Conflicting Serial Numbers

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi. Quick question, I'll keep it simple! Guitar is a Tobacco sunburst Bluesboy with body binding. Would it be unusual to have a body with a 2005 date and a neck with a 2007?

I called G&L customer service with the serial number on the back of the head stock and they told me it was a 2006.

I then removed the neck. The body is stamped 2005 (cant read month) and the neck heel has a lightly penciled 07 with an odd little square with a short line going off the top right corner.

I spoke with them again, and now they say it is an 05 due to the body, and the neck is a 07. I'm wondering why the serial number on the back of the headstock indicated to them it was an 06, before they knew the date penciled in. Do they just guess too?

Also, is this normal or do you think this was a neck replacement? I looked through the serial number registry and most necks and bodies match, but I did see a fair amount with dates differing by one year and some (not many) with a 2 year difference.

I'm wondering if the body could have been made the end of 2005, and the neck early 2007?

Doesn't really matter, but Im curious. Thanks for any input!!!

Re: Conflicting Serial Numbers

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:32 am

After reading a bunch and looking at some online photos I have an additional question.

It appears most necks and bodies from the 2005 era had dates that were stamped. My body is stamped. However the penciled in writing on the neck heel is a weird little square with a line coming off the corner, a dash, then 07. Im wondering if the 07 could be the month, and the rest of the date has degraded or was sanded off for final fitting.

Oddly enough, I found a pic of another BLuesboy body pocket on line, and it had 14 stamped on the body pocket, and then an 07 penciled in (not near the date), could the 07 mean something other than date?

Thanks

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:44 am

Could you post some pix, please? That would help.

Regarding the difference in dates, yes, that is possible.

edg

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 am

I, too would like to see photos of the neck heel, neck pocket on body, a full length photo of the front and back of the guitar.
To post photos, see: Welcome! Read This First and look for the link to the Tutorial on posting photos.

Looking forward to seeing your photos. :searching:

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:31 am

Thanks. Read that I cant upload from my computer. Need online hosting. Don't have time right now, will try to set up in member gallery later.

Thanks!

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:01 am

OK! Talked to a very knowledgeable guy at G&L just a minute ago. He told me this:

G&L never hand wrote dates (in the 2000's), they were always stamped. Therefore, the 07 on the back of my neck is not a date. He said it had to do with quality control. He also said the people who did the quality control back then used their own special marks to identify themselves... hence the small square with the line. A symbol for someone! He said my guitar was assembled in Oct 2006 and all markings make sense.

I'll still post some photos soon.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 am

1977cj5 wrote:OK! Talked to a very knowledgeable guy at G&L just a minute ago. He told me this:

G&L never hand wrote dates (in the 2000's), they were always stamped. Therefore, the 07 on the back of my neck is not a date. He said it had to do with quality control. He also said the people who did the quality control back then used their own special marks to identify themselves... hence the small square with the line. A symbol for someone! He said my guitar was assembled in Oct 2006 and all markings make sense.

I'll still post some photos soon.

Good to hear you got the answers you were looking for from G&L. :thumbup:
Please also added your guitar to our G&L Registry.

Looking forward to seeing your ASAT Classic Bluesboy.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:52 am

I've added a Pixel reduced photo to the gallery. I just cant figure out how to post it. Yes I've read the "How to". When I go to my gallery and right click on the small pic or the big pic, I don't have the option to "Copy Image URL" I have copy link, which does not work... cant preview. any ideas.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:02 am

1977cj5 wrote:I've added a Pixel reduced photo to the gallery. I just cant figure out how to post it. Yes I've read the "How to". When I go to my gallery and right click on the small pic or the big pic, I don't have the option to "Copy Image URL" I have copy link, which does not work... cant preview. any ideas.

Which browser are you using? I use Chrome and the option to use is "Copy Image Address".

Here are your photos inline:

Very nice looking ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow! :thumbup:

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:38 pm

Wow. Thank you for doing that. When I have a chance, I'll see if chrome works for me. Did you click on the small picture in the gallery or the large one?

Thanks again!

I think its nice looking too. But, I have a thing for the Bluesboys, never seen one that did not look good to me! I sold one like this one about 5 years ago, and regretted it the minute it left my hands. Been looking off and on since, Saw this one come on-line at a local Guitar Center (thought it might be my old one. Wasn't) , I went straight there and got it before they even put it on the floor. It was pretty perfect except for the Seth Lover Pickup had the pole pieces turned way out (sitting really high) and the pick up itself was raised very high. It sounded pretty horrible... Went ahead and bought it, knowing it could be better. When I got home I put the pole pieces level with the cover, lowered the pickup and set the height by ear, and man... it is so sweet.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:31 pm

1977cj5 wrote:Wow. Thank you for doing that. When I have a chance, I'll see if chrome works for me. Did you click on the small picture in the gallery or the large one?

Thanks again!

You need to click on the large photo to view it and then right click to select the Copy Image Address selection.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:35 pm

that is a sweet looking blues boy. amazing finish, perfect string alignment. I bet it's a treat to play.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:29 am

drjho7 wrote:that is a sweet looking blues boy. amazing finish, perfect string alignment. I bet it's a treat to play.

Thanks. Yes, it plays and sounds really nice.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:43 am

Craig wrote:
1977cj5 wrote:Wow. Thank you for doing that. When I have a chance, I'll see if chrome works for me. Did you click on the small picture in the gallery or the large one?

Thanks again!

You need to click on the large photo to view it and then right click to select the Copy Image Address selection.

Hope this helps.

Well, you are correct. I did not have this choice (copy image address) with my other browser. I'm in Chrome now, and as you can see, Im able to post photos. Thanks for your help.

Here is a picture of the neck marking that had me baffled, and started this thread. For anyone interested, G&L told me the 07 was a quality control marking, not a date, they stamp, and include the month and day. The little square with the line preceding the 07 is the signature (unique mark) of the inspector.