Considering a Doheny, have a few questions, seeking opinions

Tue May 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Hey all. I’ve been considering getting another G&L to add to the several that I already have. Since I have several Legacies, ASATS, Strats, and Teles, I’m thinking of something different. I was thinking of a Comanche, but after reading up, I think it’s a little too “different” for my tastes. The brightness of the pickups, and how folks seem to have to radically change their amp settings, etc. is likely too far outside the box for me.

So as I read up on the Doheny, I’m thinking it could be a good fit. I’ve been reading reviews and checking out youtube sound clips, and like what I’m hearing so far.

So for some of you forum members who may have experience with the model, please tell me what you think of it. I realize it is different from a Legacy or ASAT, but do you consider it to be radically different, like the Comanche, or still somewhat traditional? I’m ok with it being somewhat different, but I don’t want to get too far outside the scope of traditional Leo Fender instruments. I’d like to use the PTB tone circuit to get traditional sounds as well as “new” and different sounds.

I was looking for the Doheny on the G&L guitar generator option site, and do not see it on there. Does anyone know why?

I was considering a Tribute to see how I like it, but at this point, I’ll probably lean toward a USA model after I check out some more youtube reviews, and get opinions here from you all. I looked around for used examples, and don’t see very many. Not really even seeing that many new ones. I really like the block inlays, but it seems that I see them more on the Tributes. I’m not really looking to spend 2 grand on a special order, so I’ll probably settle for dots, and try to find a basic one in stock somewhere that I like the color of.

Does anyone know if a Doheny will be offered in the 40th Anniversary red color scheme, or is that just the S-500?

Overall, I guess I’m just looking for opinions, options, things to consider, etc. Thanks.

JT

Re: Considering a Doheny, have a few questions, seeking opin

Wed May 06, 2020 7:34 am

I have a USA Doheny but don't really have much experience with traditional Jazzmasters. I've had my Doheny since the beginning of the year, I got it in an end of the year sale at a local dealer. Mine was a custom order they had put through just to have some cool guitars on the floor, it was on the floor about 6 months before I bought it.

I was playing a Tele before the Doheny. I still feel like the Doheny is quite traditional. My impression is that it is not as bright as a traditional Jazzmaster FWIW. Coming from a Tele it sounds very familiar, just with everything a bit more balanced. The Treble is not quite as ear piercing on the bridge, the neck is more open & clear.

The Hot MFD pickups & PTB system are not real traditional but they're genius. I don't really want to ever buy another guitar without a system like the PTB. The Bass roll-off/high-pass filter is a game changer IMO. It gives you tons more sounds out of the guitar and it's always there to "tighten up" things like pedals and effects without you having to go buy a different pedal or effect. So many people are constantly swapping out drive/fuzz/distortion pedals over the EQ of the pedal when something like the PTB would be much simpler. Also the Treble-bleed/volume roll off with the PTB is fantastic, not too bright, not too dark. All the traditional sounds are there IMO if you just adjust the knobs.. if you turn the volume down on the guitar and then adjust the tone & bass you'll get to traditional territory.

The big thing to go USA vs Tribute is neck feel, that's all that's really different. Tributes have a gloss back on the neck IIRC. Some USA models do too, but I greatly prefer the satin which is what I got. Fretwork is better on the USA guitars, but it was great on the tributes too.

Every Doheny I've seen USA or Tribute has had block inlays, I think that's standard unless you special ordered with a different inlay.

I have only tried Dohenys with the the DFW bridge. Like I said I have not played a Jazzmaster much. I have played the Strat a lot (and quite a few different ones), I like the DFW *much* better than any standard Strat bridge I've tried. All the edges on the DFW bridge are smooth & comfortable, tuning is excellent, basically everything about it is great.

If you find a USA one that's been sitting for a while you might save a bundle, and the street prices might just be lower anyway. My guitar is a 1-pc Swamp Ash body with "Blackburst" finish with the Caribbean Rosewood fretboard, the original MSRP was [price deleted by Admin]. The dealer's price was much lower than that, and then they had a sale going on, so I walked out with the guitar in a smoking deal.
Last edited by Craig on Wed May 06, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin removed MSRP price as it is not allowed.

Wed May 06, 2020 10:50 am

guitar1580 wrote:....
I was looking for the Doheny on the G&L guitar generator option site, and do not see it on there. Does anyone know why?

Does anyone know if a Doheny will be offered in the 40th Anniversary red color scheme, or is that just the S-500?

JT

If you are referring to American Guitar Boutique's http://www.glguitarsgenerator.com/, they have not updated their generator
for at least 5 years. I see that they are still listed as a G&L dealer in Alabama but I don't why they are not maintaining their tool.
See this post: Guitar Builder. We have the current specifications and options in our G&L Knowledgebase forum.
See this post: Current G&L Specifications and Options.

The 40th Anniversary Clear Ruby Red finish is only available on the two 40th Anniversary models (S-500 guitar and SB-1 bass).
Also on the G&L Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Collection: Espada and L-2000 in 40th Anniversary Clear Ruby Red Thin Urethane.

Hope this helps.

Wed May 06, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks Craig. I did find some great pics on one of the other pages you linked.

Thanks for the insight, ben. Yes, I did find a dealer who wants to make me a killer deal on one that they've had for a while, and since they've been closed due to the pandemic. It doesn't have the block inlays, but it has a LOT that I do like. I'm about ready to make the deal, possibly today.

Will update.

JT

Wed May 06, 2020 5:17 pm

beninma, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that one of yours, if you have.

Anyone else too.

I'm 99% of the way there on making a deal on this one that I've been discussing with a dealer about. I'm not gonna jinx it by saying what or where it is yet, but I plan on making the transaction tomorrow. It's a sweet one.

JT

Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 pm

Update: I made the deal today on a sweet USA Doheny. It is one of the limited run of 30 Doheny models with custom mermaid artwork by tiki artist, Clee Sobieski. It is a metallic graphite color with matching headstock and ebony fingerboard. I had originally considered these out of my price range, but ended up making a deal that I'm happy with.

The thing that really sold me on it more than the artwork was the ebony fingerboard. I really like ebony boards, and I know it is getting harder to come by, and comes at an added expense. It also has the Modern Classic neck profile with 9.5 radius, which I have on my ASAT, and I'd say it is my favorite G&L neck out of the four different ones that I have.

Many of the online photos I've seen of these look kind of purple. The store owner took some better pics for me, and the metallic grey is really beautiful. I have many red, black, blonde, and sunburst guitars, but this is going to be a first. Can't wait to get it.

I tried to post a photo, but it's evidently too large, and I couldn't figure out the resized method from the instruction thread. Maybe later.

Sat May 09, 2020 12:57 am

Oh that’s an awesome choice; I remember seeing the pics of that model at NAMM, and really wanting one. Still haven’t come across a Doheny to try out - but I am a big Jazzmaster fan. Very ergonomic guitars, and off-hand with the 21 fret necks etc. the Doheny appears modeled closer to the Fender equivalent than say a Legacy vs. Strat (the hardware and electronics are quite different obviously.) Enjoy, look forward to seeing pics if you can get any posted.

Sat May 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Indeed a great choice! And rather unique and limited too.

Congrats!

- Jos

P.S. For resizing your picture, the
Code:
[timage="300,400"]picture uri to much larger picture[/timage]
notation should work. Here I use 300px by 400px as an example; you can scale your phot down to whatever you want while keeping the original aspect ratio. And when one clicks on the image, you get the larger version. Here an example using that tag to show a picture of my Tiki Doheny of the other kind:

Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks guys. @Yowhatsshakin, you got the Hula Girl model! Nice! That's a beauty. I think it was a great idea that G&L did these.

My dealer wasn't sure how many of each were made, so I actually found the artist online and emailed him. He got back to me and told me he did 30 of each. I also wasn't sure what the heck the image above the mermaid was on mine, so I asked him. He explained that it is an "anglerfish". I had to look it up to see what that even was - an odd looking fish with big bottom teeth and a tentacle on top that glows on the tip. I never would have made sense of it.

I'm pretty sure that some of these went to dealerships in Europe and Japan. I'd like to know how many remained in the US. Either way, they're scarce and will become valuable collector pieces, in my opinion.

JT

Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 am

I thought I would update. I got the new Doheny and am really liking it a lot. Love the color, the artwork, the ebony board, and it sounds great. The dealer was great to work with, and put on the .011 gauge strings that I use and made the necessary adjustments. The dealer said that it fit really tightly in the case and was hard to get in, so he gave me a Custom Shop case instead. No complaints here. Here are the pics. It's a great instrument.

Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

I remember this guitar from NAMM and said back then this was my favorite one with the graphics. I also said at the time that if it were my guitar I'd put black screws in for the pickguard to replace the chrome ones. Gorgeously striking!

Tue May 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Kit wrote:I remember this guitar from NAMM and said back then this was my favorite one with the graphics. I also said at the time that if it were my guitar I'd put black screws in for the pickguard to replace the chrome ones. Gorgeously striking!

Thanks man. That's a pretty good idea about the black screws. I may consider that.

I'm thinking about getting one of my artist friends to paint the mermaid on the case.

Wed May 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Appears to live up to my expectations from the looks of it, hope it's a great player :D

Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Danley, yes, I think it's going to be a great guitar, but I ended up having an issue where I think the nut is cut improperly, and the string spacing puts the E strings too close to the edge of the fretboard. How is yours, compared to other Modern Classic necks? I'm going to post a question about this in this same forum section and go into more detail.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 am

Are you coming off a guitar that didn't have the edges of the fretboard rolled or otherwise finished?

My Doheny took a little bit of adjustment with the high-E coming off a Fender that had a sharp edge to the fretboard but I adjusted to it after a little bit and I greatly prefer it now.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:17 pm

beninma wrote:Are you coming off a guitar that didn't have the edges of the fretboard rolled or otherwise finished?

My Doheny took a little bit of adjustment with the high-E coming off a Fender that had a sharp edge to the fretboard but I adjusted to it after a little bit and I greatly prefer it now.

No, I have 5 other G&L guitars, with different neck profiles. I really like the Modern Classic with 9.5 radius, and have a Bluesboy with that neck. Unfortunately, the mermaid Doheny was supposed to be the same, but the neck was cut much more narrow, for some reason, putting the E strings too close to the ends of the frets. It was way off of the +/- .015" tolerance. I ended up returning the guitar because it was too much $$ to not be satisfied with the neck.

The dealer had an ASAT Special with the same neck profile and ebony fingerboard that I ended up getting. I'm much happier with it, and am glad it all worked out well. G&L and my dealer were great regarding the warranty claim, so all turned out well.

I'll do a post later on the ASAT with pics. It's a sweet guitar.