Headstock Joint?

Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

Hi there,

I've agreed to purchase a G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT 2018 Olympic White and pick it up tomorrow. I'm looking at the pictures again and I'm a little concerned...
Does this line look like the joint is separating or is the dark line just grain?

I'll certainly ask him before I make the drive to pick up, but wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!

Re: Headstock Joint?

Fri May 31, 2019 12:11 pm

tpe11etier wrote:Hi there,

I've agreed to purchase a G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT 2018 Olympic White and pick it up tomorrow. I'm looking at the pictures again and I'm a little concerned...
Does this line look like the joint is separating or is the dark line just grain?

I'll certainly ask him before I make the drive to pick up, but wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!

The headstock and neck are formed from one piece of neck blank; there is no joint for the headstock and neck. I think It is just the angle of the photo which gives this appearance.

I would not be concerned.

Hope this helps.

Fri May 31, 2019 12:16 pm

Craig wrote:
The headstock and neck are formed from one piece of neck blank; there is no joint for the headstock and neck. I think It is just the angle of the photo which gives this appearance.

I would not be concerned.

Hope this helps.

Awesome! That helps greatly.

Thanks so much.
Tony

Fri May 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Sure looks like a cracked neck to me. The dark line is right where the wood would separate with a hard fall on the headstock. If so, it wouldn't take much to fix it, but price it accordingly.

Fri May 31, 2019 10:00 pm

Looks like a crack to me too. Let us know what you find out.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:00 am

I think that is just wood grain - especially given the color of the figuring elsewhere on the headstock. As mentioned already G&L, like Fender necks before them, are carved out of a single stick of hard wood (typically maple). They are not like a Gibson, for example, which achieves the angle after the nut by gluing a separate piece to the neck. Guitars designed by Leo, achieve the angle by removing wood from atop what eventually becomes the headstock.

I would be very surprised if that was anything other than wood grain.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 am

Thanks everyone. I purchased the guitar and it is in fact wood grain. The guitar is in mint condition and I love it.

Thanks again.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:19 am

I totally want to see the rest of that guitar now!

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:47 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:I totally want to see the rest of that guitar now!

Haha... Here you go! It's Olympic White but hardly looks white... seems to change colors based on it's surroundings.

(Sorry to include the PRS. :))

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Nice, love the vintage white finish!

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:10 am

tpe11etier wrote:
Haha... Here you go! It's Olympic White but hardly looks white... seems to change colors based on it's surroundings.

(Sorry to include the PRS. :))

That is a very nice looking ASAT!

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Great looking guitar. Glad it worked out just being the wood grain.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:57 pm

wow that gt rlooks fantastic!

glad it worked out: sure looked like a crack to me, in the original pic