G&L design of tremolo arm

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:53 am

Hi,
there´s a recently thread "Tension Screw Set" of a forum´s member looking for "a nylon bushing on the screw that holds the tremolo bar"
and this made think about how funny the system is. Other tremolo bars are simply screwed into the bridge, without using any key.
I wonder why G&L opted for this idea with the bushing. Probably there are some advantages that I cannot figure out.
I´d like to know your opinions about the G&L design, whether it is somehow better, or simply different. Thanks !

Re: G&L design of tremolo arm

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:02 am

if I recall the wilkinson bridge does not screw in, it also uses a bushing and set screw. The only bridges I have seen that have threaded bars are the odd licensed floyd or strat style bridge. My OFR has an external collar and threads onto (not into) the bridge. I think the appeal to these systems is that if the threads are damaged, this is a much easier repair than an internal thread or whatnot. As long as the bar has no play, it makes little difference.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:14 pm

panchito wrote:Hi,
there´s a recently thread "Tension Screw Set" of a forum´s member looking for "a nylon bushing on the screw that holds the tremolo bar"
and this made think about how funny the system is. Other tremolo bars are simply screwed into the bridge, without using any key.
I wonder why G&L opted for this idea with the bushing. Probably there are some advantages that I cannot figure out.
I´d like to know your opinions about the G&L design, whether it is somehow better, or simply different. Thanks !

Leo considered it an improvement over the previous type. Here's the link to the Vibrato Assembly Patent D4671157 information on it located in our Gallery.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:06 am

The patent confirms what sirmyghin pointed out: it´s about avoiding the problem of a damaged thread. Thanks for you help !!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:36 am

I have one with the "Patent Pending" DFV. When properly set-up it's a dream. I've used it on stage and studio and have NEVER bent or dive-bombed it out of tune. Using the original two springs(the brass one is still in the case) too...

As for the bushing; I like it. The screw-in types don't always tighten where I want and that is frustrating.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 am

panchito wrote:Hi,
Other tremolo bars are simply screwed into the bridge, without using any key.

Just just push the arm into that hole, without loosing the screw and pull it out without touching the screw either. I think, it can't be more simple. :)

You just need a key for adjusting the strength the arm will be hold. So you can put it to your favored behavior, which might be "staying in position" or "dangling down". ;)

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:21 pm

That bushing was one of the things I liked about the G&L over Fender...I love being able to have the arm stay where I put it, as Replyman pointed out. I think it's a great design!

Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:37 pm

The DF Vibrato is clearly superior to the original Synchronized Tremelo. The bushing allows for quick intallation and removal of the arm and control of the side tension. There are all kinds of problems with the ST arms, and it is very difficult to control the side tension of the arm. And it's a total PITA when an arm snaps off!

Total no brainer.

Bill

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:04 am

You couldn't ask for a better system, just push in and you're there. First electric I ever owned was a Cavalier and in my niavete couldn't understand what people were whining about regarding vibrato arms causing you to go out of tune (I was only like 14 I think). Talk about spoiled!