On the Hunt

Mon May 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Inspired by @CactusJack (but not done with his flair for the written word, photo skills and entertainment value.)

50....been playing since I was 16. Switched to bass 10+ years so I could play at church and my jam_crew made me the bass player. Hated it at first but I've really come to love playing bass. Started going to a larger church and my bass rotation is once or twice a month. I signed up for the guitar rotation so I could get more time in. I still play guitar at home 80% of the time. Mainly my '87 PRS CU 24.

I decided I wanted a strat and I wanted a G&L. used.guitar.com does not have the greatest prices and you are buying sight-unseen but for $20 you can try out a guitar for 45 days and return it with no questions asked. I'm in Northern VA and there are not many G&Ls around. I do not want to do the buy / sell thing. I hate the idea of selling a guitar that I don't like, even if I'm just flipping it.

SF Princeton Reverb with allenamps.com blackface mods, Boss digital delay, Maxon OD 820 Pro Overdrive (sweeeeeet) and a RGW Bad Bob Booster (possibly the best pedal ever)

#1 Image

2018 'used' Legacy that had zero signs of wear. *immediately* blown away by the fit and finish of this guitar. I love the T/B controls but they do require some thought. Previously I was playing a MIM Strat and it has built in Classic Rock Tones and it's not *easy* to dial in tones, you just *realize* that whatever combo you've dialed in is Blackmore, Clapton, Knopfler or whatever....The Legacy does not have that. IMO it's more like a muscle car that has enough HP to destroy the car, but if you actually know how to use it you'll have more than enough to do what you want.
12" radius and I'd say a medium C. I have never played a guitar with such a flat neck and was amazed at how easy chords fretted. Super nice high quality guitar.
Ultimately, (I am told) the nut was cut wrong and the high E slid off the neck wayyyyy too easily. It was ridiculously easy to pull the high E off and I would have had to completely rework my technique. Back it went...beautiful guitar that went up on the used wall at GC and was gone before #2 came in.

#2 Image

Amazing pic, I know
Another sight unseen guitar. It's a 2005 S-500 with 9.5" radius, rolled edges and THE neck for me. It does have a neck issue so I am trying to figure out if I can live with it. I tweaked the truss rod but cannot get rid of the hump. I have a feeling a tech can so I need to go visit my guy. I've had this guitar for a month or so now and it has really grown on me. Fit and finish is excellent. It has a ridiculous amount of usable tones. The MFD p/ups are ridiculously powerful and, once again, the T/B/Vol set up works so well with it. I am kind of a OD guy but I played this guitar clean only for about 3 weeks. It's so sweet. The switch for all 3 p/ups or the tele combo is great. I had already told myself that if got a Legacy I would be adding a switch.
I am basically sold on this guitar. Here are some more horrible pics to show the neck.

That hump at the 13th or so fret is problematic. If I could find another S-500 with a similar, non-humped, neck I would dump this one in a heart beat, but for all the G&Ls on used.GC, the S-500s are rare.
However, even with the crap action I have been playing this guitar a ton and can get around on it just fine. The limit is when you I want speed. I can do it, but it's not like the Legacy. That guitar had beautiful action.

I ordered another Legacy while I was playing with the S-500. More thoughts on that later.

Re: On the Hunt

Tue May 28, 2019 6:52 pm

Those guitars are awesome! Nice finds.

Personally, if you're not 100% into the S-500 and don't plan to invest the money for a full setup I'd return it. S-500s are rare on GC, but they come up often enough that I'm confident you could find a keeper. Nothing worse than compromising with an instrument, especially the neck. For me the neck has to be dialed or else I can never bond with the guitar.

Also, don't hesitate to check out Ebay and Reverb. They are both excellent places to find great G&L's. The best part is you can negotiate great prices where as GC rarely discounts their used gear. The prices are so good you should have no problem flipping them for a profit if you decide not to keep them. That's what I do and profit has covered the majority of my keepers.

Tue May 28, 2019 10:01 pm

All I'll say is a good luthier can do magic - I've saved a few necks by taking them to the right people. Good analogy on the 'too much horsepower' part of G&L; I think I realized G&L was my sound when I quit caring about sounding like other people. In my teens I 'needed' to sound like Frusciante, so I gravitated toward Fenders. Later on it became something more like finding the guitar that strips the most impediments from my playing (as I sometimes impede myself enough :D )

Wed May 29, 2019 5:56 am

@Danley

YES! That is what I'm looking for. I've played 2 guitars in my life that removed a ton of noise between the source of inspiration (brain/soul/consciousness/whatever) and the speaker. 1 was a LP that a friend of mine had briefly. A friend of his was building guitars and making my bud a LP and in the meantime was letting my friend borrow his son's 'homemade' LP. It had some unidentifiable quality that made it amazing. My bud's LP that got delivered (made by the same guy) did not have that quality.
2nd one was this bizarre Ibanez that looked like i was designed after those funky 9 switch teisco del rey's. It was the most bizarre guitar and I didn't even think about buying it but me and a bud passed that guitar back and forth @ GC for an hour. It was so bizarre that we both left without it, but we both remember the guitar and kick ourselves for not buying it.

The S-500 is not like either guitar....but it is such an amazing guitar I want to keep it. I'm sure I'll drop a $100 on the neck and I've already spent a $1000 on it. IDK. Need to make a decision quickly.

Wed May 29, 2019 6:28 am

For $1,000 I’d return it. You can find nice, or nicer, S-500s for way cheaper. If you put $1,100 into it you’ve practically guaranteed yourself a loss if you decide to flip it. The good thing is you now know you like S-500s, that’s big. Now I’d wait for the right one to pop up and I personally wouldn’t spend more than $850 on a pristine example with case and paper work. You’ll be surprised but they are more common than you think.

Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Bro...I have been looking. Where are you seeing these S-500s?

Thu May 30, 2019 3:32 pm

They show up frequently on Reverb and Ebay, both used and new. I bought mine new at a very good price from Wolfe Guitars in Florida. They shipped it to me.

Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm

There is a RMC Flame Maple Top on Reverb right now. With minimal effort I guarantee you could land it for closer to $800 than $1,000. Seriously, often times all you have to do is ask.

Fri May 31, 2019 4:09 am

The neck on the S500 has way too much bow in it, which is contributing to the high action. Looks borderline unplayable to me. Have you tightened the truss rod? That should straighten the neck out. Once that’s done a couple of adjustments at the bridge and you’re there.

Fri May 31, 2019 6:55 am

The neck on the S500 has way too much bow in it, which is contributing to the high action. Looks borderline unplayable to me. Have you tightened the truss rod? That should straighten the neck out. Once that’s done a couple of adjustments at the bridge and you’re there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes I did. 3 1/4 turns over the course of a couple weeks. It definitely moved but, as you can see, not enough.
I have not returned it because it is an amazing guitar regardless. The neck on it is perfect for me. The bow is just bad news though and I should really return it.
I actually have no problem playing whatever I want on it, but it's not right.

Fri May 31, 2019 7:47 am

CactusJack
Teach me thine ways
https://reverb.com/item/15967639-g-l-s- ... lack-burst

can you email me please? bizaddy :D outlook . com

Fri May 31, 2019 8:42 am

i'd return that one.
there are plenty of great ones out there. that s-500 special looks nice.
would verify good neck/truss rod fx/string alignment from seller prior to purchase.

Fri May 31, 2019 8:54 am

ChrisPbass wrote:CactusJack
Teach me thine ways

can you email me please? bizaddy :D outlook . com

I checked to see if this was registered in our G&L Registry and was not found.
So, I added it and noticed some errors in the Reverb listing:

-The model is an S-500 Deluxe, listed as S-500.
-Body finish is Tobacco Sunbust over Flame Maple top on Basswood body not Black Burst as listed.
-has Rosewood fretboard not Maple as listed.
-The neck is listed as Plek dressed, but it would not have been done at the factory because the Plek machine
was not added until late 2005. It could have been done aftermarket, though.
-G&L changed to a side output jack in 2005, so this would have been build between 2001 and mid-2005.

Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 am

Thank you Craig....appreciate that.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:33 am

#3 2018 Legacy is going back.
Neck is too big...but the biggest problem is that using the whammy knocks the guitar out of tune radically. I've never played a guitar that just freaked out when you touched the bar. I think the nut is cut badly and there is major binding going. I don't see what else could contribute to this happening because it stays in tune fairly well otherwise.
I thought all new G&Ls had locking tuners, this one does not. I also thought that new Legacies had a push/pull pot as an expander switch. That should be on ALL g&l str*ts.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:44 am

ChrisPbass wrote:#3 2018 Legacy is going back.
Neck is too big...but the biggest problem is that using the whammy knocks the guitar out of tune radically. I've never played a guitar that just freaked out when you touched the bar. I think the nut is cut badly and there is major binding going. I don't see what else could contribute to this happening because it stays in tune fairly well otherwise.
I thought all new G&Ls had locking tuners, this one does not. I also thought that new Legacies had a push/pull pot as an expander switch. That should be on ALL g&l str*ts.

In the photo above, it looks like the bridge is not setup correctly. The bridge plate needs to be parallel with the body, see: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

No, not all G&L's have locking tuners, see the various G&L U.S. Specifications & Options posts in
the G&L Specifications and Options sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase forum.

Only the Custom Creations Legacy Spalted Maple Special Build got the expander push/pull pot.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: clarified which Legacy model got the pickup expander.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:15 am

My guess for the bridge/tuning issues is the bridge has been abused and the knife edges are no longer sharp - could be someone turned them under string pressure or just abused them. This can actually be repaired (filed, within limits,) or G&L could sell you a new DFV. I'm sure the reason for the poor setup bridge is because the retailer quickly swapped whatever gauge of string they had on it and didn't compensate.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:20 am

IDK. It's got on 10s on it and it is basically brand new. I got it from guitar center used and it's going back.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:49 am

Annnnddddd the S-500 is gone.
Back to the hunt. ALL guitar necks seems to be big and bulky and the one on the S-500 was just right.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:28 am

ChrisPbass wrote:Annnnddddd the S-500 is gone.
Back to the hunt. ALL guitar necks seems to be big and bulky and the one on the S-500 was just right.

I had a chance to play (of all things) an MIJ Jackson Dinky that to me had the *perfect* neck - wide, slim as a sheet of paper, and flat back. One of the first things I realized when I picked up a guitar is I don't like thick necks. Fifteen or so years later, I can deal with them but still have my preference/orientation away from them - I'm surprised at the prevalence fat/thick necks attained, even MIM Fender Strats seem to have huge baseball bats relative to what they were, IMO.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:05 am

I dig...the most transparent/magical guitar ive played had a big neck but playing that S500 I just returned made me realize that I like slim necks. Unfortunately, big necks seem to be en vogue.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 am

Ask 800 w/shipping? It's been there a while.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Well...I offered $850 incl. shipping and they want $1200...so :happy0065:

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:45 pm

A blonde hard tail S-500 is on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/25282719-g-l-s-500-cream. Might be worth a shot.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Thats nice....it needs a pickguard change for sure
I'd like a tremolo but thanks for looking out for me

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 am

Here, is a blond S-500. No affiliation...

https://reverb.com/item/22522192-g-l-s- ... rent-cream

I've also seen a few Legacies in blond currently listed.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 am

Really like that; bluish blonde (unless it’s just the white balance screwing with the tone.)

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 am

Danley wrote:Really like that; bluish blonde (unless it’s just the white balance screwing with the tone.)

The G&L Paint department may have recently changed the Blonde formula, see: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15874.
When this was posted on their Facebook page I asked a couple of contacts if this is what Blonde will now look like but
have yet to hear back.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am

@WitSok - thx for the heads up. i'll take a look. Looks blue-ish to me

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:27 am

Long story short, have not bought a 'final' guitar on this hunt so I bought a used S-500 tribute off Reverb. (side note - :shock: WOW I have spent a lot of time on that app since finding it!)

This is my 5th G&L. This trib and one of the legacies share a high tension E string. The Legacy was a 2018 and, just like this trib, had what felt like 2 B strings. Very strange and very obvious.
Is this a relief issue? The neck on this trib looks fine to me.

Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:20 am

Since last post I have spebt approx 4,000 hours on Reverb, TGP etc...looking for THE strat. I just can't make it to the local shops and no one has G&L which I've been pretty set. I almost bought a Ron Kirn but the dude ignored our chat deal and after we'd agreed someone clicked buy and its now history. In the meantime I bought a used S-500 trib. Its very nice, nowhere as sweet as the USA S-500 mentioned above, but it is not the One. It has the weird high tension E string which ive only experienced on I,e other guitar, a new Legacy. But......its nice.
So! Long story short. I have 3 brand new G&Ls on a truck arriving today. Plan is to keep 1 and return 2 ... Or something like that.
1 I bought for the looks...Legacy white on white (Mary Kay-ish see through finish) with a maple neck. Beauty......
1 is a Legacy Embress 6.6lbs with HSS and RW board
And a 7.3 lb S-500.
I told my wife that I don't know what you're doing tonight, but I know what I'm doing :)
Could NOT decide so I got a good deal and good shipping/return policy,and figured 1 of these G&Ls has got to be a keeper.
I shall return ~ ~ ~

Here they are. Copy paste from text so don't know if they'll link
Gotta get some work done before they arrive.

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/g-l-fuller ... londe.html

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/g-l-guitar ... burst.html

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/g-l-usa-le ... black.html
Last edited by Craig on Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin checked and verified links to be safe.

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:13 am

The S-500 needs some help
Symptom: almost no treble in any position that includes the bridge p/up
Any thoughts on what to look for?

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:45 pm

ChrisPbass wrote:The S-500 needs some help
Symptom: almost no treble in any position that includes the bridge p/up
Any thoughts on what to look for?

Assuming you've tried turning the knobs then I suspect a faulty pot.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:22 am

:happy0007:

O N L Y settings linked to the bridge pup are affected
5 4 3 are fine. 2 1 are not. Any expander setting is not working correctly as It is associated with the bridge pup
Realy dont think I'm going to pull the guard but if I do I want to know what to look for
The guitar is Supposed to be new but it had pick swirls etc...supposed to be se
Supposed to be set up by retailer so maybe it took a hard bump. Everything including the box is fine,

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:26 pm

It's been a while...

If you've read the thread...
I sold the Indo S-500 to a friend. I set it up for him, with 9s, and this guitar is KILLER. I would not hesitate to play it anywhere. Just a great guitar for any price but for $350 plus shipping.... :shock:

I kept the 6.6lb empress Legacy and have been playing the tar out of it. Super nice guitar, playing and tonewise. It does not have a ton of bottom end, due to the empress I guess, but it has more than enough.

I sold the Indo S-500 because I found a late 90's S-500, on this forum, that is awesome... Has a wonderful neck, refretted with SS.... so nice. Such a powerful machine.
Last edited by Craig on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin fixed inline photo post