Request for CactusJack

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:02 am

Live your quest thread.
Would you be willing to type up a how-to in regards to flipping guitars?
I am obsessed with finding a G&L strat, used, and I have no choice but to order online because of lack of local availability.
Congrats on the Comanche, I am looking at either that or an S-500. Love the switching and MFDs
Thanks,
Chris
Here's one I'm looking at https://reverb.com/item/24766468-2004-g ... case-candy

Re: Request for CactusJack

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 am

I'm not Cactus Jack :) But I'll give one piece of advise he can perhaps comment on: Although your goal is an S500/Comanche, you can't really be picky when you're looking for a deal. A couple years ago I was pretty heavy into flipping; I'd grab whatever I could that was priced where I thought I could sell it higher, or where the seller was motivated to accept my offers, and that process was helped by me not having a specific 'goal guitar' in mind while I was doing the flipping (although ultimately I was indirectly able to purchase one with the profits and ended my flipping adventure.) I wound up with Daisy Rocks, Orange Amps, and a number of other random things along the way instead of focusing just on Fender/G&L electrics.

So I'd start by looking at eBay auctions that are set to end without bids, for things you're knowledgeable of - overpriced items on Reverb that can be talked-down or things that have sat in stores for a while without being sold that you can make an offer on. One day your proceeds may go toward an S500 :)

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:35 am

that looks like a great deal on a really nice guitar as is. Perhaps you can get to go him a bit lower!

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:19 am

Happy to help. Mind you I'm no expert, just a guy who likes guitars.

As I mention in my Quest for Keepers thread buying and selling is a huge part of the hobby for me. I love trying new guitars, I love hunting down keepers, but I really have a passion for negotiations. Professionally I'm a CFO of a consulting firm so negotiating is what I do all day. The older I get the more it becomes my competitive outlet, and I love to win :) .

Comanches do drive a premium over other G&Ls but I personally wouldn't buy the one in the link. All in the guitar is $1,050. I'd say market value is $1,100. If you pay full asking price you're basically losing $90 and returning a -9% ROI. To breakeven on the guitar the most you could realistically buy it for $960 max. If you really wanted it I'd message the seller and offer $900 and go from there.

If I was in the market I'd probably make a run at this one: https://reverb.com/item/19239230-g-l-co ... stem-strat
That guitar has been listed for 4 months, has received zero offers, and has had a price drop. That's a near perfect scenario for a buyer. The price drop indicates the seller is motivated to move it, and with no offers, will most likely be actively engaged. I could see you snagging this guitar for under $900, and definitely under the $960 break even point. This guitar has the potential to make you money if you ever decide to flip it. I'd make a strong offer and see where it goes.

Here are a few thoughts on buying/selling guitars. In general I adhere to a few simple rules:

You absolutely need to know what you are looking at. What type of wood, neck radius, pickups, finishes, features, paper work, type of case, modifications etc. You absolutely need to know the average sale price. The list price is irrelevant. The only price that matters is what the market says the guitar is worth. Once you establish a market value you need to purchase the guitar under market value. When you sell you need to sell above market value. Selling is often way easier than most folks think. In my experience 99% of my sales come from taking better pictures than the competition. That's it. I'll often get a guitar, list it a few days later, and have it sold within 2 weeks just because I took decent pictures.

Math, not emotion, establishes both the buy and sell prices. For every guitar I buy I establish an individual ROI target. You need to accurately estimate what you can sell it for, subtract fees (Ebay/Reverb + PayPal = ~6.5%), subtract shipping (I always estimate $65) to arrive at an estimated net sale. Net sale less purchase price determines your profit. Profit divided by purchase price gives you a quick ROI. ROI needs to be >=0%. If it's not you lost.

Never say someones "No" for them. ALWAYS make an offer rather than assume a guitar is out of your price range. Now, the offer can't be some offensive lowball BS, but if you've done your research, assessed ROI, you will know what's reasonable. Simply ask. Start a dialog. Walk away if the numbers don't make sense. Again, this is math not emotions.

With time I've become fairly comfortable with the G&L market. I made some mistakes early and over paid for a few items, but my worst deal to this point has been break even. I have yet to lose a single dollar, which is something my competitive spirit will not allow :) . In my experience, I will rarely, if ever, pay more than $800-850 for a G&L. The ROI just isn't high enough to excite me if I go much higher. With that said, I have paid up to $1,200, but the math backed my decision.

Sorry for the long response, but I hope this helps.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Good point on pictures - it pays to have a good eye when looking at crappy phone pics, and also pays to list things in-focus, good resolution, and add a thorough description.