My new ASAT / Question about Split and Drilled Tuners

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:47 pm

It's almost time already to change the strings on my new ASAT HH because I just can't put this thing down. I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb to know how long the new string needs to span past the split and drilled tuning peg to make the proper cut. Does it vary by string thickness? Basically if you have these tuners what are you doing?

I posted these pics of my first G&L in the intro area yesterday, but thought I'd do it here in my first post in the mainline forum too. This was my anniversary present from my wife with added collusion from my son. While researching and testing guitars he was won over and caught the bug for Doheny's, so much so that he has commissioned one built to his liking. We're late to the party, but are loving these guitars.

Thanks again for any guidence on these tuners and on changing strings.

Best,

Bryan

Re: My new ASAT / Question about Split and Drilled Tuners

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:12 am

phpBB [video]

There ya go.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 am

General rule is about 2-2.5 post spacings. I usually lay the string in the slot and snip it 2 posts further out. For the B- and high E-string, I pull the string back 2 posts and snip it at the respective tuning pegs.

- Jos

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks guys.

For strings this guitar came with 10's, but I have about 8 sets of Stringjoy 9s. Would you go 9s with a likely truss rod adjustment or stay with 10s? It's set up amazing at this point..

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:52 pm

If the tuners on your guitar have tapered posts I would amend the above video just slightly. My method is to wind the strings as she did but go a bit above pitch and then press the string down the post so it seats at the base- then tune back up to pitch. This has always worked well for me.
One thing I've noticed on my Bluesboy- with some string brands the high E ( I use 10s ) will want to creep out of the post. If that happens I tie the string off like I would on a regular tuner with the hole through the post. This has only been a problem for me a few times but never happened on my old G&Ls. Sometimes I cut the high a bit long so there is some margin for error if it won't hold in the post.

In my experience going up or down one string size often does not require any adjustments. If you prefer the 9s it's worth trying them in any event.
Cool looking guitar. Congratulations.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Wildhorse wrote:Thanks guys.

For strings this guitar came with 10's, but I have about 8 sets of Stringjoy 9s. Would you go 9s with a likely truss rod adjustment or stay with 10s? It's set up amazing at this point..

Hey Wildhorse,

Either would be fine, just go with your personal preference. It might even be you hardly need a truss rod adjustment, maybe just a tad to get some more relief.

- Jos

P.S. I use several gauges on my G&Ls ranging from 9s to 11s with unwound G depending on the guitar, e.g. whether it is vintage or not, and whether I keep it in open tuning or not.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks guys.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:02 pm

wildhorse, that sure is a unique color/finish on your ASAT! One of a kind.
like jos, i do the 2 post (beyond the intended) distance measurement for the cut.
i then put straight tension on the string as i wind, and the tapered post does the rest.
no need to bunch the string down the post, unless you want to. tuning stability is very good.

i find certain guitars just seem to need a certain gauge of string.
i use 10-46 on most of mine, but i have an '88 interceptor that does way better with 9-42, and a '01 epiphone 335 that "demands" a 10-52 hybrid set

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:18 pm

That guitar is beautiful. I stopped buying guitars, but I definitely would have bought that one. Sorry, no tuner info that can improve on what you already got. Enjoy.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm

I took you alls advice and cut at 2 posts and it worked out perfect. It couldn’t have been any better!

Oh, and my thanks for the compliments on the guitar. I wish I could take credit for it but it all belongs to David in G&Ls Custom Shop. The guy is brilliant and this thing pops even more in person than in pictures. I find myself just looking at it all the time. The guy was clearly born to make the world better one guitar at a time...

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 am

If you keep stringing your guitars like that, you won't ever need locking tuners. My experience. And congrats for your guitar.