Finish Checking vs Buckle Rash

Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am

I recently added a nice used ASAT Special 3 that is definitely a player's guitar. On the back of the guitar, there's a section where the finish is checking and the color underneath is beginning to fade a bit. My other guitars with buckle rash usually have a few scrapes, dents, or dings. The finish on this one is perfectly smooth, which makes me think something is going on with the finish itself. I've never seen this on a Poly finish guitar, but the checking has a broken glass spider web effect. Any idea what's going on? Is this normal buckle rash or a finish issue? Thanks for the insight.

Re: Finish Checking vs Buckle Rash

Wed May 01, 2019 8:45 am

Here's another shot. Probably cover 25% of the upper bout.

Wed May 01, 2019 9:25 am

I am no expert at all for this but I always associated buckle rash (?) with those scratch markings which rasped off the lacquer... Could it be that the player sweated insanely in the belly region and this left the crackles and strange color?

Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 am

yucafrita wrote:I am no expert at all for this but I always associated buckle rash (?) with those scratch markings which rasped off the lacquer... Could it be that the player sweated insanely in the belly region and this left the crackles and strange color?

I had no idea one could sweet through Poly. The former owner must have been pretty beastly, and stinky, to pull that off :) . It is right near where my belly touches so I guess it could be the case.

Tue May 07, 2019 10:24 am

I'll let it go after this, but does anyone else have any other opinions on what's going on? Given how the color is changing and the clear coat is spider webbing I'm leaning more towards a finish issue. Could this be a nitro finish?

Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I'll let it go after this, but does anyone else have any other opinions on what's going on? Given how the color is changing and the clear coat is spider webbing I'm leaning more towards a finish issue. Could this be a nitro finish?

I suggest you contact G&L Tech Support and send them the serial number and photos.
Please post a follow up once you hear back from them.

Hope this helps.

Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 am

I have no idea what is causing that but I would not characterize it as "buckle rash".

Wed May 08, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm no expert and it's hard to judge off just a photo but it does not look like typical checking to me.

Thu May 09, 2019 4:23 am

Sudden (extreme) changes in temperature will cause the wood to swell or shrink under the finish causing it to crack, and in the case of heat, discolor. This looks like the guitar was set down on a stand near a space heater - just close enough to mar the finish in this way.

I'm not saying that is what happened, but I think that's a credible explanation.