G&L Legacy quality issues

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:35 am

Hey all,

I recently picked up a used G&L legacy guitar from Guitar Center. I took it in for a setup to get it ready for play. One of my concerns was that the action seemed to be pretty high for some of the strings, and I thought the nut might need a replacement.
The luthier took a look and said his concern is that the first fret was "a mile high." I have 45 days to return it, and I could pick up another G&L. But I wondered if anyone else had fret issues with their Legacy guitars? If it's to be expected there's no reason I should pick up another and go through the same thing.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: G&L Legacy quality issues

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Eisenkrote wrote:Hey all,

I recently picked up a used G&L legacy guitar from Guitar Center. I took it in for a setup to get it ready for play. One of my concerns was that the action seemed to be pretty high for some of the strings, and I thought the nut might need a replacement.
The luthier took a look and said his concern is that the first fret was "a mile high." I have 45 days to return it, and I could pick up another G&L. But I wondered if anyone else had fret issues with their Legacy guitars? If it's to be expected there's no reason I should pick up another and go through the same thing.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

How old is this Legacy and is it a US model or a Tribute model? (the serial number will help determine age and US or Tribute model)?
The US G&L Legacy has been in production since 1992. In 2006, G&L changed the neck construction (to a non-compression truss rod) and preparation (using a PLEK machine). Does this guitar have the original factory installed frets? Do you have a history of this used guitar, ie. fret replacement.

Please post some photos of this guitar including showing the fretboard and bridge setup. To post photos see this post and look for the link to the Tutorial on posting photos: Welcome! Read This First.

Looking forward to seeing this guitar. :searching:

Re: G&L Legacy quality issues

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Unfortunately, the guitar is now with the setup tech, who is taking a deeper look. I should hear back this weekend with the results. I do have a few pics from when I bought it (though not of the serial number or closeups or a side view of the neck):
https://imgur.com/VUI2Ikz
https://imgur.com/ejXwZ66