ASAT Classic 'S' Launch Edition

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Does anyone know how to determine if an S model is one of the original 2004 "Launch Edition" guitars. I am looking to buy an S but there is very little discussion on them.

The Serial Number is CLF31848. Thanks.

Re: ASAT Classic 'S' Launch Edition

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:04 pm

LAPlayer wrote:Does anyone know how to determine if an S model is one of the original 2004 "Launch Edition" guitars. I am looking to buy an S but there is very little discussion on them.

I think you are asking about the 2004 Custom Creations ASAT Classic 'S' Special Build edition.
Which was when G&L introduced the ASAT Classic 'S' model as a limited edition.
See: http://web.archive.org/web/200405281407 ... /index.asp .
Also, see: List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars and Production List of G&L Instruments (USA)

The guitar you are looking into is registered in our G&L Registry. Here's the entry:
Serial Number: CLF31848
Ask the seller to send you a copy of the Certificate of Authenticity, as it will indicate that it is a Custom Creations model.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:10 pm

It does Craig. Thanks. I had done a SN check in the registry but didn't find it.

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:31 pm

LAPlayer wrote:Does anyone know how to determine if an S model is one of the original 2004 "Launch Edition" guitars. I am looking to buy an S but there is very little discussion on them.

As far as I can judge, chances are good it is. I have one from the 2007 run with an S/N in the CLF47### range. And the "normal" production of the ASAT Classic 'S' started in 2008 and should have even higher S/Ns.

- Jos

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:08 am

I have had the guitar since Monday. It is actually the best "Telecaster" guitar I've played - and I've had a few including a superb 1991 ASAT Classic Signature and many Fender models. The 5-way switch with the pull-pot makes it possible to have not only the normal BRIDGE-NECK/BRIDGE-NECK selection. It has the addition of CENTER ONLY - ALL THREE- BRIDGE/NECK. All that said - the Certificate of Authenticity doesn't mention Custom Creations.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 am

hey LAPlayer, that looks like a sweet player. wired up like the comanche/s-500. lots of tonal options.
here's my '15 classic semi-hollow, similar finish. also a great player/tone machine.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 am

Gorgeous.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:34 am

I sold a Fender this week so I'm down to two G&L ASAT's. Both great guitars but very different.
Image Image Image
Last edited by LAPlayer on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:29 pm

LAPlayer,

Nice you bought the guitar and even better you like it that much.

LAPlayer wrote:All that said - the Certificate of Authenticity doesn't mention Custom Creations.

Here it is important to understand the subtle difference between Custom Creation Department (CCD) Limited Edition models and Special Build. As the name implies, the former have a truly limited production run and therefore either have something special on the headstock and/or a special (Silver) Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) beyond the standard, Phyllis Fender "signed" COA provided with every post-1993 G&L. In contrast, a Special Build never had a Silver COA to indicate they were associated with the CCD mainly because there was never a guarantee production would be limited. For instance, the ASAT 'Super' had an initial run of 58 in 2004 but at least another 34 had been added by April 2010. The ASAT Classic 'S' had at least 2 runs of 100 in 2004 and 2007, respectively. Only starting December 2007, when production of a Special Build ASAT Classic Bluesboy w/spalted maple top started, does one find a CCD logo on the back of headstock on such models, many times with a sequence number.

- Jos

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:12 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Here it is important to understand the subtle difference between Custom Creation Department (CCD) Limited Edition models and Special Build. As the name implies, the former have a truly limited production run and therefore either have something special on the headstock and/or a special (Silver) Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) beyond the standard, Phyllis Fender "signed" COA provided with every post-1993 G&L. In contrast, a Special Build never had a Silver COA to indicate they were associated with the CCD mainly because there was never a guarantee production would be limited. For instance, the ASAT 'Super' had an initial run of 58 in 2004 but at least another 34 had been added by April 2010. The ASAT Classic 'S' had at least 2 runs of 100 in 2004 and 2007, respectively. Only starting December 2007, when production of a Special Build ASAT Classic Bluesboy w/spalted maple top started, does one find a CCD logo on the back of headstock on such models, many times with a sequence number.

- Jos

FWIW, my 2007 Special Build Comanche Studio VI came with a Silver Certificate of Authenticity, with CCD logo. There's no CCD logo or number on the headstock, tho.

Congrats on the ASAT Classic S, and I love :luv: the grain on your ASAT Signature!

The expanded switching on the Classic S and other BBE-era three-pickup guitars is one place where I think they are better than a pre-BBE ASAT III.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 pm

Wait a sec—now I recognize that ASAT Classic Signature!! :clap:

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:04 pm

tomanche wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Here it is important to understand the subtle difference between Custom Creation Department (CCD) Limited Edition models and Special Build. As the name implies, the former have a truly limited production run and therefore either have something special on the headstock and/or a special (Silver) Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) beyond the standard, Phyllis Fender "signed" COA provided with every post-1993 G&L. In contrast, a Special Build never had a Silver COA to indicate they were associated with the CCD mainly because there was never a guarantee production would be limited. For instance, the ASAT 'Super' had an initial run of 58 in 2004 but at least another 34 had been added by April 2010. The ASAT Classic 'S' had at least 2 runs of 100 in 2004 and 2007, respectively. Only starting December 2007, when production of a Special Build ASAT Classic Bluesboy w/spalted maple top started, does one find a CCD logo on the back of headstock on such models, many times with a sequence number.

- Jos

FWIW, my 2007 Special Build Comanche Studio VI came with a Silver Certificate of Authenticity, with CCD logo. There's no CCD logo or number on the headstock, tho.

Congrats on the ASAT Classic S, and I love :luv: the grain on your ASAT Signature!

The expanded switching on the Classic S and other BBE-era three-pickup guitars is one place where I think they are better than a pre-BBE ASAT III.

Yes, it wasn't until July 2007 that the Custom Creations models got the Silver Certificate of Authenticity, including the Special Builds.
For some reason they left the Certificate off of the specs for the ASAT Classic Bluesboy w/Spalted Maple Top Special Build, so I don't
know if they were issued for them. The Legacy Spalted Maple Special Build, the L-2000 Spalted Maple Special Build and the Comanche Studio VI Special Build included the Silver Certificate. I was mistaken about the ASAT Classic 'S' Special Build having this Certificate. :oops:

Reference the Internet Archives link: http://web.archive.org/web/20081216085309/http://www.glguitars.com/.