My ASAT Slim C neck is actually 42MM at the nut

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Is this normal? It was custom ordered. I thought these were all 41MM?

Re: My ASAT Slim C neck is actually 42MM at the nut

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:09 pm

jbandy10 wrote:Is this normal? It was custom ordered. I thought these were all 41MM?

1 5/8" nut width is equal to 41.28 mm.
What does the Build Specifications sheet say the nut width is?
How are you measuring the nut width on your ASAT? Calipers or ruler?

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:44 pm

Craig wrote:
jbandy10 wrote:Is this normal? It was custom ordered. I thought these were all 41MM?

I'm measuring with calipers. My build sheet says 1 5'8" just like it should.

I remeasured. Just in front of the nut, I've got 41.92. Just behind the nut on the headstock side of it, I've got 41.85. Pretty far from 41.28 MM

I'm honestly a little bummed. The neck came out a little bigger than I'd imagined it would be and now I know why.

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm

jbandy10 wrote:
Craig wrote:

I remeasured. Just in front of the nut, I've got 41.92. Just behind the nut on the headstock side of it, I've got 41.85. Pretty far from 41.28 MM

I'm honestly a little bummed. The neck came out a little bigger than I'd imagined it would be and now I know why.

What does the nut width measure?

I suggest contacting the selling dealer and find out what your options are about this, which is required for warranty work.

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:03 pm

Craig wrote:
jbandy10 wrote:
Craig wrote:

What does the nut width measure?

I suggest contacting the selling dealer and find out what your options are about this, which is required for warranty work.

The actual nut width is 42 MM.

I bought it from Upfront Guitars. I guess I'll email them.

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:26 am

So I contacted my dealer about a week ago. I heard back immediately. They were skeptical, as I was. They asked if I could double check. I sent them pictures with caliper readings as proof.

Haven't heard back from the dealer for 5 days now.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:02 am

So I called G&L directly and was told to email them the info.

Their support email just comes back undelivered every time. I'm 100% sure I am using the correct email found on their support page.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:32 am

Here is an alternate email address I use to contact Memo (Tech Support): Repairs@bbesound.com.

Hope this helps.

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Craig wrote:

Here is an alternate email address I use to contact Memo (Tech Support): Repairs@bbesound.com.

Hope this helps.

Also doesn't work....

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 pm

jbandy10 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Also doesn't work....

I texted a contact and he is looking into it.
Stay tuned.

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 pm

I heard back:

"the email is coming in on both addresses. Memo said if someone attached pics that are too large (cumulatively)
it will get rejected. "

Try again with smaller or fewer pics and send multiple emails to get all your pics to him.

Hope this helps.

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:49 pm

I have now measured 100s of nut widths on G&L, which have always been expressed in fractions of an inch. In my experience, I have seen a variance of ±1/32" in these widths, exactly the uncertainty one would expect when something is expressed up to 1/16" (which is actually the precision used at G&L, think the 1 11/16" nut). And 1/32" is equivalent to about .8mm, making your numbers of 41.95mm and/or 41.85mm right smack dab on top of, and from an experimentalists viewpoint indistinguishable from, 41.28mm if the proper tolerances are taken into account.

Just to elaborate what measurement uncertainty actually means, consider this. My caliper has 3 settings: mils, fractions of an inch, and millimeters. The mils are ±.0005" (i.e. ±.0127mm), fractions of inches ±1/64" (.0156" or .397mm), and millimeters is ±.01mm (.0004"). So you used the most precise scale, but forgot to appreciate nuts are only produced in fractions of an inch, not mils nor millimeters and certainly not with the precision corresponding to your chosen scale. Hence, from a measurement perspective, you use the wrong scale and you (including Craig) should forego any conversions.

Put your caliper in the fractions of an inch setting and measure again. The uncertainty in reading the number will be much larger. And this is besides the error you'll make if not holding the caliper perfectly parallel to the face of the nut. To solve the latter, you'd have to wiggle it around a bit while gently pushing it inward. The number with trace a parabola with the minimum the true measurement.

- Jos (with PhD in experimental physics)

Wed May 06, 2020 5:31 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:I have now measured 100s of nut widths on G&L, which have always been expressed in fractions of an inch. In my experience, I have seen a variance of ±1/32" in these widths, exactly the uncertainty one would expect when something is expressed up to 1/16" (which is actually the precision used at G&L, think the 1 11/16" nut). And 1/32" is equivalent to about .8mm, making your numbers of 41.95mm and/or 41.85mm right smack dab on top of, and from an experimentalists viewpoint indistinguishable from, 41.28mm if the proper tolerances are taken into account.

Just to elaborate what measurement uncertainty actually means, consider this. My caliper has 3 settings: mils, fractions of an inch, and millimeters. The mils are ±.0005" (i.e. ±.0127mm), fractions of inches ±1/64" (.0156" or .397mm), and millimeters is ±.01mm (.0004"). So you used the most precise scale, but forgot to appreciate nuts are only produced in fractions of an inch, not mils nor millimeters and certainly not with the precision corresponding to your chosen scale. Hence, from a measurement perspective, you use the wrong scale and you (including Craig) should forego any conversions.

Put your caliper in the fractions of an inch setting and measure again. The uncertainty in reading the number will be much larger. And this is besides the error you'll make if not holding the caliper perfectly parallel to the face of the nut. To solve the latter, you'd have to wiggle it around a bit while gently pushing it inward. The number with trace a parabola with the minimum the true measurement.

- Jos (with PhD in experimental physics)

I did many measurements. Some were actually 42MM A couple of them were 41.95 and 41.89. But I tried to get the nut at a lot of points. It's roughly 42MM.

My measurements are correct. This neck is outside of their quoted tolerances. I have other guitars with actual 1 and 5'8" necks. They are all narrower than this. Something is off, and I know it.

Craig wrote:I heard back:

"the email is coming in on both addresses. Memo said if someone attached pics that are too large (cumulatively)
it will get rejected. "

Try again with smaller or fewer pics and send multiple emails to get all your pics to him.

Hope this helps.

I figured this out by calling them. Sent an email last week that got through. Haven't heard back, though.

Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 am

It's been weeks now and no response.

I'm never purchasing another G&L after this. No response from the dealer or the factory. Just emailing the factory was a 3 week ordeal of confusion.

Don't give me the Covid excuse either. Ernie Ball is 2 hours up the road and I called them wanting a replacement trem arm for my guitar. They had it shipped to me in DAYS.

Mon May 18, 2020 10:16 am

jbandy10 wrote:I figured this out by calling them. Sent an email last week that got through. Haven't heard back, though.

My suggestion is to give them one more call (714)897-6766 extension 156. They are a small company and with all
that is going on lately ...