Tremolo Arm Replacement?

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Greetings folks. I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere. I recently acquired a Legacy Tribute. Absolutely wonderful guitar, by the way! Anyhoo, it came without the set screw to hold the tremolo arm in place. So, I'll be ordering some replacements. Upon a close look at the trem arm, the end that gets pushed in appears to be a bit scored and chewed up, as though a previous owner allowed his irate pet badger to gnaw on it. Would the set screws still be able to hold it firmly in place, or would it just be best to purchase a replacement arm?

Thanks,
Anthony

Re: Tremolo Arm Replacement?

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm

ajb625 wrote:Greetings folks. I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere. I recently acquired a Legacy Tribute. Absolutely wonderful guitar, by the way! Anyhoo, it came without the set screw to hold the tremolo arm in place. So, I'll be ordering some replacements. Upon a close look at the trem arm, the end that gets pushed in appears to be a bit scored and chewed up, as though a previous owner allowed his irate pet badger to gnaw on it. Would the set screws still be able to hold it firmly in place, or would it just be best to purchase a replacement arm?

Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony,

I think you will still be OK. The set of screws you ordered also come with nylon bushings. The idea is for the set screw to push the bushing against the trem arm. The reason the arm is scuffed is likely that the bushing had fallen out at some point (or was always missing) and the set screw was directly pushing against the arm. You could clean the arm up a bit by making sure all burrs are filed/sanded off.

- Jos

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Ok. I actually still need to order the screws. Thank You so very much for the input to help this G&L newbie!!!

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 pm

ajb625 wrote:Ok. I actually still need to order the screws. Thank You so very much for the input to help this G&L newbie!!!

G&L's On-Line Store has the parts you need:
TREM ARM/SADDLE LOCK BRIDGE TENSION SCREW SET
And if you decide you need to replace the scored tremolo arm, see: VIBRATO ARM - G&L DUAL FULCRUM (CURRENT USA AND ALL TRIBUTE SERIES)

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm

Thank you for the quick links to the screw set. My order is placed. Soon, I'll have the tremolo securely in place to add one more effect to my lack of skills!

Anthony