It begins, burgeoning gas!

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:35 pm

I have started to collect quotes from G&L dealers, emailed all 6 in the area (within 2-3 hours on buses). Let the battle begin.

It should be apparent which ones want to make the sale, as I want to get an ASAT special in trans orange without a PG, if the factory will do it (it may quickly become apparent if some just respond no without talking to them, or so I hope).

Any word on the SS fret thing for G&L? How hard are G&L stock frets. I am a pretty light handed guy, just don't like the drag that nickel frets have in comparison to glassy SS. Maybe they can ask when they call about the pickguard thing.

Hoping to order this puppy in 2-3 months, need to see what my year fee in september is then I can budget properly. Never thought I would get so excited over getting a 'country guitar' (that's why I am getting it anyway, we'll see what I can make er do thereafter) I like short time lines.

Hoping to get my first G&L before the new year (or just barely after). Played an ASAT in a store unplugged and fell in love. Had I not bought an engagement ring that day you better believe I would have walked out with it, the price, by my standards was low for a USA, it would have been worth it (albeit you just gotta haggle!)

Kyle

Re: It begins, burgeoning gas!

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:46 am

I've been wondering about the no pickguard option too - my curiosity started when I removed the pickguard from my spanish copper metallic bluesboy and discovered it looked absolutely awesome without one! Please let us know if they do it for you!

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 am

So far it is a no go, (same with stainless frets but you gotta try right). Currently I have the local dealer looking in to if they will do a "deluxe" without the flame top of solid swamp ash, opposed to asking if they can make an ASAT special without the pickguard. Alternatively, I could get a clear pickguard down the road, or a sweet black crinkle one from somewhere (although cream w/ cream pickup covers doesn't look bad, I just would not go no pickguard unless the screw holes weren't there).

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Alright, my dealer is the man, You cannot order an Ash ASAT special without the pickguard, you can however order an ASAT special deluxe, with an ash body and ash top. Can't wait til I have the cash to flop this one.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:24 pm

That's a real shame about the lack of an option to not have a pickguard at all. Craig, if you read this, why?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:53 pm

All I know is I am doing the cost benefit analysis here, and not sure which way I will go, may get the PG then get a smoked translucent one or something or a gel coloured one, for a neat contrast effect instead. If there weren't screw holes I would just take it off myself.

In one of my other threads Craig said that there is no bath tub route, only pickup routes. So the pickguard is entirely there for cosmetic reasons. The control panel however is jigged out, I would go for a control panel and no pickguard too though. As it has rounded edges it wouldn't look bad (unlike a J bass with a weird shaped one and no pickguard, like Carvins new SB series)

Thinking something like this is cheaper

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/Rar ... GNSON.php3

Just drop on a clear PG, not as cool IMO, still undecided, my Wife says 'go big or go home'

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:That's a real shame about the lack of an option to not have a pickguard at all. Craig, if you read this, why?

My 2¢: Usually the G&L models without a pickguard have rear mounted controls. And in case of an ASAT that leaves you effectively with an ASAT Special Deluxe or a ASAT Deluxe for production models. There are still other options out there. Any and all of the spalted maple models, i.e. ASAT Bluesboy, ASAT Classic, Legacy, and L-2000 have no pickguard. Some of these spalted maple models are easier to find than others. Same is true for the 20th Anniversary model, 25th Anniversary model, and ASAT HB.

But you'll notice the problem here: the pickup configuration is different in each and everyone of them (for ease I consider the MFD's on the 20th Anniversary being overwound as different compared to the MFD's on the ASAT Special Deluxe). So depending on what pickup configuration you want, choices are fairly limited unless you go all out and convince the factory to produce a limited series of guitars (think Tim Page's efforts to get the ASAT '50, ASAT Z-2, Blues Boy, and Trinity produced or the GbL Bluesboy LE).

P.S. A beautiful sunburst 20th Anniversary is available at Buffalo Brothers. Not an option of course if you want to stick to the orange ;)

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:33 am

IT is a very nice axe yowhatsshakin, but a combination of 7.5 " , not orange, no locking tuners, standard nut, means it would cost me a fair bit to get it up to 'spec' in my mind. The birds eye with the tint is a bit much for me too, I prefer to earn the tint :D.

You are probably right about the things too, but considering a hog body and flamed top, cost as much as a swamp ash body and swamp ash top in this case, I find that to be the part that is a little harder to swallow, hence maybe the clear PG option. (it will never get scratched by my playing so it should look nice)

Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 pm

WHen I took the pickguard off mine I did notice that the only routes were for the pickups - it's what made me wonder if they offered no pickguard as an option. I like the idea of a clear one, i think I'll try that myself. Sirmyghin, do you know of anywhere that makes them? I've bought a white one from ebay and I had to do a fair bit of reshaping to get it to fit.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Chandler guitars is recommended by G&L. http://pickguards.us/pricegandl.html

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:31 pm

chuck0765 wrote:Chandler guitars is recommended by G&L. http://pickguards.us/pricegandl.html

I've tried contacting them in the past - they don't respond to emails. Maybe you guys in the USA will have more luck

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:51 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
chuck0765 wrote:Chandler guitars is recommended by G&L. http://pickguards.us/pricegandl.html

I've tried contacting them in the past - they don't respond to emails. Maybe you guys in the USA will have more luck

I am in Canada, but these are the only guys I have run across too, in search, or forum recommendation. I think the difference of 250 bones is going to be get a clear pickguard instead. I saw this one

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/Rar ... GNSON.php3

The advantage I am seeing is in my tastes change over time I can always slap a pickguard that is no clear back on , no guilt/ butchery at least.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:45 pm

It would seem that I am going to go to the store to get this puppy orderred/play a few classics and specials to make sure it is the right choice this weekend (the special over the classic that is). Going to be fun. Now to study for that exam I have monday...