Dual Fulcrum Vibrato on ASAT/Fallout

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:18 am

Hi,

Do you know if it's possible to install a Dual Fulcrum Vibrato on a G&L Fallout or an ASAT?

Thanks,

Miguel

Re: Dual Fulcrum Vibrato on ASAT/Fallout

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:31 am

Significant routing and alteration is required to install a DFV in place of the hardtail. That said, in the past G&L has made certain ASAT models with the DFV, and an SC2 with the vibrato isn’t uncommon which gets you most of the way toward a Fallout. Also- if you google ‘Fallout DFV,’ looks like people have ordered them custom.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:46 am

For new orders see: January 23, 2019-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

From the post on Guitar Bridge Substitutions/Options:
G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato substitute on guitars which come standard with G&L Saddle Lock bridge (except JC Signature)

Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Yeah any guitar with a Saddle-lock can be optioned with a DFV. Basically, if you see an ash tray, no DFV. If you see a Saddle lock, yes DFV.

My asat has DFV and I like it much better than saddle lock(because saddle lock is so tall that you sometimes have to shim the neck to get the right angle with low action).

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 pm

Just so you all know, although G&l may no longer do it today, they did have the option of an ASAT Classic with a DFV/LFV in the pre-BBE days:
ImageImage
So maybe you want to look into the more vintage G&Ls.

- Jos

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:31 am

That is WILD! It's their old double locking system and what looks to be an ash tray they just straight up sawed in half!

I wish more companies these days would be like "sure we can do that!" to wild requests.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:03 am

neutralomen wrote:That is WILD! It's their old double locking system and what looks to be an ash tray they just straight up sawed in half!

I wish more companies these days would be like "sure we can do that!" to wild requests.

The bridge on the guitar on the right is a bit better though out than you make it sound. The bridge plate of the ASAT Classic was customized by removing the back lip and removing the corners to provide space for the studs:

- Jos

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:32 pm

The vibrato bridge was only offered as an option on the ASAT Classic Signature model and only the Leo Fender Vibrato was listed in the Price list.
From the July 1, 1990 Price list:
Image.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Craig wrote:The vibrato bridge was only offered as an option on the ASAT Classic Signature model and only the Leo Fender Vibrato was listed in the Price list.
From the July 1, 1990 Price list:

This is somewhat incomplete data. With the (still incomplete?) price list collection I have, as far as vibrato units go this would be the relevant data:

ModelBridgeEarliest price listLatest price list
ASATKahler VibratoJune 1, 1986June 15, 1988
Dual Fulcrum VibratoJanuary 1, 1988January 15, 1991
Leo Fender VibratoSeptember 1, 1987January 15, 1991
ASAT IIIKahler VibratoSeptember 1, 1987June 15, 1988
Dual Fulcrum VibratoJanuary 1, 1988January 15, 1991
Leo Fender VibratoSeptember 1, 1987January 15, 1991
ASAT Classic SignatureLeo Fender VibratoJanuary 15, 1990January 15, 1991
BroadcasterKahler VibratoSeptember 1, 1985September 1, 1985

And on the current ASAT models one can still get a Bigsby of course.
- Jos