Side Dot: Style Change

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:34 am

One thing I like to nerd out about is side dots; does anyone know when G&L changed the dots from black/‘under’ the rosewood (ex. 70s Fenders) to the half-on-Rosewood pearl dots (like pre/early-CBS Fender?) A quick google seems to show early four bolt guitars still have black dots, when was pearloid phased-in?

Also- is it correct that all pre-BBE instruments had black dots under the fretboard, except the later (color-matched neck) SC3 ?

Re: Side Dot: Style Change

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:00 am

Danley wrote:One thing I like to nerd out about is side dots; does anyone know when G&L changed the dots from black/‘under’ the rosewood (ex. 70s Fenders) to the half-on-Rosewood pearl dots (like pre/early-CBS Fender?) A quick google seems to show early four bolt guitars still have black dots, when was pearloid phased-in?

Also- is it correct that all pre-BBE instruments had black dots under the fretboard, except the later (color-matched neck) SC3 ?

See this post for some details on this: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=18039#p18039.

Hope this helps.

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:22 pm

the black dots were a cost saving measure. they were both easier to install, as well as u universal. you could make a 2 piece maple neck or maple and rosewood neck and that would simplify the manufacturing and reduce cost.

downside? doesn't look nearly as good imo. half on half off dots have a premium look to them imo.

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:41 am

Thanks Craig for the reply :) Yep, for Fender black dots were cost-savings in a few ways; it allowed Fender toward the end of the seventies to use *very* thin rosewood boards (I have a Bronco neck I should take a pic. of to demonstrate.)

The weird thing is that G&L continued to use the 'cheap' style from the earliest models and through the nineties. What you say about two-piece maple boards makes sense, but the early F100s in maple were one-piece/skunk stripe necks.

...Though bringing it back even further, while I prefer how the half-on-rosewood dots look you could even argue that they were a cost-saving measure, since they too did not require as thick a rosewood slab or veneer. Funny - half-on looks 'real' and a thicker (say Squier) fretboard with the dots fully in rosewood is a 'cheap' look IMO.