The New Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk just announced ...

Thu May 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk
Like the original G&L Skyhawk of 1984, it starts with George Fullerton’s evolved double-cutaway with a hint of offset, a slim waist and generous curves.
This very comfortable body is complemented by his arched pickguard shape, his most most pleasing iteration of the form.

The elegant pickguard meets a beautiful control plate in chrome, a perfect backdrop for the exquisitely machined and chrome plated CLF knobs for volume,
treble and bass. The Skyhawk features a Leo Fender-designed Dual-Fulcrum vibrato, a work of engineering art which allows bending up or down with
unsurpassed stability, while offering a silky feel through its beefy aluminum vibrato arm.

You’ll find plenty of punch in the MFD pickups, but what’s surprising is how glassy and detailed they become as you roll back the volume and bass controls,
the latter a part of the Skyhawk's PTB™ (Passive Treble and Bass) system which functions on all three pickups. What’s more, the Skyhawk includes a mini-toggle
switch to allow neck+bridge or all three pickups together. In a pinch, the neck+bridge combo does a convincing faux ASAT™ Special. Talk about versatile!

Available in the following finishes:
3-Tone Sunburst over Alder body, Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss
3-Tone Sunburst over Alder body, Maple fingerboard, Vintage Gloss
Clear Orange over Ash body, Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss
Clear Orange over Ash body, Maple fingerboard, Vintage Gloss

phpBB [video]

Here is the link to the webpage on G&L's main website: Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk.

Re: The New Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk just announced ...

Thu May 02, 2019 4:03 pm

for the love of GOD, G&L, PLEEEASE reissue the HG-2R angled offset MFD HUMBUCKERSSSS

Thu May 02, 2019 4:08 pm

neutralomen wrote:for the love of GOD, G&L, PLEEEASE reissue the HG-2R angled offset MFD HUMBUCKERSSSS

You might contact a G&L Custom Shop dealer and ask them to find out if G&L would be willing to make them via the Custom Shop.

Just a thought. ;)

Thu May 02, 2019 6:08 pm

If I'm being honest, I really don't understand G&L's current marketing strategy. These are probably awesome guitars, but between these and the latest HH models, I see brand/value dilution going on...not value add. In my opinion the Doheny & Fallout are great examples of introducing an exciting new product. Both models offer a unique proposition and hold a clearly identified position in the product mix. To me this is simply a low effort rebadged S-500. Now I get the Skyhawk has a historical position within the company, but a little effort to differentiate it and create a compelling user experience would be appreciated. Of course, this is simply my opinion. It's worthless outside of my own head. However, I would say I fall squarely within G&L's target market and their current approach is simply not sitting well with me. Again, personal opinion only.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 pm

The confusing part to me is: There used to be a single tier of American G&L guitars, any of which could be ordered with the company's numerous finishes, woods, neck profiles, etc. And the thing I think gets lost is: You still mostly can. But G&L seems to have also created the specific 'Fullerton' packages of options so that at retail, a dealer can advertise a single spec. 'Fullerton Deluxe' or 'Fullerton Standard' depending on the tier of options incorporated. Maybe dealers wanted more uniform guitars, and the ability to associate what previously could have been labeled on paper as simply a 'USA G&L ASAT' with different price levels or marketing strategies. Again though - this doesn't seem to have killed the ability of anyone to order a G&L 'the old way,' since the 'Option Order' category exists.

It blurries things further, that there is now a 'Custom Shop' which goes above/beyond what 'Option Order' (aka the regular 'old way of ordering a G&L) ever did - But I don't think that's made obvious in the naming. Some people may skim the surface, and assume that Custom Shop now simply means G&L gives an additional up-charge for any personalization. Then CLF gets thrown in as yet another category. I think G&L is trying to increase brand-name recognition around 'CLF,' but to most casual guitar players it's not obvious what CLF means or that it's basically a 'Classic' series; especially since even the Espada and Doheny V12 are thrown into 'CLF,' and they together have just about as little to do with '80s G&L as possible, even if they're 'in the spirit.'

So back to the original point made about how the Skyhawk and S500 are about the same guitar - I think most of us were really happy to see the 'old' Leo style return vs. the new 'BBE' style, in part because we think G&L should never have gone away from the original body aesthetic. But I think it's a bit too late to go back and say the market doesn't now expect a G&L to be 'as close as possible to a Fender, but with better quality and engineering enhancements.' In other words, to satisfy both markets G&L probably has to make both the 'new' S500 and the 'old' Skyhawk at the same time.

Most here seem to express more excitement for the future of G&L and the CLF series - rather than say running out and buying a new Skyhawk. We're aficionados who appreciate G&Ls old quirks, or would like an opportunity to buy/play one of the less obtainable early G&L models (like a Cavalier, HG2 , G200 , F100 etc.) So it's difficult to look at the Skyhawk, and think they're only one or two parts away from having the guitar we really want. I can't really comment on this right now, other than it seems that G&L has shown a great spirit lately (in re-issuing the Skyhawk and 1k/2k basses in the first place) and still introducing new concepts like the Doheny V12 and Espada. G&L is not afraid to tool up things to give the market what they think it wants, so I'm excited.

So short version - My suggestions:

-Limit confusion by going down to only three series of guitars - Fullerton, Tribute, and Custom Shop. ('Fullerton' means anything from the Fullerton factory that isn't Custom Shop - So ex-CLF models, ex-Fullerton Standard/Deluxe, and Option Order.)

-Make it clear that a buyer of a 'Fullerton' G&L can spec. a guitar how they want, and similarly make it clear that a Custom Shop offering is ultra-exclusive. (If Dealers/online retailers want guitars with certain packages of options, then give them guitars with those options - but don't make it seem like they're getting something different than if a customer orders that same guitar.)

-Continue developing new 'historic' models and pursuing innovative concepts based on heritage - but I think the CLF moniker is more confusing than anything. At least this is where I think G&L is doing a great job: Think of the awesome guitars that came out in just the last year or two, onward from the Doheny :D

-Last: Sort out the terrible website design. It's awkward to have to pick from one of six(!) nebulously named series of guitars, and be thrown into an alphabetical list that doesn't sort by model

Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Danley wrote:The confusing part to me is: There used to be a single tier of American G&L guitars, any of which could be ordered with the company's numerous finishes, woods, neck profiles, etc. And the thing I think gets lost is: You still mostly can. But G&L seems to have also created the specific 'Fullerton' packages of options so that at retail, a dealer can advertise a single spec. 'Fullerton Deluxe' or 'Fullerton Standard' depending on the tier of options incorporated. Maybe dealers wanted more uniform guitars, and the ability to associate what previously could have been labeled on paper as simply a 'USA G&L ASAT' with different price levels or marketing strategies. Again though - this doesn't seem to have killed the ability of anyone to order a G&L 'the old way,' since the 'Option Order' category exists.

It blurries things further, that there is now a 'Custom Shop' which goes above/beyond what 'Option Order' (aka the regular 'old way of ordering a G&L) ever did - But I don't think that's made obvious in the naming. Some people may skim the surface, and assume that Custom Shop now simply means G&L gives an additional up-charge for any personalization. Then CLF gets thrown in as yet another category. I think G&L is trying to increase brand-name recognition around 'CLF,' but to most casual guitar players it's not obvious what CLF means or that it's basically a 'Classic' series; especially since even the Espada and Doheny V12 are thrown into 'CLF,' and they together have just about as little to do with '80s G&L as possible, even if they're 'in the spirit.'

So back to the original point made about how the Skyhawk and S500 are about the same guitar - I think most of us were really happy to see the 'old' Leo style return vs. the new 'BBE' style, in part because we think G&L should never have gone away from the original body aesthetic. But I think it's a bit too late to go back and say the market doesn't now expect a G&L to be 'as close as possible to a Fender, but with better quality and engineering enhancements.' In other words, to satisfy both markets G&L probably has to make both the 'new' S500 and the 'old' Skyhawk at the same time.

Most here seem to express more excitement for the future of G&L and the CLF series - rather than say running out and buying a new Skyhawk. We're aficionados who appreciate G&Ls old quirks, or would like an opportunity to buy/play one of the less obtainable early G&L models (like a Cavalier, HG2 , G200 , F100 etc.) So it's difficult to look at the Skyhawk, and think they're only one or two parts away from having the guitar we really want. I can't really comment on this right now, other than it seems that G&L has shown a great spirit lately (in re-issuing the Skyhawk and 1k/2k basses in the first place) and still introducing new concepts like the Doheny V12 and Espada. G&L is not afraid to tool up things to give the market what they think it wants, so I'm excited.

So short version - My suggestions:

-Limit confusion by going down to only three series of guitars - Fullerton, Tribute, and Custom Shop. ('Fullerton' means anything from the Fullerton factory that isn't Custom Shop - So ex-CLF models, ex-Fullerton Standard/Deluxe, and Option Order.)

-Make it clear that a buyer of a 'Fullerton' G&L can spec. a guitar how they want, and similarly make it clear that a Custom Shop offering is ultra-exclusive. (If Dealers/online retailers want guitars with certain packages of options, then give them guitars with those options - but don't make it seem like they're getting something different than if a customer orders that same guitar.)

-Continue developing new 'historic' models and pursuing innovative concepts based on heritage - but I think the CLF moniker is more confusing than anything. At least this is where I think G&L is doing a great job: Think of the awesome guitars that came out in just the last year or two, onward from the Doheny :D

-Last: Sort out the terrible website design. It's awkward to have to pick from one of six(!) nebulously named series of guitars, and be thrown into an alphabetical list that doesn't sort by model

For details on why they made these changes last year, see this post: New G&L U.S. Model Categories ...

Hope this helps.

Thu May 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Or.... one could just buy one of 'The Real Ones" for much less $...

Fri May 03, 2019 4:13 am

I, too, am pleased that CLFR has re-produced the old body and pickguard style Skyhawk, and that it is available in a "Fullerton" production model version. As they advertise, I think there is some magic in the aesthetic of the body design that sets it apart from the newer strat-like body styles of the s-500/legacy/comanche. I guess the expander switch, as is seen on the modern s-500 and comanche, is an added plus. I have the '84 skyhawk, and I had trouble personally reconciling the coexistence of the old sky(night)hawk and the old s-500, which had slightly different pickups and circuit and otherwise a very similar appearance aside from the squared off p'ups and the angle of the bridge p'up. What G&L hasn't brought back is the 80's neck, with the slimmer profile, and the thin fretboard, ebony standard initially and '80's frets. This, and the mojo factor, are reasons why I prefer having the old one. They are relatively hard to find and not always in great shape or favorably priced, though. The market is the market. We'll see how the old style skyhawks do over the next couple years. The guitar market is saturated but nuance and innovation do matter.

Fri May 03, 2019 5:48 am

I love seeing a return of the classics, but this image sums up my experience:

It would be nice to finally get some southpaw representation (z-coil, etc too).

Regards,
Will

Fri May 03, 2019 6:00 am

willross wrote:I love seeing a return of the classics, but this image sums up my experience:

It would be nice to finally get some southpaw representation (z-coil, etc too).

Regards,
Will

Left-handed versions are available on all instruments except where noted as "(right-hand only)".
See: January 23, 2019-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Hope this helps.

Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 am

There are Tribute left handed models listed on the website - not that it's very easy or intuitive to find them or sort for them.

Another thing I really dislike about the website is the pictures are so huge you can barely see a whole guitar on the screen, and you have to scroll endlessly through rows of giant guitars to see the entirety of what's offered in each line. Buyer interested in a Tribute Skyhawk, or Lefty Legacy? Make sure you scroll all the way to the end of the last page, or you might not realize they exist. Want a Doheny or Fallout? It's buried in the middle, hope you don't miss it. Nitpicky stuff, but annoying.

Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am

I am excited about the direction G&L has taken. Especially excited about the return of the original aesthetics. If I was in the market for a S type guitar, the new Skyhawk would be high on my list. But my SC-3 fills that itch. What I'm really hoping for is CLF version of the SC-2. To me the addition of the control plate adds quite a bit, and I prefer the top jack rather than side jack (I'm probably in the minority on the jack placement). I also really want them to come out with a CLF HG-2, there are so few of them that the only realistic chance to play one would be if they reissue the instrument. I thought the reissue F-100 was tastefully done, but I get the feeling the MFD buckers really could use the PBT system. SC-2, HG-2, and F-100 are still high on my list to acquire, I'm just waiting for the right one, right time.

As for the new models, I think they have done a excellent job. Fallout has been out a while, but it is great guitar. There have been several times I've been tempted to get a Doheny. If it would of had a more traditional vibrato system, I probably would have already got one. The Espada is uber cool in my opinion. Love the old G&L headstock, tweaks to the T style body and flowing control plate. If I hadn't picked up the ASAT Z-2 already, I probably would have ordered an Espada.

As for the Fullerton Standard and Deluxe, I don't view them as different than built to order (though I would probably go built to order, so I could exact specs I want). To me they are the same models and quality. But what it does is lets G&L set-up and build in a more efficient manner which allows them to reduce the cost to the dealers and final customers. So for those who don't want to pick out their color, neck profile, radius, etc... I is a great way to get into G&L more easily. I think it can only help the brand.

So I am excited about the future of G&L. Now if I could get some sweet G&L swag!

Cheers,
Dan

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi all. Can someone confirm the differences between CLF Research and Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk? From the G&L product pages, I can see that the only differences seem to be the specs in body wood and neck wood (along with harshell case vs gig bag). Is that correct? I also noticed the string trees look different, as well as the logo placement. I'm trying to decide between the two and want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks.

CLF™ Research Skyhawk
https://glguitars.com/product/clf-research-skyhawk/
CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
SCALE: 25 1/2"
PICKUPS: Leo Fender†-designed G&L MFD™ single coils
BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash for Clear Blue and Natural Ash, Okoume for Old School Tobacco, Basswood for Pharaoh Gold Firemist
NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
NECK PROFILE: G&L Modern Classic with 9 1/2" radius and 1 11/16" nut-width
NUT: 100% natural bone
FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel, Plek dressed
TUNING KEYS: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum™ vibrato with forged brass saddles
CONTROLS: 5-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system), mini-toggle switch enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together.
CASE: Deluxe Tolex hardshell
No Options Available

Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk
https://glguitars.com/product/fullerton-deluxe-skyhawk/
BODY WOOD: Ash body for Clear Orange and Cherryburst, Alder body for 3-tone sunburst and Lake Placid Blue
NECK WOOD: Vintage Tint Satin Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
CONTROLS: 5-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system), mini-toggle switch enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together.
CASE: G&L deluxe gig bag
No Options Available

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Broadcaster wrote:Hi all. Can someone confirm the differences between CLF Research and Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk? From the G&L product pages, I can see that the only differences seem to be the specs in body wood and neck wood (along with harshell case vs gig bag). Is that correct? I also noticed the string trees look different, as well as the logo placement. I'm trying to decide between the two and want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks.

CLF™ Research Skyhawk
https://glguitars.com/product/clf-research-skyhawk/
BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash for Clear Blue and Natural Ash, Okoume for Old School Tobacco, Basswood for Pharaoh Gold Firemist
NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
CASE: Deluxe Tolex hardshell
No Options Available

Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk
https://glguitars.com/product/fullerton-deluxe-skyhawk/
BODY WOOD: Ash body for Clear Orange and Cherryburst, Alder body for 3-tone sunburst and Lake Placid Blue
NECK WOOD: Vintage Tint Satin Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
CASE: G&L deluxe gig bag
No Options Available

One thing you missed on The CLF Research Skyhawk models are:
Available in the following thin urethane finishes:
Clear Blue over Swamp Ash, 3-ply Black pickguard, Maple fingerboard
Natural Gloss [aka Natural Ash] over Swamp Ash, 3-ply Black pickguard, Maple fingerboard
Old School Tobacco Sunburst over Okoume, 3-ply Black pickguard, Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
Pharaoh Gold Firemist over Basswood, 3-ply Black pickguard, Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard

The Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk finishes are all Polyurethane finishes.

Hope this helps.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks!

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:54 am

Gloss finish neck on CLF, satin on Fullerton Deluxe.
Vintage string tree bracket on CLF, modern on Fullerton Deluxe.
Vintage style 3/16” vibrato arm with plastic tip on CLF, standard USA vibrato arm on FD.
Black crinkle on CLF, chrome on FD.
Hard case with CLF, gig bag with FD.