Clear neck darkening over time

Sat May 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi G&L enthusiasts,
I'm about to order a custom G&L with cherryburst finish and a satin maple neck. I find the clear satin finish too "white" but I wouldn't mind waiting two or three years for it to darken somewhat. However, I read somewhere on the internet that polyurethane necks won't darken at all (https://www.quora.com/Will-a-maple-neck ... k-for-if-I).

Could people share their experience with the urethane finish that G&L uses? Or would you advise paying extra for a light tint finish, rather than waiting (potentially forever)?

Thanks!

Re: Clear neck darkening over time

Sat May 11, 2019 11:07 pm

It's true. Poly finishes don't really change color. I mean like, over the course of 5-10 years it might darker a LITTLE in the same way signs outside a store gets a bit sun damaged.

The reason nitro finishes darken isn't because of the wood. It's because the lacquer reacts with UV radiation and gets that amber yellow tint. Candy Apple red turns rust colored. LPB turns emerald green. Olympic white turns banana pudding. Sonic blue turns sonic teal. You get the picture.

Get vintage tint satin if you want a dark neck. I have two G&L's with "light tint gloss" and I think they're slightly too light. Not different enough from clear.

Poly finishes "lock in the color" for the most part. Get the closest to the colors you want before they're sealed in.

Alternatively, go Custom shop and get nitro and/or a roasted maple neck.

Sun May 12, 2019 12:28 am

Thank you that makes it very clear!

I do like a light tint so I will probably go for that. Vintage tint is a little too yellow for me.

Sun May 12, 2019 8:55 am

look at the vintage tint for tributes and vintag tint for Usa. they're different. the tributes are very mustard yellow. the usa is more of a tasteful amber. you may still want light tint but still try and look at both and compare.

Sun May 12, 2019 11:51 am

I'd go for the light tint. It may be the more conservative choice, but you'll never look at it and go, "Yaaaaa, I really kinda don't like that". Whereas if you get the vintage tint, you may love it, but you might go, "Yaaaaa, I really kinda don't like that". Just my 2 cents.

Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks for that additional information. I own a tribute and indeed find it way to yellow. Since I have no possibility to look at USA models, I'll probably go the conservative route since I don't mind it being a little on the white side, but don't like the yellow, or mustard tone much.

Basically I just don't want the guitar to look sterile (to my eyes). Looking at this http://glguitars.com/usa-options-neck-finishes/, I do like the light tint.
Last edited by majnu on Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 pm

here's the comanche with light tint neck
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... emId=23821

Mon May 13, 2019 12:05 am

Thank you all, that was very helpful and clarifying. I've just placed my order with light tint satin :D