Clear blue comanche vs deluxe natural

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:56 am

I first learned of G&L on the Anderton's YouTube channel and immediately bought the deluxe comanche natural finish. I usually don't spend much on guitars because I find the major brands produce products at lower prices with cheaper materials that sound ALMOST as good as guitars that cost 5x more. I WAS NOT disappointed with the comanche and immediately decided to get a tribute ASAT as well (waiting on my backordered ASAT). Two weeks later I'm also playing the clear blue comanche...and it's amazing.

I don't have the deluxe out, but the differences I see are mainly the wood grain cut of the body and the rosewood fretboard, along with some different knobs for eq. The neck MAY have a smaller circumference, but I might just be getting used to the deluxe neck. It seems to cause less fatigue. This thing seems to be made for my little Vox amp.

There's definitely a difference in tone that isn't insignificant between the two, but I haven't compared side by side blinded or anything. I'm just amazed at the capabilities of this guitar in general. I feel good playing country or metal at different settings, without feeling like I'm sacrificing aomething.

Re: Clear blue comanche vs deluxe natural

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Congratulations! What ASAT did you buy?
Sadly I have never had the chance to try Z Coils.
Got any pictures?

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm trying to post images, but it's been a while since I've used a forum. Here's the ASAT link. I was actually getting a different one, but this just popped up on sale.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... 9000001000

Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 pm

bokonon82 wrote:I'm trying to post images, but it's been a while since I've used a forum. Here's the ASAT link. I was actually getting a different one, but this just popped up on sale.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... 9000001000

For posting photos, see: Tutorial: posting photos.

Note that the specs on the MF/GC websites are not quite correct.
Here are the actual specs:

G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Alnico (MF/GC calls them "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Electric Guitar Olympic White" , "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Electric Guitar Sonic Blue" ,
and "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar Gloss Natural")
Finishes
· Olympic White, 3-ply white pickguard, clear satin neck, maple fingerboard
· Gloss Natural, 3-ply tortoise pickguard, clear satin neck, maple fingerboard
· Sonic Blue, 3-ply white pickguard, clear satin neck, maple fingerboard [added in 2017]

Body wood Poplar (Olympic White, Sonic Blue), Swamp Ash (Gloss Natural)
Neck wood Hard Rock Maple
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 9” radius
Pickups 2 G&L designed Alnico V single-coils
Controls 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Bridge Traditional boxed steel bridge with six brass saddles

The G&L designed Alnico V single coil pickups are modeled after the Tele's of the late 50s/early 60s.
Reference post: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:23 am

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Two beautiful!! The Comanche is so versatile. Congrats!

Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:04 am

It is unbelievably versatile. Bridge gives a good metal sound which I prefer through my Marshal because it softens the edges a bit.

Clean sound gives a good country or rockabilly sound through my Vox. Using the neck switch with the bridge gives a really nice twang and bright sound with a solid bass and mid-range. All pickups together give a twangy bass heavy sound I like at times.

Add in reverb and it's a great surf sound too. Plus, every conventional tone you can imagine is available. I really love it.