2000 Legacy Tone controls....

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:15 am

Just picked up a 2000 Legacy and immediately noticed the first tone knob rolls off highs from the neck pickup (only) and the bottom tone knob does the same for the middle and bridge pickups as opposed to my '97 Legacy on which the first tone knob rolls off highs for all 3 pickups and the bottom tone knob rolls off bass for all 3 pickups.

I'm curious whether G&L made the change or if the 2000's wiring/controls have been modded?

Re: 2000 Legacy Tone controls....

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:51 am

zandurian wrote:Just picked up a 2000 Legacy and immediately noticed the first tone knob rolls off highs from the neck pickup (only) and the bottom tone knob does the same for the middle and bridge pickups as opposed to my '97 Legacy on which the first tone knob rolls off highs for all 3 pickups and the bottom tone knob rolls off bass for all 3 pickups.

I'm curious whether G&L made the change or if the 2000's wiring/controls have been modded?

First let's id your 2000 Legacy guitar:

Is it a standard Legacy or a George Fullerton Signature model?
The serial number will help determine which one it is. See: Serial number significance.
See this post: Fullerton Signature model vs standard Legacy model.

G&L did not change the standard Legacy PTB wiring.
See these links to Legacy wiring diagrams in our G&L Gallery:
Album: Legacy Diagrams
Album: 1992-present Legacy PTB Controls

Hope this helps.

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:07 pm

[
Craig wrote:Hope this helps.

It does, thanks for your response. The serial # is CLF18225 and the registry calls it simply a "Legacy' with a glossy gun oil tinted #1 V neck. Pickups look to be stock (and they sound like the ones on the '97 with the tone controls disengaged).

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:23 pm

did you buy it used?

a previous owner may have tried to convert it to standard Fender ( or George Fullerton ) wiring & made a mistake