ASAT Special with f-hole

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 am

Hi all,

I was blown away by a 2002 USA Legacy I bought a few years ago. So now I'm looking for an ASAT! I have a superb American Standard Telecaster I bought about twenty years ago, so I'd ideally want a model that sounds and feels quite different while retaining that Tele-esque charm. I think this suggests the Special model with the jumbo MFDs right? I'd ideally prefer a semi-hollow model with f-hole.

I've been looking for quite a while now for a good used guitar, although the amount of customs charges that have to be paid on imports to Europe from the USA mean that this won't be possible as the prices become too high. Also, it seems like USA G&L used guitar prices have been steadily increasing over the last few years since I bought my Legacy so given the scarcity as well, I'd consider the Tribute models if they had a Special with f-hole but they don't seem to right now.

So, I guess the obvious question is whether there is a significant tone difference between the solid and semi-hollow bodied ASAT Specials. Or is the difference more down to the weight perspective?

From what I've heard on YT I definitely prefer the sounds of the Special over the Classic, but not having played either perhaps I'm being to quick to "judge".

There is another possibility perhaps. Probably for good reasons, the Indonesian-built Tribute Bluesboys are quite easy to find used for pretty reasonable prices. Is it even feasible to take out that humbucker and somehow replace it with a jumbo MFD? Of course, this still leaves the fact that the bridge pickup would not be a jumbo, but perhaps I'd end up with a guitar that is pleasant enough to play and still different enough from my Tele?

I\d appreciate any comments you might be able to offer.

Re: ASAT Special with f-hole

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:57 am

I see one use tribute semi-hollow on ebay in fair condition,
...might be a good way to see if that's the direction you want to go.

I get a lot of twang from my old '86 ASAT even though there is no ashtray boxed bridge.
I haven't played a semi-hollow so I can't chime in there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-Speci ... 2854643745

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks @Elwood. I did see that one so was aware that at some point G&L produced the desired guitar as a Tribute model. But the problem is that importing from the US is very expensive. When I include shipping and all the various taxes this guitar would cost me over $850, so starts to get a bit expensive for what it is! On the other hand, I would have to wait until the right guitar pops up on eBay or Reverb more locally and then for not too much more money I might even get lucky enough to find a late '90s or early 2000s USA guitar. It's just a question of timing really. Do I take the time to find the right model? Lol. Because guitarists are notoriously patient!

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:17 am

AnthroTony wrote: Lol. Because guitarists are notoriously patient!

:D hehe...Yeah and then you are getting into vintage US made G&L prices.

happy hunting,Elwood

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:58 am

I'm in the camp the electric guitar tone is primarily driven by the pickup, not the "tone woods" or body construction. Does semi-hollow with f hole make a difference? Well I suppose it make a slight difference changing were the natural resonance of the overall guitar. How that plays with the pickup and our human hearing ability is... an on going debate. I a firm believer the placebo effect is far more powerful here. When you expect something and are looking for it, you will likely find it. I've observed this judging beer, once someone suggests a flavor or aroma that someone didn't detect, once alerted, they can't seem to not find it.

For two given guitars of tone one is searching for, construction of the guitar is about comfort, weight, play-ability, and aesthetics. When these factors align with our individual tastes, we will enjoy it more, play it more, and as a result play better.

First most, what sounds good?
Secondly, the looks, the feel, the overall experience that says "play me!"

Couple of my guitars I bought for the collect-ability (or limited nature) of them, but they are not case queens. I just enjoy the uniqueness of them. Everything I've bought gets played Certainly did not purchase them as investments.

Cheers,
Dan

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:21 am

AnthroTony wrote: .... and then for not too much more money I might even get lucky enough to find a late '90s or early 2000s USA guitar.

Your right, or even an early 90's with a little mojo...too bad this one isn't across the pond:

https://reverb.com/item/31898661-g-l-as ... 91-natural

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:55 am

@WitSok I think that you are probably right, with the exception of a much larger hollow-body such as an ES-335 compared to a Les Paul. My main reason for wanting an f-hole is that I like them, and given that I'm possibly going to part with my 335, it would be nice to have at least one f-hole guitar around. That said, I would possibly appreciate the slightly lower weight of a thinline style guitar (recent back injury). But also, if I'm really honest with myself, i must admit that whereas I really like the look of the thinline Teles, the f-hole on the G&L hollowbodies is not quite, right. Perhaps it's the position of the shape, but it doesn't look as nice.

@Elwood this is the real dilemma I guess. I bought most of my music equipment during the 25 years I lived in the USA, but for family reasons moved back to Europe in 2001. It's at times like this that I realise how much I appreciated the more competitive pricing (often) in the US!

As I said in my original post, I could feasibly mod a more accessible G&L guitar like the Bluesboy Tribute, but I'm beginning to wonder if it would just be better to get a custom-routed Wamoth body and neck, add some G&L jumbo pickups and the appropriate hardware, and have a really nice G&L-ocaster. I guess I could do that for around $1600 or so, add say 25% for shipping, taxes, and import duties and end up with a $2000 build. Starting to get pretty darned close to a USA made G&L! Aaagh. No easy solution here.

If I could actually try a Tribute Special locally I'd feel better about just taking a compromise decision. The Surf Green ASAT special here is about US$550 plus a decent case. It is probably not as refined as a USA model but might it be just good enough with some minor setup work? Perhaps.