The New Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH Guitar ...

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:11 pm

Just announced:

The New Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH
The Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH delivers classic covered bucker tones kicked up a notch with pairing of a G&L AS4255C in the neck position and AW4368C at the bridge.
That's ASAT Deluxe territory, but Doheny HH adds G&L's PTB system which allows bass roll-off, a big advantage in high gain situations like cranked fuzz pedals.
Plus the push/pull coil tap serves up convincing single coil tones that further expand the potential of this versatile axe.

The Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH features a Leo Fender-designed Dual-Fulcrum vibrato, a work of engineering art which allows bending up or down with unsurpassed stability,
while offering a silky feel through its beefy aluminum vibrato arm.

The Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH is available in the following finishes:

• Black over Alder, Maple fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish

• Old School Tobacco Sunburst over Okoume, Caribbean rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish

phpBB [video]

Here is the link to the webpage on G&L's main website: Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH model.

Re: The New Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH Guitar ...

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Could pretty much see this coming - No prob. with it, sometimes it's nice to have humbuckers and offsets have better ergonomics than just about any other shape IMO. Even though I tend to be a bigger offset purist than most...

I wish they'd think up some sort of headstock logo for the Doheny; something with a wave tube motif?

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Besides body shape, are these basically identical to the Skyhawk HH?

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Besides body shape, are these basically identical to the Skyhawk HH?

Here are the specs for each, so you can compare:

NEW! Fullerton Deluxe Doheny™ HH [Added 3/28/2019]
Available in the following finishes:
Jet Black over Alder, Maple fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish
Old School Tobacco Sunburst over Okoume, Caribbean rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish

Pickups: G&L AS4255C humbucker in neck position; G&L AW4368C humbucker in bridge position
Body wood: Okoume body for Old School Tobacco Sunburst, Alder body for Jet Black
Neck wood: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
Neck profile: Modern Classic
Radius: 9.5”
Frets: 21 medium jumbo
Nut: 100% natural bone
Tuning keys: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
Bridge: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum™ vibrato with forged brass saddles
Controls: 3-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system), push/pull coil tap for both pickups
Case: deluxe Tolex hardshell
No Options Available

NEW! Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk™ HH [Added 3/21/2019]
Old School Tobacco Sunburst over Okoume, Caribbean rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish
Surf Green over Alder body, Caribbean rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish

Pickups: G&L AS4255C humbucker in neck position; G&L AW4368C humbucker in bridge position
Body wood: Okoume body for Old School Tobacco Sunburst, Alder body for Surf Green
Neck wood: Hard-Rock Maple with Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
Neck profile: Modern Classic
Radius: 9.5”
Nut: 100% natural bone
Tuning keys: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
Bridge: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum™ vibrato with forged brass saddles
Controls: 3-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system), push/pull coil tap for both pickups
Case: deluxe Tolex hardshell
No Options Available

Reference post: January 25, 2018-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Here is a photo of each:
ImageImage

Hope this helps.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:46 pm

I'm in no way a marketing/sales expert, but this honestly confuses me. Why simultaneously release two virtually identical guitars? Seems like each will dilute the others market and possibly drag down sales for both models. Each guitar is pretty special on it's own, but now compared to each other both are a little less cool to me...they kind of lost the exclusive feel. It would be a different story if they offered different pickups, electronics, exclusive finishes or something.

With that said, do I personally want one of each? You betcha! :banana:

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I'm in no way a marketing/sales expert, but this honestly confuses me. Why simultaneously release two virtually identical guitars? Seems like each will dilute the others market and possibly drag down sales for both models. Each guitar is pretty special on it's own, but now compared to each other both are a little less cool to me...they kind of lost the exclusive feel. It would be a different story if they offered different pickups, electronics, exclusive finishes or something.

With that said, do I personally want one of each? You betcha! :banana:

The Doheny/offset body feels significantly different from the Strattier Skyhawk body. Yes, the electronics and the bridge are the same, but the feel of the two will be very different (like between a Jazzmaster and a Strat). Some people really, really love the offset body; others really, really dislike it. So you've got options.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:25 am

They already made a Humbucking offset. It called a V12 and that is the one I want.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:19 pm

glvourot wrote:They already made a Humbucking offset. It called a V12 and that is the one I want.

Agree! Plus the V12 comes with the crazy switching options...seems like a whole lot more guitar for not that much more money.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:27 pm

I'd also rather have a V12, but TBH offering this with standard buckers is just a no-brainer and will draw people to G&L.

Also: The Doheny also uses a 21 fret Fender-style neck with a curved end, vs. the regular G&L 22 fret.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:10 pm

glvourot wrote:They already made a Humbucking offset. It called a V12 and that is the one I want.

Aren't they calling the V12 a limited edition? If so then it will be going away at some point and the HH will continue on as a regular production model.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:33 pm

John C wrote:

Aren't they calling the V12 a limited edition? If so then it will be going away at some point and the HH will continue on as a regular production model.

CLF Research instruments are not Limited Editions which have a specific number built, but more like Special Builds which have no production end date and no quantity limit.
They are built in batches after getting enough dealer orders to do a batch. See: Re: New Doheny V12 released by CLF Research.

Hope this helps.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:15 am

Craig wrote:
John C wrote:

CLF Research instruments are not Limited Editions which have a specific number built, but more like Special Builds which have no production end date and no quantity limit.
They are built in batches after getting enough dealer orders to do a batch. See: Re: New Doheny V12 released by CLF Research.

Hope this helps.

Thanks; I have always understood that CLF Research instruments were produced in batches (like the Fullerton Standards and Fullerton Deluxes). I just thought that the Doheny V12 was also going to be a limited number/production duration model as well - unlike the CLF Skyhawk which had no production end date or quantity limit.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:50 am

John C wrote:
Craig wrote:
John C wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks; I have always understood that CLF Research instruments were produced in batches (like the Fullerton Standards and Fullerton Deluxes). I just thought that the Doheny V12 was also going to be a limited number/production duration model as well - unlike the CLF Skyhawk which had no production end date or quantity limit.

Not that I understand and it's listed in the CLF Research Instruments without any special restrictions.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:48 am

Craig wrote:
John C wrote:
Craig wrote:
John C wrote:

Hope this helps.

Not that I understand and it's listed in the CLF Research Instruments without any special restrictions.

Yep - I misinterpreted the lack of the usual type of photos as meaning it was going to be a limited run - and you know what happens when you assume. :lol:

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:45 pm

I think both of these will have their appeal. Personally the Skyhawk HH grabs my attention more than the Doheny HH. I'd be more interested in the Doheny V12 vs the Doheny HH. That Skyhawk is actually quite striking in appearance.

Cheers, Dan