NGD again!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi all, I so enjoyed my recently acquired Comanche with a maple board I decided to take a chance on one with rosewood. If you watch eBay at all you’ve probably seen it. I’d been watching it come and go with no bids and finally decided to take a chance on it. I think folks were leery of buying it due to what the seller described as having had the bridge pickup scooted back at some point. This left the pickguard in a non-original condition. I hesitated on it as well, wondering what else might have been messed with... In addition, I wanted an all original one if possible. The reason I risked it was because I had a hunch it was an early one due to its early CL0 serial number and the fact that it sported a slotted trem cavity cover like my ‘96 Legacy has. Well, I made the leap and I’m glad I did. The neck and body are stamped within a day of each other, so I’ll say it’s birthday is December 2, 1997! It's in pretty good shape for a 22 year old guitar. The frets are in pretty good shape and as far as I can tell it's otherwise all original. I’m thinking it may be an ash body due to the grain pattern, but I’m so expert. What do you think? I’m still tweaking for my playing style and my climate (dry eastern Washington state), but I’m liking it so far! Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

PS: I have a new tortoise pickguard on its way from Chandler!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Re: NGD again!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Awesome; with the swimming pool route, I wouldn’t have hesitated to just buy it and grab a new pickguard as you have :)

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 pm

sweet sunburst comanche, they are such amazing guitars!

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 am

I will add to the chorus: sweet guitar, great find!

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Great find and love the 3 Z combo.

The “almost” matching date stamp is an added bonus. :thumbup:

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Nice Comanche. Does moving the pickup that small really make a noticeable difference? I sometimes wonder what some people are thinking, cause I don't believe you can hear a difference. Maybe it was in the way of someones picking/strumming style...

Tom

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 pm

FZTNT wrote:Maybe it was in the way of someones picking/strumming style...

Tom

That's what I assumed, but appears to be even more in-the-way :shock: They could have picked a much worse guitar to do it to, given it's not difficult to convert back- Though I try to be courteous and save original pickguards when I do similar things.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi all and thanks for the positive comments. I simply left it the way I received it and ordered a new pickguard. I’m guessing it didn’t give the previous owner the desired results since it was already put back when I got it. That or the seller did it. I did not get any back story with it. It is a really nice player and sounds good too. I’ll post an updated pic when the new pickguard arrives.

Ps: what do y’all think? Alder or ash?