G&L guitar questions.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi! I have three G&L tributes: An S500, a Legacy, and a Bluesboy with a MFD pickup in the bridge.

All my guitars are second hand so I don’t know everything I’d like about them. How do I find out what wood they are made from? How do I find out what the nut is made from? I want locking tuners for all three, does anyone have any recommendations?

The Legacy has a bit of rust on the pol pieces, what’s the safest way to remove that?

I need help trying to bond with the blues boy. So far I’m not a huge fan of the mfd pickup. I love MFD pickups, Just not in this bluesboy. I’m thinking it’s user error. Anyone have any tips for working with the pickup?

Re: G&L guitar questions.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:14 pm

NewEngland45 wrote:Hi! I have three G&L tributes: An S500, a Legacy, and a Bluesboy with a MFD pickup in the bridge.

All my guitars are second hand so I don’t know everything I’d like about them. How do I find out what wood they are made from? How do I find out what the nut is made from? I want locking tuners for all three, does anyone have any recommendations?

The Legacy has a bit of rust on the pol pieces, what’s the safest way to remove that?

I need help trying to bond with the blues boy. So far I’m not a huge fan of the mfd pickup. I love MFD pickups, Just not in this bluesboy. I’m thinking it’s user error. Anyone have any tips for working with the pickup?

First look at the first four digits of each serial number, that will tell you the YYMM of each instrument.
Reference post: Re: Serial number significance.

Next, go to the G&L Specifications and Options sub-forum in the Knowledgebase Forum and look for the Tribute Series Standard Production Models posts for the year of each instrument.
You will find the specifications for each standard Tribute Series models there. Note: if one or more of your guitars are Musician Friend/Guitar Center Tribute LE models, look at this post for those: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Note: for Tribute Series built in 2003-2008, let me know the model and I can furthur research those over the Internet Archives.

See this post: Tribute nut material?.

See these posts: Tribute locking tuners.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:40 pm

Oh, and don't forget to register your G&L instrument(s) in the G&L Registry.

And, remember: they do not exist without pictures! :searching:
For posting photos, see: Tutorial: Posting photos

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:04 pm

Howdy, try lowering the p'up to get it away from the strings a few mm.
I find the G&L mfd's sound better when you do this. Also try rolling off the treble a notch or two.
both work for me.

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:42 pm

I usually have some boost or overdrive on when I use the bridge p'up in my Bluesboy 90. Though sometimes straight in too. Typically I have the tone rolled back to 7-8. You might try some different sets of strings. Seems to me the bridge responds differently depending on what brand I use- not a huge tonal difference but worth experimenting worth imo. Not sure what kind of music you are playing but I think it sounds really good when boosted and cranked.
This guy uses some effects but gets a killer bridge tone-
phpBB [video]

Here is nice example of a cleaner bridge tone-
phpBB [video]

The bridge pickup in my BB90 is pretty microphonic and touch sensitive but it's really grown on me. I think if you stick with it you will grow to like it. Good luck.