2 Asat Classic Customs and one needs a tone fix...

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:26 am

I’ve got 2 Asat Classic customs. The earlier version is a lightweight guitar. The 2nd one is heavier and built around 08’. The early one has a Birdseye maple neck and the 08’ is maple with a rosewood board.

While the tonal qualities are similar they are also very different. Both have the Asat Classic bridge pickup and the overwound MFD in the neck. The heavier 08’ version is brighter and has a lot more spank/tele quality in the bridge and overal more sustain. The lighter guitar is tighter and maybe “darker” is the right word. It just doesn’t have that tele sparkle and is tonally flatter overal.

I’m sure the body and neck wood play a role here (and I can’t change that) so I’m looking to round out the lighter one with some new pups that can maybe compensate. The older, lighter version is just not a very “lively” instrument. It’s an easier guitar to wear so I’d like to breathe some life into it.

Any suggestions? I Imagine it’s tough to find aftermarket pickups that fit that neck route? I’m thinking a spankier bridge pickup and a P90 in the neck if it can fit.

It just dawned on me that I should play with the pickup height.. I bought these guitars used a few years back and haven’t compared them.

Re: 2 Asat Classic Customs and one needs a tone fix...

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:03 am

thomasfxlt wrote:It just dawned on me that I should play with the pickup height.. I bought these guitars used a few years back and haven’t compared them.

That's a great idea. With all my guitars, once I get the action right I go to pickup height. Sometimes it makes a huge difference. Pickup height adjustment is also very forgiving, since any change can be easily undone. I also take some measurements so I can remember where I started, plus I also measure when I start to like how it sound. I then keep experimenting, but I can always get back to where I had liked it. And don't forget you can have the height be different on the treble side to the bass side.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 am

I'd def play around with the pup height, maybe even try a larger value pot for the volume.

Rio Grande pickups are made to fit ASATs:

https://www.riograndepickups.com/pickup ... at-guitars

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:51 am

Here are some posts to check out:
height of the neck pickup/asat classic custom
Can I swap the neck pickup in a Classic Custom for a Special
Neck pickup sounds too dark - solutions?

In your photo, is the CC with the Birdseye neck have the Blonde (semi-transparent) finish or Vintage White or White?
If it is the Blonde finish then the body wood is likely Swamp Ash otherwise the solid finishes will be over an Alder body.

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 am

It’s the semi-transparent finish. Very lightweight

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 am

Pickup height adjusted and bingo! The spank is back it sounds much better overall. It’s not quite as resonant as the black one but it sounds so much better.