M2000 Arrival

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Last Monday I purchased a used 2012 Tribute M2000. For once FedEx came through as scheduled and it was delivered to my door at 2:03 PM. Maybe just maybe my past reports of drivers "claiming" to have attempted delivery when they didn't finally had some impact.

If this bass was ever used by anyone they must have been wearing micro-fiber clothing and playing with micro-fiber gloves. It's either a trade show demo or NOS because it's spotless, still has the stock D'Addario strings, and the plastic on the control and battery covers.

Needless to say I'm thrilled having paid less for it than I did my L2500 three years ago. The two are nearly identical in appearance with ash sunburst bodies and maple fret boards. It arrived well set up, plays well and sounds as expected, somewhat mellower than the L2500.

Kudos to Sam Ash in Sarasota, FL for a great deal, good packing and order processing, and a thoroughly professional job all around. :thumbup:

Obligatory pics. Unfortunately the lighting washes out most of the grain. It has far more then shown.

Re: M2000 Arrival

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Kudos to you soulman969! :happy0065: :alright:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:25 pm

I know the more I play it the more I'm liking it. Great neck profile and super intuitive electronics. I like that the M Series MFD are more laid back than the L Series versions. My L2500 and Kiloton can handle more aggressive needs where this M2000 is gonna be great for blues and soul tunes.

It came set up and fully intonated as well as I could ever do it myself. Neck is flat as the State of Kansas and no ski jump.

And any bass that can make even make a set of crappy D'Addario rounds sound good gets my vote. It's all so good right now I believe I'll even postpone the traditional string change rituals for the time being and wear out the stock strings first.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:02 pm

Love hearing this review, thanks. :thumbup:

My son has a L2000, which is phenomenal bass, but the M2000 sure sounds like the bass to bridge a few gaps!

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:57 pm

sam wrote:Love hearing this review, thanks. :thumbup:

My son has a L2000, which is phenomenal bass, but the M2000 sure sounds like the bass to bridge a few gaps!

Being able to compare my M2000 to my L2500 helped me to appreciate the differences between the two.

They're like two brothers with the L2500 being the more aggressive one who'll try anything once and the M2000 the more polite predictable one. :lol: The preamp and tone stack is particularly well suited for the M2000 and a bit more intuitive and straight forward in it's response. But they're both incredibly versatile basses so I'm glad to have both especially with one being a 5 string.

I found round wounds to be far too bright on both my L2500 and my Kiloton but not so on the M2000. That surprised me. I'm not a fan of the stock D'Addarios but I'll keep them on for a bit longer then try a set of DR Nickel Lo Riders I have. The L2500 and Kiloton both have GHS Pressurewounds which are my usual go to string but for the M2000 I give rounds a longer trial because they seem right for it.