ASAT Classic question

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm looking into buying a used ASAT Classic. It looks like a fine instrument, supposedly fairly old (1990's, I think). The seller says it is "pre-BBE", whatever that means. Can anyone tell me some things to look for to verify what I'm looking at? For example, there are a whole bunch of ASATs. Could it be another model? I have a serial number...0045132. I think that first 0 might be a G.

Overall, how would this guitar compare to a Mexican Tele? I could get a new one for about the price of this guitar, though the used one comes with a case.

Re: ASAT Classic question

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 pm

First of all, the ASAT will be a far, far, far superior instrument to the Mexican tele. The ASATs made in the '90s are fantastic. They were mostly hand built and from very high quality timbers. One thing to make sure of is that it is not a tribute model - it will say "Tribute" on the headstock if it is. The serial number sounds about right for a '90s instrument.

To help you identify the guitar as an ASAT Classic you should look for a standard telecaster type bridge, not G&L saddle lock bridge. The pickups will be regular sized. It should also say ASAT Classic in the headstock. If it says just "ASAT" or "ASAT Deluxe" you're looking at something different. Check out the G&L website for more info on this particular model.

Pre-BBE refers to a time before BBE sound purchased G&L, thats all. The instruments they make now (under BBE) are still very, very high quality professional instruments. It may add to collectable status but that is all. I don't think they are much different to the ones made today.

As always you should try and play it before you buy it just to be sure that it hasn't been mistreated.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm

I agree with blargfromouterspace on most of what he said. BBE-era G&L's are still great guitars. However, from a collectible standpoint, guitars made when Leo was alive hold a bit more appeal. There are differences, but they are fairly subtle. While serial numbers for G&L are not perfect indications of age, there are certain numbers that would almost certainly fall into BBE vs. pre-BBE guitars. The serial number you posted would seem to indicate a later nineties guitar. Leo died in the near earliest of nineties, '91. Therefore the seller is almost certainly wrong about the guitar being pre-BBE. An earlier post by a resident expert, mentioned that #G0300015 (I believe that was the number) was the highest number that left the factory prior to Dale Hyatt (G&L Executive who'd been with George and Leo from the early years.) leaving the company, which as after Leo passed away. 99.9% certainty that the guitar is not from the "Leo era" of G&L. Good luck.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:27 am

Thanks for the tips. I don't really care how old it is, I guess. I'm gonna play it, not hang it on the wall. It is definitely a Classic, I can see the headstock in the pictures, and I'll be playing it for certain before I buy it.

I have one more question, about pickups. He's replaced the stock pickups with some pickups he found from a company called Harmonic Design. Are the G&L Pickups less "Tele" like than I might be looking for? That's what I've heard, anyway. I'm really looking for a straight-up tele.

He is including the originals, so I can put those back in if I want.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:53 am

Since I have never had a Telecaster, and really haven't compared them side by side, I can't comment on the pickup change. What I do know is that Leo designed the Classic to be more like the Fender Telecaster than the ASAT and ASAT Specials were/are. Some players say it's better than a Tele, some say it's doesn't have the same "twang", etc. I suppose if it sounds like something you'd like to play for a while, with the changed pickups, do it. If not, you should be able to find a shop somewhere where you could try one out with the stock pickups in it to see if you'd go that way. If you don't live close to a shop that has G&L's, move. All kidding aside, good luck.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:13 am

GCallaghan wrote:Thanks for the tips. I don't really care how old it is, I guess. I'm gonna play it, not hang it on the wall. It is definitely a Classic, I can see the headstock in the pictures, and I'll be playing it for certain before I buy it.

I have one more question, about pickups. He's replaced the stock pickups with some pickups he found from a company called Harmonic Design. Are the G&L Pickups less "Tele" like than I might be looking for? That's what I've heard, anyway. I'm really looking for a straight-up tele.

He is including the originals, so I can put those back in if I want.

If you don't like the current pickups in the guitar, you can easily change them.
The fact that it comes with the original MFD pickups is a plus. You might try the MFDs to see
if you like them. If not, drop some other pickups in. Should ever decide
to sell it, you can put it back to it's original factory state. If the price is right for you and
you like the feel of the instrument, I say go for it.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:04 am

I don't know if anyone cares, but I bought it and I love it. I'm keeping the new pickups, too...they sound great. I couldn't be happier with this guitar.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:35 am

GCallaghan wrote:I don't know if anyone cares, but I bought it and I love it. I'm keeping the new pickups, too...they sound great. I couldn't be happier with this guitar.

:thumbup:

Now you just need to post a picture and add the guitar to our G&L Registry (the serial number is G045132).
:sign0011:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 pm

Nice to hear you enjoyed the ASAT! They are great guitars, a joy to play.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:24 am

You seem to have scored a good deal. Not only have you got two pair of pick-ups, but you also got boutique ones wiht great reputation. Just so you could check if you didn't know them (but I guess you already made your enquiry): http://www.harmonicdesign.net/