Fallout: AW4370 vs Seymour Duncan JB

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Does anyone have thoughts between these two pickups? Per the specs posted by Craig the JB appears to be much hotter, which would make me think the AW4370 may be a better match for the P90. With that said the JB is an iconic pickup...What are the general tone differences between the pickups. Do you prefer one over the other? For general rock and roll plus a bit of blues would one be better than the other? Thanks for the insight and I appreciate your time.

Re: Fallout: AW4370 vs Seymour Duncan JB

Thu May 02, 2019 5:29 am

So first I'll say I love Seymour Duncan, but the JB is not my favorite pickup. It's all mids - great for soloing, with a vocal quality - but a lot of the notes have strange harmonic content or something that makes rhythm playing a bit of a chore. If you like things like pinch harmonics or palm muting, the JB is not ideal because of this bizarre harmonic profile. If you like clean, crisp tones you'll probably find the JB has mushy bass, and is too hot to really clean up well. Any effort to dial down the mids or roll down the volume typically just turns things even mushier.

I have an AW4370 in my ASAT Tribute Deluxe - It's a much better balanced pickup. However, it will not do the 'vocal' distorted lead thing like the JB. Actually, I think the JB is the only pickup that really does that; really is that pickup's only party trick. If you go with Duncans, I'd recommend a Jazz Bridge, Screamin Demon (<-both my favorites,) Custom, or even a Distortion over a JB (unless you really only play distorted leads.)

Thu May 02, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks for the feedback. That's the exact insight I was hoping for. I'm all about clean tones so the JB is probably the wrong pickup for me. I really appreciate a well-balanced set of pickups. I like there to be tonal separation and a unique character, but I don't want a shock and awe experience switching between the neck and bridge. Sounds like the AW would pair nicely with a P90 and worth a shot.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:44 pm

It's odd to me that Seymour Duncan packages the JB and Jazz neck pickups together, because even they balance quite poorly volume-wise. It's a really bipolar setup (although I actually LOVE the Jazz humbuckers in neck or bridge - they're as wonderful clean as the JB is poor clean, and I really recommend them.) So I'd expect any lower output pickup to pair better with the P90 than a JB.

Going to one of your other posts: I really do want to try the Suhr Thornbuckers someday, on the topic of pickups. I tend to swap pickups too often (on my non-G&L guitars) much like your G&L search.

Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 pm

It’s interesting to see comments about the JB’s sonic qualities, it seems to be a pup that is loved by some and hated by others. I have used one in an epi 335 for about 15 years, with a SD ‘59 at the neck. They certainly sound better the the stock epi buckers, especially at band volumes. The JB is relatively hot and the ‘59 is fairly mellow by comparison. I do think they are pretty well balanced, and in the middle position I have to roll a little off the vol of the ‘59. I have found that rolling a little volume and treble off the JB Cleans it up and allows for some good tones. Fumble fingers has used a fallout extensively and could comment better on the balance between the JB and the p90. I have not used the g&l bucker so cant compare that one