Legacy hum-cancelling question

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:32 pm

With my Legacy HB (or now called HSS) the Duncan JB humbucker has a switch to split the coils. In position 2 (bridge and middle on together) is the 2nd position supposed to be hum-cancelling with the humbucker not split?

Re: Legacy hum-cancelling question

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes, position 2 should be completely hum free. If it's not, but position 4 is hum free, it may be a loose wire or something very simple.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Hmmm. Position 4 is hum free. Position 2 is not totally hum free without being coil split, but definitely gets more hum when I do spilt the humbucker with it. I guess a wire must be loose somewhere then? Thanks.
Last edited by Toejam on Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:10 pm

A humbucker with both coils active + a single cannot hum cancel. You'd only get hum canceling when the RWRP coil of the humbucker (relative to the single) is combined with the single.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Danley wrote:A humbucker with both coils active + a single cannot hum cancel. You'd only get hum canceling when the RWRP coil of the humbucker (relative to the single) is combined with the single.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Guess the opposite coil of the humbucker would need to be split then. Thanks!