G&L pickups so much better than Fender

Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:54 pm

I've had literally 100's of guitars in the last 40 years. Mostly Fender, a few Gibsons. Lot of vintage stuff. In the last three years I licked up a really daggy looking S500 Tribute, Korean made. Black white pick guard (I hate black guitars). Ever since the day I bought it its been my main go to guitar and have been selling off everything else I had. It has a great neck, very low action...extremely varied tone (has the extra switch Korean S500's have. Even a late model US Tele that I just found extremely well made, but sterile and toneless. Have had countless made in Japan strats and teles and again well made but they don't come alive in your hands like a special guitar does. Maybe if you spend several hundred dollars on after market pick ups but you shouldn't have to do that if you buy a premium guitar. I have had some late 60s early 70's Fender guitars that were amazing but after this period I have never found anything inspiring.

I got out one of my last Fender Teles this morning (MIJ) and it was buzzing and noisy (have grounding issues here) I thought it was my tube amp. Plugged my G&L in and hardly any noise but twice the out put. Those pick ups really bite. I have since bought a Tribby Bluesboy thinline with humbucker in the neck and that surpasses any Tele I have ever had.

Why are the G&L pick ups so much better? So much quieter and so much more clarity and output?
I only have Tributes too. They are a great gigging guitar. Extremely well made. Paint finish is perfect, metal ware never dulls or tarnishes and has US pick ups. What more could you want.