G&L trem block

Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi , im new to this forum and I recently got a brand new G&L s500 LH INDONESIA and I noticed when you take the back plate off the trem block (bridge)is NOT centered perfectly and rubbing onto the body towards the high E side , but the weirdest part is is that it is just enough space where the guitar functions and plays, but if you tighten the 2 height screws ontop it does not move as free and it kinda stays lower or higher however you bend the trem bar and it kinda sticks . Also I would guess because of it being off centered , all the strings along the neck to the nut are slightly shifted towards the high E but its on enough where the string stays on the fret . So if anyones ever heard of something like this or can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: G&L trem block

Tue May 12, 2020 2:42 pm

Sean500LH wrote:Hi , im new to this forum and I recently got a brand new G&L s500 LH INDONESIA and I noticed when you take the back plate off the trem block (bridge)is NOT centered perfectly and rubbing onto the body towards the high E side , but the weirdest part is is that it is just enough space where the guitar functions and plays, but if you tighten the 2 height screws ontop it does not move as free and it kinda stays lower or higher however you bend the trem bar and it kinda sticks . Also I would guess because of it being off centered , all the strings along the neck to the nut are slightly shifted towards the high E but its on enough where the string stays on the fret . So if anyones ever heard of something like this or can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Please post photos of the trem springs/trem block. For posting photos, see: Tutorial: Posting photos.
Make sure the bridge plate is parallel with the body and insure that the two bridge posts are equal height. Also, do not adjust these posts
without first loosening the string tension of all strings.

If you are unable to get this set up right, contact the G&L dealer you purchased the guitar from and see what they can do a setup for you.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Wed May 13, 2020 11:41 am

Hi craig I am probably goong to take it in somewhere to get re-setup and I downloaded imgur and will try to put the link in this post . I also noticed for the height adjusting screws ontop that one of them keep on spinning when you tighten down all the way and is kind of flopping with no strings or tension of course( the brisge seems stable with tension) https://imgur.com/gallery/rlNFvZh I am not familiar with posting pictures on forums so that might not have worked...

Wed May 13, 2020 2:30 pm

Sean500LH wrote:Hi craig I am probably goong to take it in somewhere to get re-setup and I downloaded imgur and will try to put the link in this post . I also noticed for the height adjusting screws ontop that one of them keep on spinning when you tighten down all the way and is kind of flopping with no strings or tension of course( the brisge seems stable with tension) https://imgur.com/gallery/rlNFvZh I am not familiar with posting pictures on forums so that might not have worked...

It sounds like one of the brass inserts for the pivot bolts has stripped inside the body. I highly recommend that you contact
the dealer and let them know about these issues. It should be covered under warranty and I would expect that they will replace the guitar
and send the defective one back to G&L.

Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am

Thanks for helping me out with this , and I messaged the guitarshop since they are out of state where I purchased it online ( of course) and it is probably over the 30 day guarantee from that shop but the only catch , and I should have posted this earlier that the second day I had this guitar it was on a guitar stand and my friend walked past it and it fell face first on my wooden floor and it has a little nick on the body and I noticed there are stress cracks (hopefully just the paint layer) where the neck and body meet so that would not be covered without me paying a restocking fee for their shop so Im trying to figure out if I can use the actual G&L warranty itself for I guess it would be a personal defect which would come down to me , but I noticed the trem block and the strings shifted right out of the box but the guitar falling over could have caused the brass insert to strip and the tiny cracks possibly, somehow Im not sure but I have a little dilemna going on here .

Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 am

Sean500LH wrote:Thanks for helping me out with this , and I messaged the guitarshop since they are out of state where I purchased it online ( of course) and it is probably over the 30 day guarantee from that shop but the only catch , and I should have posted this earlier that the second day I had this guitar it was on a guitar stand and my friend walked past it and it fell face first on my wooden floor and it has a little nick on the body and I noticed there are stress cracks (hopefully just the paint layer) where the neck and body meet so that would not be covered without me paying a restocking fee for their shop so Im trying to figure out if I can use the actual G&L warranty itself for I guess it would be a personal defect which would come down to me , but I noticed the trem block and the strings shifted right out of the box but the guitar falling over could have caused the brass insert to strip and the tiny cracks possibly, somehow Im not sure but I have a little dilemna going on here .

Too bad about that accident in your home. It would void the G&L warranty. Also, if the dealer had a separate warranty, it too would be voided. My suggestion is to take it to a local guitar shop and get an estimate to repair and setup this guitar.
You can then determine whether or not to have it repaired.