G&L 40th Anniversary Collection is now available ...

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:53 pm

The new G&L 40th Anniversary Collection S-500 and SB-1 are now shipping. 40 years marks the ruby anniversary,
so these gorgeous instruments feature a Clear Ruby Red finish over their okoume bodies, while pearl pickguards add some
cool elegance to the look. For a touch of vintage G&L styling, each comes equipped with the early style @clfresearch headstock
and is available with either maple or Caribbean rosewood fingerboard and smooth satin neck finish.
Made in the historic CLF Research factory on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California.

Also see this on G&L's main website: 40TH ANNIVERSARY S-500
Also see this on G&L's main website: 40TH ANNIVERSARY SB-1

Re: G&L 40th Anniversary Collection is now available ...

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:28 am

No ASATS? :(

edg

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:53 am

guitar_ed wrote:No ASATS? :(

edg

Nope, not this time.
Perhaps with the 45th or 50th Anniversary Collection.
They were covered in the 30th and 35th Anniversary Collection though, see: List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Hey Ed,

My thought too, we will have to wait..... ;)

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:52 am

love the old school headstocks. I wish they would make that an option order choice.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:21 am

neutralomen wrote:love the old school headstocks. I wish they would make that an option order choice.

100% . I realize the hook/teat is distinct and a piece of G&L’s identity - but the old style just looks much better IMO, and some people aren’t into the hook. Best thing about these apart from just being G&Ls :)

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:02 am

I like the hook, but these old SC style headstocks are really looking sweet. The F-100 hookless design always looked overly large to me, but these SC proportioned one are darn near sexy!

Cheers, Dan

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:57 pm

The best looking 'hooks' to me are the G200 / S500 , and ASATs - the ASAT hook actually looks better than a 'regular' Telecaster in my eyes :)

I'm least fond of the Legacy; I don't think it looks *bad* , I just think the point at the bottom copies the Strat a little closely:

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:40 pm

What is a T-400?

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:10 pm

drjho7 wrote:What is a T-400?

See in the guitarsbyleo.com Gallery>Instruments>G&L Prototypes>T-400 Album: T-400.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:18 pm

I see at least one left the factory, (Leon Rhodes must have swapped out the guts :searching: )

https://cartervintage.com/products/g-l- ... es-ii-1987

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Elwood wrote:

I see at least one left the factory, (Leon Rhodes must have swapped out the guts :searching: )

Leon Rhodes' "Blondie" is more of a modded ASAT III with a swapped out neck. That neck happens to have an T-400 decal on the headstock. But compare his with the pictures in Craig's link and you'd notice the differences.

- Jos

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:10 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Elwood wrote:

Leon Rhodes' "Blondie" is more of a modded ASAT III with a swapped out neck. That neck happens to have an T-400 decal on the headstock. But compare his with the pictures in Craig's link and you'd notice the differences.

- Jos

I suspected as much, thanks Jos for confirming that.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:30 pm

I think the hook looks good on an ASAT/tele headstock, but I really dislike it on an S-type headstock. I think they're *okay* on the big headstocks for the F-100/ASAT bass etc

Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 am

Thx, guys, for the education!

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:06 pm

those 40th anniversary models look great!!