Asat Classic solid ash VS Asat Bluesboy semi hollow ash??

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi,
I have an Asat classic that I love ,but there is a Bluesboy semi hollow for sale locally that I'm gassing for.
Do you feel there is enough difference between the two to justify the purchase ?
My classic has a maple fretboard and the Blues boy has a rosewood board.
I haven't tried the Bluesboy yet. :confused0007:

Re: Asat Classic solid ash VS Asat Bluesboy semi hollow ash??

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:39 pm

There's going to be a big difference in tone. Besides the difference you'd hear between a solid body and a semi-hollow, there's the big honkin' humbucker in the neck. If you're looking for two guitars that are similar in feel but very different in tone, then you've found you're pairing.

RickT

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:55 pm

if the guitar feels right, plays right and sounds right then definitely. you'll know once you try it.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 am

I have two solid body ASAT Classics and a semi-hollow Bluesboy and went through the same thought process - is it justifiable? Having decided (purely mentally) that is was okay, I pulled the trigger and got one. There is definitely enough difference to justify the purchase. I think the Bluesboy is at its best in semi-hollow mode, you can get an absolutely superb jazz tone from them. It's my favourite guitar. The hollow body makes a big difference to the sound of the bridge pickup and the humbucker in the neck is going to sound different anyway, but again, the hollow body pushes the potential sonic similarities between the two instruments further away. I don't think the rosewood board will add any difference to the sound. I've never believed that. To me it's purely aesthetic.

If you can, try it out, preferably through your own amplifier.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Well, I checked out the Bluesboy in question with all intensions of bringing it home with me ,but I didn't. :shocked028:
It was nice,and priced well, but it just didn't "Talk to me ".Glad I checked it out, 2 1/2 hour return road trip and all.
I'm a firm believer in jump on it when it feels right, but this one didn't.
"So many guitars,so little time" !