Lightweight replacement tuners for Asat Classic USA?

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:45 pm

I would love to find some direct drop in, lighter weight tuners for my Asat Classic Bluesboy.

It is just a touch neck heavy. The tuners aren't bad, but two need to be replaced anyway as they are catching and not smooth anymore..... they are the regular G&L stamped tuners.

It is a great guitar, but would be just about perfect if I can even slightly help with the neck heaviness and get some nice, smooth and light tuners on her.

I'd prefer to not have to do any drilling in any way.

Thanks for suggestions if you have them!

Bryan

Re: Lightweight replacement tuners for Asat Classic USA?

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:40 pm

No ideas?

Might bite the bullet and put some vintage style tuners on there from either Kluson or Gotoh with white buttons. Love the look and they always work great. Have both on different guitars. I'll try and see if either have a version that would fit well.

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:29 pm

i can't imagine there being a big difference in weight, but you don't know til you try! the vintage ones with the white plastic knobs should be plenty light. what really matters is the gear action. i like a suede strap (inside and outside surfaces) if the gtr is slightly neck heavy. grabs my shirt, prevents overt dive.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am

drjho7 wrote:i can't imagine there being a big difference in weight, but you don't know til you try! the vintage ones with the white plastic knobs should be plenty light. what really matters is the gear action. i like a suede strap (inside and outside surfaces) if the gtr is slightly neck heavy. grabs my shirt, prevents overt dive.

Good stuff.

I'm going to order some of the regular G&L branded Schaller tuners from the G&L site.. the price is great and it should fix the issue I have with a couple of them. Buying singles online wasn't much cheaper!

I already ordered Schaller white pearl buttons that fit.. those on their own will cut the weight by 1.3 ounces... not much but it is something.

THe next step is getting a strap that will add friction and I believe that will really solve the problem. This neck dive is small and the strap on its own will probably do the trick..... adding the white pearl buttons will help slightly maybe... but they also look great in my opinion.

Thanks!

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:26 am

bford wrote:
drjho7 wrote:i can't imagine there being a big difference in weight, but you don't know til you try! the vintage ones with the white plastic knobs should be plenty light. what really matters is the gear action. i like a suede strap (inside and outside surfaces) if the gtr is slightly neck heavy. grabs my shirt, prevents overt dive.

Good stuff.

I'm going to order some of the regular G&L branded Schaller tuners from the G&L site.. the price is great and it should fix the issue I have with a couple of them. Buying singles online wasn't much cheaper!

I already ordered Schaller white pearl buttons that fit.. those on their own will cut the weight by 1.3 ounces... not much but it is something.

THe next step is getting a strap that will add friction and I believe that will really solve the problem. This neck dive is small and the strap on its own will probably do the trick..... adding the white pearl buttons will help slightly maybe... but they also look great in my opinion.

Thanks!

The current tuners on the G&L On-Line store are not made by Schaller but are compatible (same pin location).
See: What tuners are used on G&L guitars (USA models)?.

Hope this helps.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:53 pm

So the USA tuners are not made by Schaller anymore? Who is making them? This seems like important information. I'll try reaching out to G&L I guess.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Plot twist... pulled the neck when going to change strings...

this guitar body was built in 2005. The neck date is smeared and can't be read.

I pulled the pickguard and it does have the SD Seth Lover neck pickup.

So the tuners should be the older Schallers... but at least they are fifteen years old.

Also, this guitar is in pretty amazing shape for being fifteenish years old.

I'd still like to change the tuners.. and I'd still love to get some white buttons for it.

I bought some Schaller Mini M6 pearloid buttons, but sadly, they do not fit, so I'm not sure where to go from here in that regard.

G&L offered to replace the tuners.... even though I bought it used.... but I did just email them back letting them know the guitar is much older and from 2005.

Does anyone know if it was the Schaller M6 or mini M6 in 2005... and if they were using the large or small buttons?

Sun May 10, 2020 9:05 pm

Purchased mini M6 white button tuners.... didn't fit.... purchased regular size M6 white buttons.... didn't fit.

Argh.

I'm about ready to just find some white button 10mm tuners and put them on... wish there was an easy direct replacement. Frustrating.

Mon May 11, 2020 8:57 am

So how much lighters are those tuners than the stock ones? I've never found those tuners heavy at all...and the ASAT doesn't have neck dive. Seems like a lot of hassle for little to no benefit.

Mon May 11, 2020 9:02 pm

bford wrote:Purchased mini M6 white button tuners.... didn't fit.... purchased regular size M6 white buttons.... didn't fit.

Argh.

I'm about ready to just find some white button 10mm tuners and put them on... wish there was an easy direct replacement. Frustrating.

When you say the tuners didn't fit, what exactly do you mean?

In terms of who makes the current G&L branded guitar tuners, we haven't had a definitive answer on here, but I believe the bass tuners are made by Ping.

David