New ASAT Deluxe - Need Help Identifying

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:48 pm

This is my first post on the forum. Been around for a while reading after buying an ASAT Tribute. Sunday I acquired two ASAT Deluxe guitars. They were owned by a former G&L employee who recently passed away (that part sucks). He built both of these himself and quite a few others that went to the family. There was no paperwork with the guitars - all my information came from his spouse. From my limited research it appears they are ASAT Deluxes in Humbucker and HSS. Probably need to pull the necks off to see what info I can find there. They are beautiful!

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance,
MM

Edit - Working on getting the images uploaded correctly. Newb...

[thumb=]ImageGL Guitars by Mike Morrill, on Flickr[/thumb]
Last edited by mmorrill on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New ASAT Deluxe - Need Help Identifying

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:12 pm

Wow...cool ASATs !!

I copied the BBCode from the "share" option on Flickr, let's see if that works...

ImageGL Guitars by Mike Morrill, on Flickr

I guess it does :)

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:17 pm

I think I have it fixed. Thanks for the help!

Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:53 pm

I recognize the finish on the ASAT Deluxe as being one of the Powderburst test finishes done for the 2006 Winter NAMM show.
See this post: 2006 NAMM show Comanche question. Post the serial numbers of each guitar and I will ask Memo at the factory to look them up and provide the factory log info.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:03 pm

The serial numbers are visible in the pictures of the back of the head stock. Maybe not clear enough. Serial number for the "powderburst" is CLF39019. Serial number for the blonde guitar is CLF35481. Thanks for the help!

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:03 pm

mmorrill wrote:This is my first post on the forum. Been around for a while reading after buying an ASAT Tribute. Sunday I acquired two ASAT Deluxe guitars. They were owned by a former G&L employee who recently passed away (that part sucks). He built both of these himself and quite a few others that went to the family. There was no paperwork with the guitars - all my information came from his spouse. From my limited research it appears they are ASAT Deluxes in Humbucker and HSS. Probably need to pull the necks off to see what info I can find there. They are beautiful!

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance,
MM

I wonder if these were built by Gene Engelhardt, who passed away in 2009. Awaiting to hear back from Memo.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:28 am

The guitars were built by Gary Drake (RIP).

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:21 pm

That 'burst is perhaps the loveliest solid color ASAT I've ever seen. Congrats on the find!

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:36 pm

Sweet guitars, great for you! :thumbup:

Now if you could get the HSS design with the powderburst finish boy howdy!! How does she sound?
(I see a partscaster in the works) :evilgrin:

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:55 am

Both guitars sound great! I'm keeping the HSS as it fits my playing style a bit better. I wish it was in the powderburst color as well but not much I can do about that. The Powderburst HB is going to be put on the market shortly. Going to add them to the registry this week.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Yeah, both are very cool; congratulations.
The HSS is really interesting- I can't really recall ever seeing the classic bridge plate paired with a DFV. It's awesome!