Blew up my pedalboard yesterday

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 pm

So sore ring finger and all, managed to play at a festival yesterday and there was a problem with the power supply. I think we wound up getting 220 to the stage and I fried my Furman SPB-8 pedalboard. I think all of the pedals are good (Thank you, Lord!), but the board's power supply had smoke rolling out of it...never a good sign. Fortunately, I have a backup.

We also lost three pieces in our rack: a Peavey Kosmos, a x-over and the EFX unit. I figure we are down about $700 even after after we got paid. I've got a call into Furman to see if they can rebuild my board for a nominal fee. I'm going to call one of the organizers to see if they are willing to cover some of out costs--since it is their fault. Don, my bassist, seems to have gotten the worst of it with the damage to the rack gear.

Anyone ever have something like this happen?

Once we got a secure and stable power supply, things went pretty well. Glad I didn't fry my Mesa Maverick 212; or for that matter, I'm grateful no one got killed. Used my Belair Green/RW/Pearl guard Legacy and "Marilyn", my Butterscotch/GOT/Ebony/pearl Legacy Special. I also used my Taylor 710CE; my blueburst DanElectro Innuendo 12-string and my Peacock Blue Les Paul Elegant. We got a lot of very nice compliments, some free food from the vendors, and a full tip bucket. It was 85F but no humidity and breezy.

Everyone had a pretty good time, except for the poor pedalboard and the rack gear. :shocked028:

Bill

Re: Blew up my pedalboard yesterday

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:54 am

Hey Bill,

Bummer about the board damage :( , but at least no one was injured and no more damage was done. Let us hear who, if any of the organizers respond and what they say, and what Furman does for you.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 am

Dang with the damage, the venue should cover ALL damages, hope you at least get something from them.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Wow! I'm just happy to hear that you're out there playing again. I've been a little worried about you, Bill. When you told of your inability to enjoy real coffee anymore, it made me sad. I did perk up (ha!) a bit when you followed up that you still enjoyed beer though!

Hey, my first G&L - an ASAT Special - was of the same "Belair Green/RW/Pearl guard" combo as your Legacy. What a beautiful combination! I let that one go to Fred Jr. when I got both an early SC-2 and ZW's '86 ASAT. Didn't need three large MFD-equipped beasts. I still dream of her though.

How's Ms. Leslie? - ed

BTW, I agree with our current Lunch Reporter that the venue should cover all losses related to the power problem. If you want me to send a letter on behalf of you and da boyz on my attorney letterhead, just send me a PM and I'll make it so!

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:50 pm

I have never seen anything catch on fire during or before a performance. Faulty pyrotechnics, yes. Festivals have to carry at least $1M in liability insurance for a festival/event. I used to put on a festival in SW Florida in the 90's and that was the deal. Their policy may cover your property. I'd press the issue...

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:39 pm

replyman wrote:I have never seen anything catch on fire during or before a performance. Faulty pyrotechnics, yes. Festivals have to carry at least $1M in liability insurance for a festival/event. I used to put on a festival in SW Florida in the 90's and that was the deal. Their policy may cover your property. I'd press the issue...

I had a resistor in a old tube amp go up in flames once ahah, teach me to jump the fuse.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Ha! I had an old Ampeg Rocket that I replaced the fuse with a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil in. Worked like a charm! ;+) - ed

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:17 am

hey Bill, keep us local guys posted on your next gig. I want to see you play...and see something catch on fire. :evilgrin: