white felt to apply to it so it's not visible, but will dampen the pick contact.