Odd G&L hardshell case

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 pm

So I bought a used Legacy on line recently, and it came with a non-OG HSC. G&L branded, rectangular, locking latches, a bit scuffed and stained but good quality. Too bad it doesn't fit the guitar! The Legacy slops around in it side to side, and is a touch too long for the case, and it feels like it's pressing on the guitar too hard when I close it. So I'm going to try to sell the case and get something else.

Problem is what to list it as? "For sale - HSC for a G&L ...something...". I have no idea what G&L guitar this case was intended for! From the space for the headstock it looks like they are trying to cover every guitar ever made with one case.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Re: Odd G&L hardshell case

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 pm

Not odd at all, it is a 1995-2008 Modern Plastic Case, See this GbL Gallery Album: Album: Instrument Cases.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi Craig: Thanks for the quick reply. It looks close, except the headstock space on mine fans out both ways, like they were trying to accommodate a Dean with the V headstock or both L and R handed hockey stick headstocks or something!

Also why would G&L make their generic case NOT fit the Legacy? I mean it really does not fit well. The tip of the headstock has almost no foam between it and the case wall, and it looks like someone had to form their own dent in the foam lining for it to fit at all. The guitar doesn't sit flat properly in the case, and it has too much room to move around side to side. If I bought a new guitar from a store and they gave that case I'd refuse it at first sight and assume the sales guy grabbed the wrong case!

So it just seems more likely it's the wrong case...?

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Jim

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:19 am

Jiminvan wrote:Hi Craig: Thanks for the quick reply. It looks close, except the headstock space on mine fans out both ways, like they were trying to accommodate a Dean with the V headstock or both L and R handed hockey stick headstocks or something!

Also why would G&L make their generic case NOT fit the Legacy? I mean it really does not fit well. The tip of the headstock has almost no foam between it and the case wall, and it looks like someone had to form their own dent in the foam lining for it to fit at all. The guitar doesn't sit flat properly in the case, and it has too much room to move around side to side. If I bought a new guitar from a store and they gave that case I'd refuse it at first sight and assume the sales guy grabbed the wrong case!

So it just seems more likely it's the wrong case...?

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Jim

I just checked to make sure, and it's the same case as I have for my S-500, which IIRC is from 2005. Mine doesn't fit at all well, either, and I've always wondered about that. It doesn't seem to be a problem, though.

--Al Evans

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 am

Thanks Al. It's at least a bit reassuring that I'm not imagining it!

Really odd that G&L would let this be their main case for however many years, with such obviously poor fit for one of their main guitars.

Whatever. I'll buy a long enough good enough gig bag and let this case gather dust in the crawl space.

Cheers,
Jim

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 am

I have the same case for my S-500. The guitar fits fine and doesn't move around in the case ( I picked it up and gave it a good shake ).

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:07 am

i have one of these cases for a 2007 ASAT Special.
it looks like the guitar mold/impression in the case is for an S-style gtr, not asat, notice the two "horns", and the gtr does slide around a bit within that impression while the case is open. Length wise the gtr fits, but barely, and there is an impression of the upper shell of the case that accomodates the "nose" of the headstock, very close to the edge of the case. However, the gtr does fit, and when the case is fastened shut, the gtr does not move around in there, so seems supportive/protective. I kind of like this case because it is much lighter than the G&G cases, and is more compact.