Build date???

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 am

I have been chasing down the rabbit hole for a couple days now. I have gotten nowhere.

I just picked up a sweet Comanche and am trying to find the build date etc.

CLF22027

Why is it so difficult to find this info?

Help,
Bob

Re: Build date???

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:55 am

Hi Bob,
These data are hard to get for a simple reason: the information is not publicly available. This is not uncommon. I challenge anyone to take an S/N associated with any other brand and find the build date online.

But what do we know? For the S/N you quote, that Comanche was built somewhere between late-2000 to mid-2001. In this era, G&L did not provide spec sheets yet nor was it using serial numbers in sequential order. So this temporal range can only be established by comparing information from nearby serial numbers, in particular neck and pocket dates. If you want to know more about your guitar, you would have to take off the neck and peak underneath too. But then still, dates for bodies are in general older than for necks. To get to a completion date, you would have to add a couple of weeks to the oldest date stamp (again, usually the neck) or ask G&L to check their logs when the guitar was entered. To confirm all the before and get the rough range, I just put in a query in the Registry on this site for the 100 serial numbers between CLF21975 and CLF22075. Indeed, there are a couple with stamps from February 2001.

- Jos

Re: Build date???

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:59 am

Rbert0005 wrote:I have been chasing down the rabbit hole for a couple days now. I have gotten nowhere.

I just picked up a sweet Comanche and am trying to find the build date etc.

CLF22027

Why is it so difficult to find this info?

Help,
Bob

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

Let's see some photos of your Comanche. For posting photos see: Tutorial: Posting photos.