Searching for a new guitar (various questions)

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Hello,

I'm looking into getting a new G&L electric guitar.

I have narrowed my search to the following choices: Deluxe Comanche, CLF Espada and CLF Doheny V12

Questions:

1. How good is the quality control for the above mentioned guitars (issues with frets, nut, buzzing, electronics, etc.)?
2. If there are quality control issues with a new guitar, could I take the new guitar to G&L (Fullerton) to get the issues resolved? (I live about 1 hour away from the factory in Southern California)
3. Will G&L setup a guitar as part of the process of producing it?
4. Can I pick a particular guitar that I like the grain pattern on (based on images that I presume would need to be provided somehow (email perhaps) by G&L)
5. How do the above mentioned guitars compare with respect to hum canceling abilities? Does the Doheny still work to reduce hum in single coil mode?
6. Are there any differences in tone between the Z-Coils in the Espada vs. The Comanche Deluxe?
7. I love the sound of the Comanche (smooth and a little dark); however, I'm afraid that the guitar may be a bit limited when looking for sharper (but not harsh) high frequency stratocaster like tones. Can either the Espada or Doheny cover the Comanche tones and in addition provide other higher frequency / sharper tones as well?
8. Can Rechargeable lithium Ion 9 volt batteries be used in the Espada?

thanks very much,
Jon M.

Re: Searching for a new guitar (various questions)

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:17 pm

howdy and welcome. i can't answer most of your questions, but i will say a couple things about the comanche.
I do not consider it a "dark" guitar. It can be shrill or very bright depending on your amp settings and your guitar PTB settings. I always roll-off some of the treble, particularly when using the bridge p'up, just cause i think that sounds better. I do get some strat tones out of it at lower volumes, at home, but when playing at performance levels, it does not sound much like a strat, nor do i want it to. I keep a strat handy for strat tones.
It overdrives a good tube amp very well, and gives me the kind of rock tones i'm looking for in a band setting without getting muddy like humbuckers.
It cuts through our mix for lead or rhythm stuff, and its presence is just right, IMO. The neck p'up definitely has more meat than that of a strat and the bridge/neck option with the expander switch is essential for some rhythm parts. 4 years into it, it's still my #1 for rock performance. Sign me up as a fan of the z-coils on this guitar. Very versatile.

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 pm

1. How good is the quality control for the above mentioned guitars (issues with frets, nut, buzzing, electronics, etc.)? I have two made to order guitars and I have had no quality issues with either of them. I'd actually expect no difference in quality between Fullerton Standard, Fullerton Deluxe, and Option Order. Basically the Standard and Deluxe were introduce recently to help standardize the build specs to improve manufacturing efficiencies to help reduce the price point. Both are made from the same components in the Option Order. IIRC the Deluxe comes with hard case and Standard with a gig bag. Also Deluxe tend to go with the premium level finishes instead of standard finishes. If you have some specific combination of specs you like you maybe surprised that Option Order isn't that much more (not to be confused with custom shop).
2. If there are quality control issues with a new guitar, could I take the new guitar to G&L (Fullerton) to get the issues resolved? (I live about 1 hour away from the factory in Southern California) Standard procedure is to go through the selling dealer for warranty repairs.
3. Will G&L setup a guitar as part of the process of producing it? Fullerton made instruments are Plex'd. Neither of mine needed must adjustment. My experience with Tribute (import) line is they require setup. But this seems the case with all brands lower cost import lines. Tributes overall are very nice guitars. There is a Tribute Comanche and it has the very same Z-Coils as the USA made Comanches.
4. Can I pick a particular guitar that I like the grain pattern on (based on images that I presume would need to be provided somehow (email perhaps) by G&L) Not sure. My guess is no on the models you are looking at. Would probably need to be either Option Order or Custom Shop. Deluxe and Standards are set specs built in batches.
5. How do the above mentioned guitars compare with respect to hum canceling abilities? Does the Doheny still work to reduce hum in single coil mode? All three are hum cancelling. In split mode they will have 60 Hz hum. Can't defeat physics. MFDs are hotter than traditional Alnico pickups, so for the same output you can roll back the volume. I find with volume rolled back they are quieter than typical Alnico single pickups. The Comanche you are looking at cannot split coils so it is always hum cancelling. Espada is pretty new, and very intriguing - more switching possibilities. I believe some of the switching options on the Espada are not noiseless (though not 100% sure).
6. Are there any differences in tone between the Z-Coils in the Espada vs. The Comanche Deluxe? Yes, Espada is a new pickup with different dimensions and windings. Could be even more differences. I haven't had a chance to see an Espada in person so cannot comment too much on tone differences.
7. I love the sound of the Comanche (smooth and a little dark); however, I'm afraid that the guitar may be a bit limited when looking for sharper (but not harsh) high frequency stratocaster like tones. Can either the Espada or Doheny cover the Comanche tones and in addition provide other higher frequency / sharper tones as well? Comanche will have high frequencies. But they can be dialed out with PTB system and adjusting the amp. The link I provided before should help. The pickups are the same, the Deluxe doesn't have different Z-Coils to the previous Option Order Comanche (understand that most g&L of the last decade were essentially all Option Order instruments).
8. Can Rechargeable lithium Ion 9 volt batteries be used in the Espada? Don't know.
Last edited by WitSok on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks for the information (WitSok and drjho7)

I have decided to go with the Comanche Deluxe (natural finish)

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Great choice! I'll second the replies you received above. The Comanche can be as bright or as dark as you want. The seven pickup combinations make it so versatile: you get all five S-type tone positions that are richer with more harmonic content. You can decrease the volume and thus reduce output to approach a more typical S pickup sound. The neck+bridge combo gives an ASAT/T-style flavor, or even a Gibson-style two-pickup sound (especially if you boost mids on your amp). Rock, blues, country, jazz ... super versatile.

I'll add that the Doheny V12 is similar in that it is highly flexible like the Comanche, but sounds fairly different. Especially in single coil modes, it's closer to a T-type guitar. (I'd love to hear the three-pickup version seen recently on the CLF board, built for Danny Kotchmar. If it has coil splits, I'd like to hear how close to an S-style it gets.)

Let us know when you get the Comanche!!